England tour of West Indies 2015

Thought that might be it. What kind of paces does Lewis Gregory throw down? I've seen him twice and he looked really impressive, but there was no speed gun at the ground, so I had no way of telling. He certainly didn't look express. He has similarly good stats to Roland-Jones though.
I think Gregory's about 82, but don't know for certain. Might as well give these kinds of players a go though; just look how well Josh Davey did for Scotland, not because of express pace but because he did that "thinking" stuff that the ECB discourages.

I think Gregory's about 82, but don't know for certain. Might as well give these kinds of players a go though; just look how well Josh Davey did for Scotland, not because of express pace but because he did that "thinking" stuff that the ECB discourages.

I thought Davey was lucky more than anything. I can see why he can't get into the Somerset 1st eleven.

I think good pace is becoming a big feature of successful teams these days, so I can see why England wouldn't want to go for too many sub 85mph bowlers. Saying that, Broad and Anderson weren't bowling quick during the WC, and every 85mph+ bowler coached by Saker has ended up losing pace, with exception of Woakes, who has got quicker. However, that's probably more to do with the year he had away from the national team after the 2013 oval test.

I thought Davey was lucky more than anything. I can see why he can't get into the Somerset 1st eleven.

I think good pace is becoming a big feature of successful teams these days, so I can see why England wouldn't want to go for too many sub 85mph bowlers. Saying that, Broad and Anderson weren't bowling quick during the WC, and every 85mph+ bowler coached by Saker has ended up losing pace, with exception of Woakes, who has got quicker. However, that's probably more to do with the year he had away from the national team after the 2013 oval test.

Woakes bulked up significantly however he has always had the ability to bowl fast, he did it years ago but lost the movement that had made him a huge threat and arguably behind onions only as the most feared opening bowler in div 1, so he dropped it back down and then played the oval, admittedly his is now the quickest ive ever seen him at, and the quickest england quick we have, its the fact he has regained the movement, which is key. Starc wouldnt have been half as effective if he didnt swing it

Woakes bulked up significantly however he has always had the ability to bowl fast, he did it years ago but lost the movement that had made him a huge threat and arguably behind onions only as the most feared opening bowler in div 1, so he dropped it back down and then played the oval, admittedly his is now the quickest ive ever seen him at, and the quickest england quick we have, its the fact he has regained the movement, which is key. Starc wouldnt have been half as effective if he didnt swing it

In this era of really flat wickets, if you're going to bowl slower than 85mph, then you have to be really skilful like an Anderson or Zaheer Khan. Starc has the gift of being able to bowl very quickly and also get lots of movement. There's no reason why he shouldn't end up with at least 400 test wickets, if his body can cope.

In this era of really flat wickets, if you're going to bowl slower than 85mph, then you have to be really skilful like an Anderson or Zaheer Khan. Starc has the gift of being able to bowl very quickly and also get lots of movement. There's no reason why he shouldn't end up with at least 400 test wickets, if his body can cope.

Couldnt agree more, although fitness seems to be the reccuring issue with all the new AUs quicks, bit just imagine Starc,Pattinson,Hazlewood as an attack in a year or 2 if they could stay fit, even if they cant cummins,NCN,Sandhu etc.. I fear for future ashes.

The young standouts for us are Woakes,wood,Jordon,Finn, and the last 2 i really dont rate as test bowlers unless the finn regains his pace

I think he needs to focus on getting into the Sussex eleven before trying to emulate Starc's achievements.

Good to hear he can bring the ball back into the right handed batsman and then go around the wicket and take the ball away from him. Why doesn't he take any wickets then?

Still early days in his FC career.

Trott has guaranteed his number 2 spot now. Nice to see Stokes bowling well. I think we'll need a strong performance from Stokes this year if we are to have any success.

At least with Saker out he hopefully won't have his action remodelled and brought down to 83mph and no more accurate.
I wouldn't bet on that. At least he's not gone to Worcestershire and been banned from eating bread.

Trott has guaranteed his number 2 spot now. Nice to see Stokes bowling well. I think we'll need a strong performance from Stokes this year if we are to have any success.
Wouldn't be so sure of that; Ballance is clearly treading water, and I'd say there's a chance of Trott reclaiming that position.

I wouldn't bet on that. At least he's not gone to Worcestershire and been banned from eating bread.

Wouldn't be so sure of that; Ballance is clearly treading water, and I'd say there's a chance of Trott reclaiming that position.

Ballance won't lose his place in the side. He's been second only to Root in terms of test success in the last 12 months. Therefore, how does Lyth get into the team? You'd have to drop Bell. That won't happen.

Does anyone know why they're playing two 2 day games in 4 days, rather than one 4 day game?

Also, could they not have found a better oppo than this?

If Broad is injured and out of the first test, I think Tredwell will come in rather than another seamer. It sounds like we'll need both Rashid and Tredwell anyway if the pitches are like people are predicting. Tredwell seems to have bowled well in the warm ups.

Users who are viewing this thread