England tour of West Indies 2015

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think the last Test depends entirely on the pitch. With the form the England batting lineup is showing, I just don't see them getting knocked over twice, on the kind of surfaces they've played on so far. Especially now that they're 1-0 up, there's no way that they'll drop a batsman or all rounder to bring in a bowler. West Indies need to provide a pitch that offers the bowlers something and then have a crack at winning a lower scoring game.

bigred

Club Captain
I cannot believe England are thinking about replacing Stokes with Lyth if he's injured. How is that going to help the balance of the side?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I cannot believe England are thinking about replacing Stokes with Lyth if he's injured. How is that going to help the balance of the side?
Where did you hear that? All I've heard is Plunkett for Stokes. Which is a shame, I'd have gone Lyth for Trott and Plunkett for Jordan but if Stokes is injured fair enough. Still think they are missing a trick not playing Lyth though.

bigred

Club Captain
Where did you hear that? All I've heard is Plunkett for Stokes. Which is a shame, I'd have gone Lyth for Trott and Plunkett for Jordan but if Stokes is injured fair enough. Still think they are missing a trick not playing Lyth though.

Sky Sports reports suggested Lyth for Stokes, with Trott moving down to 3. Cricinfo are suggesting that they'll play 2 spinners and Rashid will play instead of Stokes. I would find both options strange, as it's the pitch that you'd be least likely to need 2 spinners on out of the three, historically.

If Stokes isn't injured then I'd keep the same team and give Trott one more test. I'd also be keeping a close eye on Broad and Jordan, as if they have another mediocre one, they should be replaced by Wood and Plunkett for the lord's test.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I... think we might be watching Jonathan Trott's last test match - definitely as opener

If he's opening the batting at Lords against New Zealand then I'll have lost all hope in English cricket. Unless he smacks a double hundred or something he's gone

grkrama

National Board President
Unless he smacks a double hundred

even a century would buy him more matches with the setup. I feel he was rushed in.He is a good and respectable bloke though its a bit sad to see him fail like this. Lyth and others would be wondering why they were on the tour though, would have been the best place to experiment new openers rather than against kiwis or aussies

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
That's the thing: England have now to put in a new opener for the English summer (which you'd guess is Lyth, but he might only have one Championship game before Lords); and considering that they are playing two of the three best fast bowling attacks in the world in New Zealand and Australia (don't think I'm exaggerating at all) then he'll probably make a few mistakes and then people will start calling for his head.

Its not just Trott failing again but the way that he got out: that's exactly the way that your Australian quicks will try to get him out and he played it terribly - you can't be walking down the pitch towards a bouncer...

superfreddie

Club Captain
it's very sad really but we should never have been putting a square peg into a round hole.
Yeah the Aussies would love Trott to be picked for the ashes, sad, but he has to go. On another note how is Samuels not called for chucking. He's as bad as Ajmal was at his worst.

bigred

Club Captain
Trott is playing his last test.

Interesting thing now is, do they give Lyth a go as he's next in line, or do they go for a KP '05 style selection and pick Hales?

Thrilled for Cook. He's a good man. Leads by example. I don't necessarily enjoy watching him bat, but he can play how he wants with his record.

Haven't seen must of today's play. Is 240-7 fair enough on that pitch?

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Haven't seen must of today's play. Is 240-7 fair enough on that pitch?

Its a road like the other pitches, although this one actually has some bounce and the ball has swung

so no; although with Trott and Bell giving away their wickets and it is an expected score

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
I've been watching and listening to most of it (and missed the Ballance and Bell wickets); I've not seen a great deal move off the pitch: Trott was done by bounce and his inckling to walk towards short balls; the other wickets seem to have mostly been because of swing. There's a bit of pace and bounce, but its nothing remarkable and something that you'd hope an England team would be used to.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So pleased for Cook. His 26th Test century, and in an innings where Ballance and Root, who had done all the work in the series so far, were out cheaply. He had to do the job for the team today and he did it. He's had to deal with so much abuse in the last year or so and to see him come out of it like this is a real sign of the man.

Users who are viewing this thread