England tour to South Africa December 2015/February 2016

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Morkel is clearly immensely enjoying this show, didn't want to take that dolly of a catch to end it.

Jokes apart Bairstow has become a little too loose for his own good. He looks like he could get out any shot. He could be just a tad bit more selective with his shots.

Does it really matter?

PokerAce

Banned
What's Cook thinking here then?

1. Declare at tea. (Score will be somewhere around 680-700)
2. Put 600 on the board and declare.
3. Just rub their noses in it and bat beyond tea.

I vote #3[DOUBLEPOST=1451823414][/DOUBLEPOST]
Does it really matter?

Not getting out ALWAYS matters. There is a double hundred for the taking (at the very least).[DOUBLEPOST=1451823490][/DOUBLEPOST]One would think Rabada would have learned not to bowl short to Stokes by now.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
That's got to be the worst way of getting out for 250+ ever. :lol

Cracking knock from Stokes and Bairstow though. Now to see how many we can knock over before Tea.

PokerAce

Banned
Well Done Stokes ... I don't think the declaration would have come if Stokes was still there, not with him, jsut 40 short of a triple. One of the finest parterships in tests ever. Well Done to both Stokes and Bairstow.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Probably best to come in with Jonny still in. He's got to keep wicket as well.

Maybe should have gone on for a bit longer though, let Stokes have a rest!

Moeen will be furious!

PokerAce

Banned
Can I say Van Zyl will be the first target for Eng. Not that they will mind getting Elgar, but Van Zyl generally is a fast scorer, Elgar likes to take his time. If Van Zyl sticks around SA could reach 60/70 briskly. Not that it is a huge thing right now, but the lesser the positives for SA, the better for Eng. Also after the hammering SA have taken in the field, SA would love a brisk start themselves.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i think it was an unneccessary declaration; i'd have kept them out and let the sun open them cracks more: this is still a great batting pitch.

i'd have sent word to Stokes and Bairstow they had until an hour after tea. Grind SA in to the dust.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Van Zyl Van Zyl Van Zyl...

On the other hand its not like we have a better opener in SA...

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
Elgar was 100% to blame for that: there was a single there.

Didn't see the wicket so might be wrong but even so theres no point pushing for a risky single in this situation...

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Cannot believe I missed an epic partnership and two brilliant knocks! Hats off to Stokes. Kudos to Bairstow as well for that innings.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
From a South African point of view if these two get in we can maybe salvage a draw. With AB still to come Hopefully we can bat out 3 1/2... Boy that sounds unlikely...

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
i think it was an unneccessary declaration; i'd have kept them out and let the sun open them cracks more: this is still a great batting pitch.

i'd have sent word to Stokes and Bairstow they had until an hour after tea. Grind SA in to the dust.

It feels weird to criticise Cook for declaring too early but I think I might agree with you.

I was gutted when Stokes let himself get run out. He's an amazing player sometimes but such a dope at others. Imagine how bad AB would have felt about that drop without the run out, and how much extra pressure that might have put on his batting.

Users who are viewing this thread