English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters

lancashire666

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Do you want to get a clue, or find someone so you can buy one?

One draw at Taunton last season and that was due to rain. Explain that one to me.

As for these couple of T20 players for Lancashire, what are you gonna do, offer them concert tickets as Payment? :D

Are you mad, they can just be allowed free entry into one of the corperate events at 'The Point', it is Jimmy Andersons "Benifit" year as its his 10th for Lancashire, cost to one of his events will be insane.

lancashire666

International Coach
Looking forward to seeing how Lancashire cope with chasing a target today, as long as we get the last 2 wickets quickly.

Our bowling attack looks so good this year, Kyle Hogg hasn't even made the team for this game as were playing 2 spinners, but I cant wait till Prince joines up with the team, even with him we still look a batsman short.
But if we could do it last year then why not again.

Looking for better performances from Cross this season, you need your keeper to get useful runs

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
County batsman everywhere enjoying their pre-seasons with games against the Uni sides. Apart from James Taylor who managed a first baller. :D

Seriously though, I know it's tradition, but it's a bit of a joke these being classed as First Class games. Napier blasted 100 off 48 Balls which makes him almost certain for Fastest Hundred of the summer, against a Second XI bowling attack essentially.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
It inflates records when it's not against good enough opposition frankly. I have no doubt that I'll be watching someone playing badly come the end of April, when someone will come on these very forums and tell me that he's in great form, because he's averaging 50, due to 300* against a bunch of students, followed by 6 ducks in a row.

And the aforementioned awards for County cricket like fastest hundred, being won against non-professionals.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
But they won't will they?

Because everyone looks at their record in county cricket for the year not first class matches.

----------

And the aforementioned awards for County cricket like fastest hundred, being won against non-professionals.

They're first class matches, not County matches.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Some of the university sides and minor counties have decent players. Mike Atherton played for Cambridge.
Also it's first game of the season so you expect players to be rusty.
Lancs for the championship again?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
But they won't will they?

Because everyone looks at their record in county cricket for the year not first class matches.

They won't what? Everyone went on about Taylor being in great form when he couldn't score a run in Division 2 of the Championship, but could against the touring Sri Lanka A, so I doubt people are filtering it that well to be honest.

And County games or First class games, whatever the correct wording is, it still counts towards awards like the one mentioned, when it shouldn't.

I'm tipping Lancashire to go down personally. :p

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
And I'm not arguing that there aren't some good players, because some of them are County Pros. But there are also a lot of players who aren't that great to be honest.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Anyone else find it a little worrying that the moment some pressure has been put on Taylor he's barely scored a run?

Is he another one of those young lads who have always scored runs, but are now struggling when things have gotten tough?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I had stupidly forgotten that being a Man Utd fan you're actually from Somerset not Lancashire. ;)

I must have missed the Football thread moving. :p I'm not from Somerset either though, quite.

Taylor's a good player, and will be a very good player, but he's just not ready now. Everyone telling him that he is, is doing him no good whatsoever. Let the lad play Cricket for a couple of years and see where he goes first.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Anyone else find it a little worrying that the moment some pressure has been put on Taylor he's barely scored a run?

Is he another one of those young lads who have always scored runs, but are now struggling when things have gotten tough?

I think it's because everyone was talking about him being in line for the England number 6 slot and there's definitely a vacancy (or two) there but now people are wondering if he's the right choice.

I must have missed the Football thread moving.

Well your username is a bit of a giveaway...

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I agree that he needs time, just hoping he's not one of those young players who have found batting very easy all their life and seem to really struggle once they enter a lean trot. A good start to the season and he could feasibly have earnt himself a spot?

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
And County games or First class games, whatever the correct wording is, it still counts towards awards like the one mentioned, when it shouldn't.

Exactly what are these awards I can't find any reference to the awards you're on about.

They won't what? Everyone went on about Taylor being in great form when he couldn't score a run in Division 2 of the Championship, but could against the touring Sri Lanka A, so I doubt people are filtering it that well to be honest.

There's a difference there though isn't there. Sri Lanka A are comparable to First Class teams if not better than quite a few of them.

Users who are viewing this thread