English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
I love this time of year. Bit colder than normal (to say the least!) but into the last few warm-up games before the season starts.

I'm feeling really optimistic about Somerset's chances this year. Hopefully our batting clicks and having Petersen in will help that and hopefully we'll see Compton a bit in the early season.

Also though, having Alfonso Thomas for the whole season is a huge bonus. I don't think he was as good last year, mainly due to playing in the IPL for so long, so hopefully he, Kirby and Trego can lead our inexperienced bowlers into a big season. Tricky start for us in the CC, so hoping for some good early form, as we always seem to be playing catchup. And hopefully this year, the word 'injury' doesn't appear so often on the official press releases!

Nice to see Bell-Drummond of Kent get a hundred today albeit against Cardiff MCCU.

Nice to see Bell-Drummond of Kent get a hundred today albeit against Cardiff MCCU.

Ye will be observing Bell-Drummond with great interest this season, given the hype he is getting. England have yet to produce a real top-class black cricketer in history or at minimum has seen a drought in black cricketers in county cricket since the start of the 2000s era.

All the black people of afro-caribbean or african decent are all for football in this country. So would be nice if cricket can finally tap into some of that talent.

Hard to take anything from the opening round of county matches but some performances will have caught a few eyes.

James Vince has had the technical ability for a couple of years now but hasn't got any 4 day runs to speak of. So his hundred will have pleased the selectors who have given him plenty of opportunities in the Lions.

I haven't seen a lot of Chris Rushworth, but he seems to get wickets consistently for Durham. They'll be a threat this year with their bowling attack. Onions put in another solid county performance and I hope that the selectors give him a chance to play against New Zealand ahead of Finn. Just think he'll attack the stumps more. Ben Stokes also seems to improve every time he bowls. If he can keep a lid on his drinking he won't be too far away from England's T20 squad at the very least.

Chopra continues his tradition of playing really well in April and May. Haven't seen much of him bat, but his stats are impressive since 2010.

One prediction- Bopara's bowling is good enough now to be the 5th bowler in the national side, and he'll be in the number 7 spot when England play their opener in the Champions trophy.

It is such a shame that the Indian broadcasters are not broadcasting the CC here this season.
Pity ,ESS ,they keep on telecasting the Champions League T20. Only if I remeber, they had bagged the contract again last year, to continue broadcasting it till 2017 I guess.
Lucky you, real cricket missing here. :(

It is such a shame that the Indian broadcasters are not broadcasting the CC here this season.

Very few LV=CC matches are broadcasted here, its mostly Pro40 and T20 that gets the coverage.

Joe Root continues to improve his CV & Ben Stokes all-rounder efforts is surely going to make a strong candidate to make the champions trophy squad.

Big double hundred from Chesney Hughes. Anguilla/Windies born, but with a UK passport.

I've always liked the look of him as player while watching on TV playing domestic cricket both in England and Leeward Islands. England could easily pick him in upcoming development touring squads, presuming though he doesn't want to play for the windies.

Just joined the forum. Great to see some sensible comment on the English game.

Being a Surrey fan I've been interested in the start Rory Burns has made. He's a long way down the list, it seems, for an international call up. Graeme Smith has yet to hit any sort of form, but I'm looking forward to him showing similar commitment as he did with Somerset a few seasons ago

Users who are viewing this thread