English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Good point. According to cricinfo he holds a british passport and is not classed as an 'overseas' player.

Another loss for Kent in the T20, just doesn't seem to be going for us at the moment and we can already forget about qualification from the group stage. I just don't understand why arguably our best batsman Brendan Nash isn't playing in the T20.

Rumours that Buttler will leave Somerset at the end of the season. The ironic part of this being that he isn't a better 'keeper than Kieswetter, which is why we don't always pick him to keep.

I wouldn't be surprised if he disappeared off to Warwickshire though, with Giles doing the nudging and winking, telling him he'll keep more for England if he moves.

Well, what a shock, Warwickshire in for Buttler and Compton. Like I said, no doubt there have been words from England in the shape of Giles, especially with regards to Buttler. Losing him would be horrible, because he's a local lad who has come up through the system and reached the very top. For some reason he feels he has to keep, even though he should be concentrating on his batting, which is more than good enough. With him not keeping at Somerset, I can understand him wanting to move, if he feels he has too, i.e. Giles has told him.

Compton though, what the hell is that about? We signed him as a bog standard county player who was going no where and turned him into an International Class opener, yet he's considering leaving? I guess that's the thanks you get in Cricket these days.

I'd love to see both of them stay, obviously, but the gap between the Counties with the bigger test match grounds and the rest, is only going to get bigger, with them signing everyone rather than bringing through their own. Another reason why it was a great strike for the little clubs with Northants winning the T20.

My rant obviously worked well, as Compton has signed a new contract today. One down, one to go.

Here's something that I've been wondering for a while now, what will happen in next years YB40 now the Unicorns won't be apart of it? Will it go to 2 groups? Don't understand why the Unicorns are being abolished from the competition. Thought it was a really good idea and it has proved to be a good pathway into the FC game for some good young cricketers.

Here's something that I've been wondering for a while now, what will happen in next years YB40 now the Unicorns won't be apart of it? Will it go to 2 groups? Don't understand why the Unicorns are being abolished from the competition. Thought it was a really good idea and it has proved to be a good pathway into the FC game for some good young cricketers.

I think the Unicorns are being taken out to balance the three groups as Scotland and I think the Netherlands are not playing in the FL20/YB50 next year. I could be wrong about that, though!

Broad never changes, does he? Bowls it full and gets it doing all sorts and being impossible to play, so then bangs it in short and gets put away. You can't bowl like that even to a decent County Pro.

Last edited:
Buttler's left Somerset then. Expected unfortunately. I think he's taken the easy way out, helped along by the England hierarchy.

It's a shame that a lad who's been at the club for 10+ years decides to leave rather than try to prove that he is the best wicket-keeper in the squad. As I've said before, he doesn't need the gloves to get to the very top. I hear he's going to Lancashire too? Strange decision to me. I mean sure, he'll keep wicket and probably earn a lot more money, but it's a side built around ageing stars and average younger players. Be interesting to see where they finish next year.

Buttler could be the Prior replacement in tests & across all formats soon. So i guess the ECB heads have used their influence to make sure he gets 1st team action (especially with the gloves) in FC cricket in the coming seasons when not on ENG duty.

At then end of the ECB can't pick playing XIs for Somerset & its not in the best interest of either Kieswetter & Buttler's international ambitions as keepers to be at the same club.

Plus of course unlike football, the England needs takes precedent over clubs in such cases - thus in the larger scheme of things its not really much of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread