English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Plus of course unlike football, the England needs takes precedent over clubs in such cases - thus in the larger scheme of things its not really much of an issue.
I'm sorry, but if you say this, then you don't understand the history and the feeling that goes into County Cricket from all involved. You talk to all those counties and ask them if they're just there for England's benefit and you'd get shouted out of most places. Counties are there for counties. That's the issue I have with this, Buttler embodies County Cricket history. He's a lad who has grown through the club from a young age and gone to the very top. Yet, instead of enjoying his career with his County, he's had his head turned by the likes of Giles, telling him that he has to keep wicket to succeed. Which is rubbish. If he wants to be England's best wicket-keeper, then prove that he's better than Kieswetter (who is a damn fine wicket-keeper) to get there.

The thing that really annoys me, is he could go to Lancashire and struggle to settle, yet do you think England will care? Of course not, they'll move on. Do you think Lancashire will care? No. If he doesn't perform he'll be moved on. This is the problem with the culture that the 'bigger' Counties have, of just signing whoever they want from the smaller sides, because money talks.

----------

Am I the only one who rates Buttler above Kieswetter in all forms? Massive loss for Somerset in my opinion.

Of course it's a big loss, he's a great player. Kieswetter is hardly a mug though. They're both as good in One Day and T20s, they just perform different roles. At the moment, Kieswetter is better in First Class cricket and he's a better wicket-keeper too. So while I agree that it's a big loss, he's not definitely better than Kieswetter in any form of the game, he's just better in what he does in One day cricket for example.

I'm sorry, but if you say this, then you don't understand the history and the feeling that goes into County Cricket from all involved. You talk to all those counties and ask them if they're just there for England's benefit and you'd get shouted out of most places. Counties are there for counties. That's the issue I have with this, Buttler embodies County Cricket history. He's a lad who has grown through the club from a young age and gone to the very top. Yet, instead of enjoying his career with his County, he's had his head turned by the likes of Giles, telling him that he has to keep wicket to succeed. Which is rubbish. If he wants to be England's best wicket-keeper, then prove that he's better than Kieswetter (who is a damn fine wicket-keeper) to get there.

The thing that really annoys me, is he could go to Lancashire and struggle to settle, yet do you think England will care? Of course not, they'll move on. Do you think Lancashire will care? No. If he doesn't perform he'll be moved on. This is the problem with the culture that the 'bigger' Counties have, of just signing whoever they want from the smaller sides, because money talks.

I very much understand the history of county cricket, i went to county matches at old trafford for years - but fact is coming of the dark 80s & 90s when county cricket produced minimal talent & ENG struggled on the world stage - it took the ECB's revamping of the county system and implementation of developmental, contract system & A-team tours during the Fletcher tenure as coach that has ENG where they are today.

So although we have a strong county culture (although i'd say he pull of crowd for county games now (especially FC matches) aint the same now as it was from 1900-1980s) - what ENG may need depending on the situation has to take precedent.

It would be great if Buttler given his connection to the club could stay & fight for his place. However lets not fool ourself even in modern football the idea of players who went through a club from youth days to senior & staying forever is long gone.

But ECB can't pick a team for Somerset on games days. Thus, if the somerset coaches are preferring to let Kieswetter keep more in FC matches (whether they think Kieswetter is better keeper of not) is in direct contradiction to what the ECB want because Kieswetter is down the pecking order in their minds.

From a county view, Buttler presence could help brings some good youth to their squad also & they could probably sign more players before next season. They recently got that talent young Zimbawe bloke Kyle Jarvis the other day Lancs my team have not had a top keeper sing Warren Hegg retired

I'm not doubting that it's the right thing for England, right now, I'm just saying if Buttler struggles for form he'll be dropped harder and faster than ever before. He's going from a County that he is literally at home at, to one with a very Jekyll and Hyde nature. Lancashire also seem to have a high turnover of players and who was the last young player to go there and really flourish? I mean no offence, but they've been based on Prince, Katich and Chapple for most of the season, albeit Hogg I think? doing quite well with the ball too. I'd understand it more if he was going to a more consistent County, but I guess most of those routes are blocked by the likes of Mustard, Read etc.

I wouldn't be sure about Lancashire signing too many more players either. The money they must have spent to get in some of those guys and with Buttler and Jarvis on top of that. Not to mention, why would you get rid of Cross? Surely you'd keep him as backup for when Buttler is away with England? Seems strange to me unless it's financially based.

Just seems like a strange decision from Buttler for me, where perhaps he's looking at the short term gains rather than the long term. I can understand moving, but Lancashire is the surprising part for me.

----------

On a brighter note for Somerset, Gemaal Hussain has now left the club. That 3 year contract went well. Hopefully it frees up some cash for a big signing.

Heard George Dobell say on Twitter than Trott is schedule to be back playing for Warwickshire @ the start of the season.

Anyone going to any games this year? Might try and go to some Essex games in Chelmsford for the T20. They used to play literally at the end of my road but stopped that.

A lot of wickets have fallen in the first games, so far;

Nottinghamshire 272 v 33/3 Lancashire
Middlesex 105 v 86/3 Sussex

Hampshire 87/3 v Worcestershire
Surrey 209/7 v Glamorgan

Kent have a very "experienced" bowling attack these days. Any good young bowlers kicking around?

We had Matt Coles but he jumped ship to Hampshire. Adam Ball is a decent prospect, Adam Riley too but it's the young Batsmen that have impressed me more. The likes of Sam Northeast (who is vice captain this season), Bell-Drummond, Cowdrey and Billings.

Yeah I can see Kent's strength is in the batting, might struggle to get 20 wickets consistently though. Really like the look of Bell-Drummond what I have seen of him.

might struggle to get 20 wickets consistently though.

Last season yes but this time round with the addition of Bollinger & Joseph I think our bowling is strengthened. The down side though is that Tredwell could be featuring a lot more for England in all forms of the game now that Swann has retired and we don't have a quality 2nd spinner for back up.

Really like the look of Bell-Drummond what I have seen of him.

Scored a century against Loughborough today! :thumbs

Looking at Gloucestershire's batting card its clear that the pitch is a "once you get in you score big". Top 3 scores from the innings were 139, 81 & 55. The next highest score was 6! There were two partnerships worth something (163 & 103) which means that 8 partnerships scored just 38 at an ave of 4.75!

It will be interesting to see how Hampshire deal with the pitch.

A century against Loughborough followed up by a half century against Worcestershire for Bell-Drummond :)

Did anyone watched Derbyshire's Tim Groenewald's hattrick in yesterday's Derbyshire v Essex match? I thought he was lucky. The last one looked going way down the leg and probably was a bit high too. That said, that was good bowling from the 30 year old particularly the in swingers.

Users who are viewing this thread