Finding the best schedule for world cricket

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Bilatteral ODI series are pointless. They need to play more tri-series and multinational tournaments that will reduce the number of potential dead rubber matches. I am personally in favor of scrapping those pointless 1 off or 2 match T20 series as well. Instead, relegate T20 to domestic cricket but for the T20 world cup. I personally am in favor of an IPL window.

I have a few more radical views in mind too. I'll share when I have some more time...

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
- Can test cricket, ODI & T20's co-exist or is time for one of the shorter formats to go?.

Of course they all can, they just need to lose some of the pointless tour series of ODIs and T20s and play more competitions which are far more interesting anyway.

- How can we make the Future tour programmes (FTP) more balanced, so that we don't have a case where teams like India, AUS, ENG, SA - dont see like they are avoiding playing teams like SRI, PAK, NZ, WI

Tiers. Why fight the fact that the aussies don't want to play the weaker sides as much? When they're good enough, which promotion would suggest, then the aussies wouldn't have a choice but to play them and it would be fixed length across the board anyway.

- Is the idea of a test match championship really a good idea, especially when it will based on a very faulty ranking system?

Despends how you do it. Six teams in a top tier playing each other home and away over 2-3 years is not going to be affected by a faulty ranking system. Even if you just played play-offs (eg ENG vs NZE, AUS vs WIN, PAK vs SAF, SRI vs IND, progressing to SFs etc) it wouldn't really be affected. Any championship where the ranking system played a major part would be sh it e anyway

- What is the best format for future 50 overs and t20 world cups and how many teams really should be part of each tournament?

How many teams should dictate the format. You have to decide if you want only a few of the stronger minnows, or more sides to take part.

If you go with say 16 teams then you have a short format to start with to eliminate the minnows, then a moderate length format to lead into QFs/SFs. What has been wrong with the competitions recently is TV want to show all the games and so it drags on, and on, and on, and on, and on........ However many teams there are, shouldn't be more than 36-39 games in length. That reduces fatigue etc.

Not that I care much about T20, hence why I didn't quote the IPL etc parts, they have every right to exist. What needs to be sorted out is priority, and players who choose IPL/whatever over an international event should be instantly banned from internationals for a fixed period. Other than that the fans of said competitions can wink themselves silly over it for all I care. I think I've watched maybe 2-3 hours of IPL in my life, not impressed and they can do what they want. Those who think cricket is all about sixes and wickets really should go follow some other high pace sport because they obviously don't truly appreciate cricket.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Of course they all can, they just need to lose some of the pointless tour series of ODIs and T20s and play more competitions which are far more interesting anyway.

Agreed.

Tiers. Why fight the fact that the aussies don't want to play the weaker sides as much? When they're good enough, which promotion would suggest, then the aussies wouldn't have a choice but to play them and it would be fixed length across the board anyway.

Can't agree with the tiers. Cricket is too small (only 8 strong test nations) to be having tiers. Surely its better for the game that we have 8 nations competing vs each other.

Thus the schedule of world cricket can be based stronger teams wanting to play teams who they think are going to be competitive or visa versa. It has be balanced & well structured like how the international schedule is in fifa world cup qualifiers for eg.

If the schedule is all about favouritism it almost like if you a predicting the future. Cause in the upcoming FTP from 2012-2019 i see India are scheduled to play australia & england in a lot f 4/5 test series - which never used to happen as you know.

This FTP was set up by the corrupt BCCI after India were jumping around with their false # 1 status. Now India are declining with all their legendary batsmen retiring & the sense of india playing such long series vs aus & eng in the future seems illogical.

So really the perfect test schedule would be a simple case of every team playing each other home/away in a 3 tests over 3 years. Only the Ashes because of tradition can remain 5 tests, s africa vs england/aus can be 4 tests & for rivalry even india vs pakistan can be 4-5 tests too.

how you do it. Six teams in a top tier playing each other home and away over 2-3 years is not going to be affected by a faulty ranking system. Even if you just played play-offs (eg ENG vs NZE, AUS vs WIN, PAK vs SAF, SRI vs IND, progressing to SFs etc) it wouldn't really be affected. Any championship where the ranking system played a major part would be sh it e anyway

Yes agreed. Except as i mentioned above, no tiers & have all the top 8 nations involved.

How many teams should dictate the format. You have to decide if you want only a few of the stronger minnows, or more sides to take part.

If you go with say 16 teams then you have a short format to start with to eliminate the minnows, then a moderate length format to lead into QFs/SFs. What has been wrong with the competitions recently is TV want to show all the games and so it drags on, and on, and on, and on, and on........ However many teams there are, shouldn't be more than 36-39 games in length. That reduces fatigue etc.

Fair. To me though, its a pretty easy solution. Let the 50 overs world cup by the 1992 world cup format. 8/9 teams in a group. They all play each other once. Top 4 teams at the end of this phase reaches the semi, then finals.

T20 is format you encouraging new nations & trying to get the world excited by cricket & is perfect to increase the associate nation participation. So the T20 world cup should have 16 teams divided up into 4 groups.

Then as the years progress & the associates proves themselves in the t20 cup, then they could promoted to the 50 overs tournament.

Not that I care much about T20, hence why I didn't quote the IPL etc parts, they have every right to exist. What needs to be sorted out is priority, and players who choose IPL/whatever over an international event should be instantly banned from internationals for a fixed period. Other than that the fans of said competitions can wink themselves silly over it for all I care. I think I've watched maybe 2-3 hours of IPL in my life, not impressed and they can do what they want. Those who think cricket is all about sixes and wickets really should go follow some other high pace sport because they obviously don't truly appreciate cricket.

Don't think you need to be so harsh on the players & ban them for that, since its not their fault that essentially the ICC is lame duck organisation that is manipulated by the BCCI & has not been able to control T20 leagues around the world since it has exploded.

Players like Gayle & Pietersen who had notable major issues with their boards because of this issue were right essentially. The cricket schedule worldwide is broken & playing these t20 leagues which is in some cases paying triple times what your national board gives you for bilateral series would tempt any player.

T20 is here to stay, but just needs strong ICC leadership to control it. As i always say IPL could be the english premier league of cricket. Just have to remove the dumb 4-player international restriction, let each be picked on merit & all the international players would go & play in a 2 month window. The whole world would follow it more attentively i'm sure.

Owzat

International Coach
Can't agree with the tiers. Cricket is too small (only 8 strong test nations) to be having tiers. Surely its better for the game that we have 8 nations competing vs each other.

I'm sure you understand how leagues/tiers work, and so how can you not understand how the whole point is to increase the strength by gradual integration. It will be 5-7 strong Test nations, some sides vary in strength and so 8 is an exaggeration of strength, and the rest are playing pointless series where they get thumped and learn nothing.

In the wings wait Ireland, Holland and others, not strong enough for Test cricket and at the moment the only way they will get into the elitist Test fold is to be elected and they will struggle like the more recent additions. The solution? To reduce the number of Test nations to the 5-7 strong ones, and have the weaker ones play the stronger non-Test nations in division 2. This means sides are playing at their level, allows for further sides to be added without overloading the Test schedule.

You can't kick Bangladesh out of Test cricket without a stink, but you could create two or more tiers and downgrade their tier to effectively non-Test status.

Thus the schedule of world cricket can be based stronger teams wanting to play teams who they think are going to be competitive or visa versa. It has be balanced & well structured like how the international schedule is in fifa world cup qualifiers for eg.

Cricket is still living in the C19 in comparison to most sports, no point at all comparing it to football.

So really the perfect test schedule would be a simple case of every team playing each other home/away in a 3 tests over 3 years. Only the Ashes because of tradition can remain 5 tests, s africa vs england/aus can be 4 tests & for rivalry even india vs pakistan can be 4-5 tests too.

Tradition over-riding progress, there is exactly why cricket will not progress. All countries have their own set agendas, England wanting to play the best sides more and the weak sides as little as possible, the various traditional series meaning you get longer series against some sides than others. It is that inflexibility, and the greed of boards, that has stopped the rest of the world warming to cricket.

How do you increase the popularity of a sport in a country? Increase the exposure, spread it globally, have the country in question involved in a major event. The ICC trophy for the minnows won't raise more than an eyebrow, but a side competing in World Cups and a tiered Test scenario would.

Fair. To me though, its a pretty easy solution. Let the 50 overs world cup by the 1992 world cup format. 8/9 teams in a group. They all play each other once. Top 4 teams at the end of this phase reaches the semi, then finals.

I loved the 92 World Cup, my favourite of them all. BUT it excludes the minnows and that made it weaker. You can't just cut out the minnows, but then if you opened up to the idea of tiers then those sides would be a bit more than minnows.

All very well offering the rest of the world T20, "here you go chaps, here's some scraps off the table", but they will not improve without playing in a proper structure regularly. Ireland won't progress with the scraps offered them, they'd struggle as a Test nation, the only way forward for them and cricket is tiers, bring the rest of the world into the Test (and ODI) fold and watch them develop. A few years of knocking heads with Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Holland and Scotland and we'll see improvement I'm sure. Noone improves from getting beat all the time, relentlessly and heavily, nor do they improve if they play every so often.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'm sure you understand how leagues/tiers work, and so how can you not understand how the whole point is to increase the strength by gradual integration. It will be 5-7 strong Test nations, some sides vary in strength and so 8 is an exaggeration of strength, and the rest are playing pointless series where they get thumped and learn nothing.

In the wings wait Ireland, Holland and others, not strong enough for Test cricket and at the moment the only way they will get into the elitist Test fold is to be elected and they will struggle like the more recent additions. The solution? To reduce the number of Test nations to the 5-7 strong ones, and have the weaker ones play the stronger non-Test nations in division 2. This means sides are playing at their level, allows for further sides to be added without overloading the Test schedule.

You can't kick Bangladesh out of Test cricket without a stink, but you could create two or more tiers and downgrade their tier to effectively non-Test status.

If international cricket was bigger across the world like football, i would agree. But cricket as i said, especially test cricket is still very much a an insular sport, which would take a new national a very long time to be good at it.

Except for sri lanka all the top 8 nations having been playing test cricket for more than 75 years & all of them (except for england & australia) took at least 15+ years to become solid test nations, and also for the citizens of the country even in this modern age of fast sports to still appreciate test cricket & go the ground every year to watch it.

So it not going to be a simple case of you relegating the weaker of the sides to play ireland's etc, since as much as windies (although i reckon they are improving), sri lanka, new zealand, pakistan, india now may be a below the level of south africa, england, australia - they still are miles ahead of bangladesh/zimbabwe & associates nations when it comes to a first class game/test match.

Really those associates plus bang/zim who i don't think should be playing test cricket, have to earn the right to play test through their performances in odi & t20 cricket.

Cricket is still living in the C19 in comparison to most sports, no point at all comparing it to football.

Why not? no bias exist in international football when it comes to fixtures. The major teams in world cup or continental tournament qualifiers don't look to play each other all the time or try to influence as such to fifa/confederation boards. Top teams if they have to play a weak/mid-level nations do so on balanced basis as given to them in the fixtures list.

Tradition over-riding progress, there is exactly why cricket will not progress. All countries have their own set agendas, England wanting to play the best sides more and the weak sides as little as possible, the various traditional series meaning you get longer series against some sides than others. It is that inflexibility, and the greed of boards, that has stopped the rest of the world warming to cricket.

How do you increase the popularity of a sport in a country? Increase the exposure, spread it globally, have the country in question involved in a major event. The ICC trophy for the minnows won't raise more than an eyebrow, but a side competing in World Cups and a tiered Test scenario would.

For reasons stated above, holding on to that traditional especially for the test is very understandable. Lets not forget the main reason also why the major teams get away with manipulating fixtures is because their is no strong icc board to dictate to fixtures to them - but instead they maneuver to suit themselves.

T20 is the game in the modern climate that will get new nations into cricket & i'm fairly confident that associates not playing test cricket currently isn't killing them.

I loved the 92 World Cup, my favourite of them all. BUT it excludes the minnows and that made it weaker. You can't just cut out the minnows, but then if you opened up to the idea of tiers then those sides would be a bit more than minnows.

All very well offering the rest of the world T20, "here you go chaps, here's some scraps off the table", but they will not improve without playing in a proper structure regularly. Ireland won't progress with the scraps offered them, they'd struggle as a Test nation, the only way forward for them and cricket is tiers, bring the rest of the world into the Test (and ODI) fold and watch them develop. A few years of knocking heads with Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Holland and Scotland and we'll see improvement I'm sure. Noone improves from getting beat all the time, relentlessly and heavily, nor do they improve if they play every so often.[/QUOTE]

Well thats the thing with test & odi cricket, these associates frankly are not improving fast enough. Barring the odd upset in the world cup, associates countries like zimbabwe, kenya, bangladesh have gone backwards. Which is why i'd say make future 50 overs world cups limited to just the top 9 nations (including bangladesh) & use the 92 world cup format.

I don't think its fair to call t20 cricket scraps. It may be the format of cricket in which it doesn't test the skills of cricket as well as a odi or test - but in a solid format in its own right as recent t20 world cups have shown. T20 however do look crappy when played in leagues like ipl & big bash league etc.

That is the format in which the associates in a world cup just like football can really cause upset given the shortness of the format. That will mean that the top 8 nations will have to know they can't afford to slip up in t20 if they play an associate nation.

This is why i'd advocate having as much as 16 teams in a t20 world-cup.

While instead of tiers for tests, i'd say big nations like australia, england, india, south africa should send their "A" teams on tour to zimbabwe, bangladesh, kenya, ireland, in uae to play afghanistan, scotland, holland.

If they challenge those "A" teams in first-class matches, along with showing clear signs of improvement in t20 & odi world cups, then we can promote them to test consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread