Fletcher wants Warne as spin doctor

I don't have a problem with it, but I'd rather him not. I can understand giving the odd young bloke a friendly tip or two if they confront you & ask.

I just don't like the idea of it. He'd be better off just sitting back, enjoying life and being one of those grumpy old men who criticise everyone :p

Calling on great players isn't pathetic, it is a brilliant idea. England have had a problem developing spin bowlers, so get a good one over to help out. Whether he will is another matter...

As for Ashes/Ind-Pak rivalries, I am sure the Ind-Pak rivalry is far greater. I mean, they have been practically at war, never mind just a bit of a cricket rivalry. And yes, I do know the history of Australia

The Spin said:
As for Ashes/Ind-Pak rivalries, I am sure the Ind-Pak rivalry is far greater. I mean, they have been practically at war, never mind just a bit of a cricket rivalry. And yes, I do know the history of Australia
For the record, I wasn't calling Indo-Pak rivalry greater, just nastier. :p

What's wrong in getting tips from the best in the business? I think Australia can gain a lot if other teams also become stronger... world cricket would see more competitiveness and that would only be a good thing.

kodos said:
Don't think coaching an opposition team is turning a back on Australian cricket, I mean Darren Lehmann in recent times has expressed interest in taking over Fletcher. Tom Moody, Dav Whatmore, Greg Chapple, Lillee at the MRF academy are just a few who have done some coaching job overseas. I think Warne will do some sort of coaching for young spinners in England for the best interest of the game, he will assist young upcoming spinners such as Adil Rashid and Michael Lawson but won't be England's spin bowling coach.
Sure, help other spinners around the world to rip through our batting lineup.

Because warne isnt just a great spin bowler as much as he acts like a clown he really does have an awesome cricket brain and determination to win.
Can learn alot from the great man.

Heres some of his cricket brain
Remember the world cup in 2003 when gibbs "dropped the world cup" apparently before that match in the team meeting Warne said to everyone dont walk if u hit the ball to Gibbs as sometimes he throws it up before controlling the catch.
We all know what happened later in that match.
When it looked like England had the adelaide Warne spoke to Michael Clarke in the hotel and said we are still going to win this and next day they came from no where to win it.
Warne was the first to notice Brett Lee's run up was off and mentioned it to lee to check it out.

When chips are down he never gives up and always gives it 100% when most others just give up.

There even more reasons he will be missed

symonds_sixes said:
Sure, help other spinners around the world to rip through our batting lineup.

How certain are you that because of Warne's coaching, that particular person can emulate Warne's feats. It's really all up to the individual in the end whether they perform well or not and to be quite frank I don't mind seeing a decent future leg spinner because atm. there aren't too many around apart from Kumble and MacGill who are both due to retire soon and Danish Kaneria.

If we can nab Warne and this Adil Rashid fella is as good as he is hyped up to be then we could finally have a world class leg-spinner on our hands who has been mentored by the very best.

gambino said:
really pathetic

cant wait till woolmer is english coach

he will make them into number 2-3 side in odis's too

1.What's pathetic about having a world class spinner as coach?

2.Who says Woolmer will be Fletcher's successor?

3.No he won't. Not even God could do that.

evertonfan said:
No he won't. Not even God could do that.

thats a bit harsh. we're not that bad at ODI's. with the players we've got coming through we're capable of getting their in time

I think it's brilliance more then being pathetic. I'm supprised more coaches haven't offered Warne anything.

Though it would be pretty sad from an Australian point of view to know that we've possibly had the best bowler ever in our grasp for the last 15 years to know that his now helping the development of our arch-nememis in cricket when we're in the brink of possibly sliding down from our Number #1 world rank over the next few years.

That comment was largley tounge-in-cheek but it does have some substance to it. Mainly that we haven't won a major away ODI series/tournament since we won in Sharjah 1997 (I think?)

Dr.Cricket said:
True, I suppose why not learn from the best.
But what I don't get is, why poach so many Aussies,
surely there's others around the globe that could coach just as well.
Ok, Warne is the greatest Leg-Spinner and he could teach a thing or two,
but he is no Coach. I'm a wizz at web design and I make a living from it,
but I'd be stuffed if I could teach it.

Just want to note; I just read my post, and I wanna say, I know I'm being rather
blunt but I didn't notice how much, so sorry if I've hurt anyones feelings.
Obviously the England-Australia rivalry kicked into high gear there.

I think it's pathetic that you think what I said was patchetic, simply
because you're no Aussie, so how on earth could you see it from an
Aussie point of view?. If what I siad was indeed pathetic, then tell me this,
would English cricket be anything like what it is now without Australian help?
If you think it wouldn't, then what I said wasn't pathetic, but actual fact.

And you think Australia would have any Cricket team without England?
:D

I'd love Warne to be a coach for England, he enjoys his time over here when he plays for Hants and I have so much more respect for him than I used to since I've learnt more about Cricket.

I'd be delighted tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread