Fletcher wants Warne as spin doctor

kodos said:
How certain are you that because of Warne's coaching, that particular person can emulate Warne's feats. It's really all up to the individual in the end whether they perform well or not and to be quite frank I don't mind seeing a decent future leg spinner because atm. there aren't too many around apart from Kumble and MacGill who are both due to retire soon and Danish Kaneria.
How certain are you that the person/people Warne would teach won't be anywhere near as good as him? Either way, if he does have a big impact on a player then that could be damaging to Australia (and other countries) and if he doesn't it will be a complete waste of time.

I want to address the first page:
It's not pathetic, but more, Ironic. England invent the sport, and then send their exiles to Australia. Forward like several hundred years, and the exiles are coaching the inventors on how to play the game they created.
:D :p
Would Warne actually coach England? I hear he likes living there, possible?
@ Sureshot: Good point. It's like England gaining returns from their initial investments. Except it cost them years of suffering and humiliation...:D

I think he owes it to us, afterall a 1/3 of his fifties and a vast portion of his wickets were all against us :p

I think as fans a few people in this thread have gone a little too patriotic, the players know that it's just a game at the end of the day, and they are first and foremost cricket lovers. That's why someone like Botham was more than happy to go and seek out Maharoof after he had a horrible day with no balls in the first test this summer and tell him what was going wrong. Rest of the series no problems at all.

Asking Shane Warne for help might not be the most pathetic thing, but the fact that he's the latest in a considerable line ought to be of concern. Troy Cooley for one, didn't take 700 Test wickets. It doesn't take a great career to become a good coach, so why should England be reliant on foreign experts? It's all very well and good to poach the best of the best for your representative side, but the most important work is done in every level below, particularly youths. You can't rely on calling bowlers into the team and then completely remodelling them. If the staff for county and club level teams are not up to scratch, then the problem will scarcely be fixed by one man working with 11 individuals.

I think County standards have gone up a bit in the last couple of seasons. It's always going to be hard having 18 counties producing top quality players. I'd say there are too many non-England eligible players playing, I'd like 9 players in a county team to be able to represent England.

Users who are viewing this thread