For All People Attending Matches

harrisb

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
If you are going to a day of the tournament, buy a radio headset at the ground for a mere ?10. All official and that.
I've been twice already and it is a great little gadget to have, you put it over your ear, choose a stream (cricinfo, sky sports, tms) and you get full commentary while watching the match.
I had it yesterday at the England game, and it was interesting to listen to how the Pakistan required run rate was going up to crazy scores like 19:p:p

seriously though, if you are going, get one

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
They change the batteries in them every year, so they can milk another tenner out of you. I like to listen to the Sky commentary when I'm at a test match. The one I bought for the ODI at Edgbaston will work all year.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Most probably you can tune any old FM radio to the frequency, its just knowing what it is, but yes the same ones work over and over.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I have yet to watch a live game of cricket, once money ain't so tight its going to be the first thing i do. More than likely it will be a 20-20 or 50 over England game.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I realised that I haven't been to see England in a test match for 10 years the other day. Last one I saw was when we made it to the dizzy heights of being the worst test side in the world!

Keep meaning to go, but never get around to it.

Oh speaking of those radio things, has anyone with an unlimited data package on their mobiles ever tried streaming the BBC commentary to their phone while at a game?

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
I don't wanna listen to the commentary. I wanna listen to the stadiunm erupt when UV hits a 6 :banana2

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Oh speaking of those radio things, has anyone with an unlimited data package on their mobiles ever tried streaming the BBC commentary to their phone while at a game?

Yes but it was delayed as it's a digital stream. We had a radio at Chester-le-street and couldn't pick up the sky or TMS commentary on it (could still get TMS on longwave though). I liked having the Sky commentary, just enough to tell you what you need to know but not ball by ball, blow by blow.
I've got a rugby one too that I shelled out for at Murrayfield to listen to the ref. It's a good idea in some ways but part of being at a game live is the passion of the crowd, the singing and chanting and not being entirely sure what's going on. You wouldn't get much atmosphere if everyone was sitting there in silence listening to their headset.

Manly

Thor
They change the batteries in them every year, so they can milk another tenner out of you. I like to listen to the Sky commentary when I'm at a test match. The one I bought for the ODI at Edgbaston will work all year.

Nah that ain't true. I've still got mine from that Oval Test vs Pakistan all those years ago. Listened to a good 5 days' cricket off it and no problems so far.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Nah that ain't true. I've still got mine from that Oval Test vs Pakistan all those years ago. Listened to a good 5 days' cricket off it and no problems so far.
When I went to Trent Bridge last year I asked them if the one I bought in 2007 would work if they asked if they could look at it and I gave it to them, they looked at the batteries and said it wouldn't and I bought a new one. Maybe only certain models fail to work.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
When I went to Trent Bridge last year I asked them if the one I bought in 2007 would work if they asked if they could look at it and I gave it to them, they looked at the batteries and said it wouldn't and I bought a new one. Maybe only certain models fail to work.
You could've just brought it to the game anyway, and once in the ground tested if it worked, and if not then bought one :p

I will tell you, those "transmitters" have alot of range, from the Oval to the underground (Oval Station) one floor down, I was able to listen to the sky commentary on my earpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread