Story Frank Worrell Trophy - History Relived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, what a win and that was shocking batting performance by the Windies barring couple of batters.

The wides are one too many surely, what type of pitch was this played on mwaugh?

After Match Wrap Up

cricshowlogo6xy.jpg

Lawry_Bill.jpg

Bill Lawry - Welcome back to Lilac Hill and my word havent we seen a fantastic match of cricket. I for one cant believe that the Chairmans XI came back as well as they did. Well with me i have the victorious captain Damien Martyn. Damien, wow that was amazing.

Martyn - Yeh a great display there by the boys. The West Indies seemed to maybe attack too much at places but Stuie and Brad Hogg were both great.

Lawry - Did you think you were a real shot there with Campbell and Hooper playing really well?

Martyn - To be honest not really. They were cruising but the boys, to their credit faught back well and just a great result.

Lawry - Is there anybody in this team you think may be a chance at the test or one day teams?

Martyn - Well i would like to think so but to be honest the team is going so great and im not sure who could be replaced. But i think Justin Langer and Michael Slater, although they didnt play that well today, are the closest.

Larwry - Well here is the defeated captain Courtney Walsh. Courtney we might not dwell on that game to much. Instead lets have a look towards the first test starting soon. What positives can you take into that match?

Walsh - Well obviously Sherwin played very well, we bowled very well aswell. I think this team is best suited to tests as we have great concentration. But we will just have to see.

Lawry - And Shivnarine Chanderpaul set to come back for the test?

Walsh - Definatly. He will probably slot in at number 5 and bump Jimmy Adams down to number 6.

Lawry - Well best of luck for the test in the next week. And good luck for the series. Now with me is the man of the match, the left arm wrist spinner come saviour with the bat Brad Hogg. Hoggie a wonderful peformance today

Hogg - Thanks Bill. I would have liked to have taken a few more wickets but the runs were great. Infront of a WA crowd is great.

brad_hogg.jpg

(Man of the match Brad Hogg)

Lawry - Well thanks guys and thats it for another enstallment of the cricket show.

crick4life said:
Jeez, what a win and that was shocking batting performance by the Windies barring couple of batters.

The wides are one too many surely, what type of pitch was this played on mwaugh?

it was really tough hitting the spinners. the pitch was a hard pitch. i think the tests will suit me more

sorry guys i havent updated in a week or so its been my birthday and ive been really snowed under with illness. but im feeling ok now so ill see how i go with it all

I wish you get better mate. Go easy on the stories, you could even continue this story with the new game in about a month or so.

Test Teams Arrive In Brisbane

November 20, 1996

The West Indian and Australian test teams arrived in Brisbane today ahead of the first Ansett test match to take place at the GABBA on thursday the 22 of November.

laraandadams9vy.jpg

(Brian Lara and Jimmy Adams arrive at Brisbane Airport ahead of the first test)

Coming off the back of a demorilising loss to the ACB Chairmans XI in Lilac Hill a number of weeks ago, the West Indies, lead by Courtney Walsh still appeared confident of a strong showing against a team widly regarded as the best in the world.

The teams have not yet been named for the clash and are expected to be announced tomorrow morning when both teams will train at the state of the art Brisbane facilities.

TEST SQUAD ANNOUNCED

Australia and the West Indies announced the squads ahead of the much anticipated first test in Brisbane today. Both teams trained at the GABBA complex and appeared happy with their teams preperation

The test team for the Australian side will consist of:

M. Taylor (Captain)
M. Elliott
J. Langer
M. Waugh
S. Waugh (Vice Captain)
M. Bevan
I. Healy (Wicket keeper)
S. Warne
P. Reiffel
J. Gillespie
G. McGrath
12th man - A. Bichel

The breaking story from the announcement of the team is the impending debut of fast bowler Jason Gillespie.

dizzy5mj.jpg

(Steve Waugh hits out in the practise nets while jason gillespie (Insert) will make his test match debut)

The West Indies brought star young batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul into the team to bolster a fragile batting lineup which is very dependent on Brian Lara at number 3.

S. Campbell
R. Samuels
B. Lara (Vice Captain)
C. Hooper
S. Chanderpaul
J. Adams
C. Browne (Wicket Keeper)
C. Ambrose
I. Bishop
K. Benjamin
C. Walsh (Captain)

laratraining2yo.jpg

(Brian Lara leads a team training session while Shivnarine Chanderpaul (Insert) will make his return to the team)

Bring on the real cricket, looking forward to this test match.

Match Introduction

Richie Benaud - Welcome to the GABBA on what is a beautiful day for the start of what promises to be one of the most entertaining series in recent history. With me today i have the voice of the carrabian, Mr Michael Holding. Michael its finally arrived.

Holding - Not a minute to soon aswell Richie. This will be a great series and i know for a fact that all the players are really excited about this match. What a great day it is today aswell.

Benaud - Yes the sun is shining brightly and the picth is going to play relatively flat today. Not a hard and bouncy wicket like the one prepared at Lilac Hill but also not a grassy greentop generally associated with this GABBA wicket.

tossscreen5mt.jpg

Holding - I think this pitch will give a little bit for everyone. The fast bowlers will have a chance with the new ball but if the batsmen can get settled we should see alot of runs on this ground.

Benaud - Well news in from down on the ground is that the west indies have won the toss and have elected to bowl first. Does this surprise you Michael?

Holding - Not really Richie. If you look at the strengths for both teams, the West Indies have a stronger bowling lineup while the Australians have a strong batting lineup with the likes of Taylor and the Waugh brothers. It seems logical to try and take the main threat away early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread