Story Frank Worrell Trophy - History Relived

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWaugh

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
CHANDERPAUL BRILLIANCE SAVES WEST INDIES

A stylis unbeaten century from star young batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul was the saving grace for the West Indies on day 2 of the test match at Brisbane today.

Chasing a relatively small target of 256 set by Australia on day 1, the West Indies appeared to be off to a strong start thanks to scores of 28 from Brian Lara and 43 from Sherwin Cambell. However Australia hit back through the bowling of Glenn McGrath as the home side lost 3 quick wickets of Lara, Campbell and Carl Hooper (0) to be in a dangerous position at 4/117.

totalscorecard7we.jpg

(The West Indies Scorecard - Chanderpaul proving that the hype built around his performances as a young player is deserved while Jason Gillespie lived up to expectations on debut)

Thanks to some supportive defensive batting from Jimmy Adams and Courtney Browne rising star batsman Chanderpaul, batting at number 5 was able to compile a flashing 103* in difficult conditions to single handedly lead his team to 10/221, still trailing Australia by 35 runs.

chanderpaulcentury1cx.jpg

(Shivnarine Chanderpaul proved to be the saving grace for the tourists, playing a superb lone hand of 103* from 164 balls)

Jason Gillespie made an impressive debut for Australia claiming the best bowling figures for the day of 3/18 off 11 overs, with Glenn McGrath (3/30) and Paul Reiffel (3/68) both contributing. However star leg spinner Shane Warne was unable to bowl with an authority and only bowled 6 overs - being flooged for 32 runs in the process.

MWaugh

International Coach
CAPTAIN HELPS AUSTRALIA SET IMPOSING TOTAL

Australian Captain Mark Taylor lead his side with a crafty 76 as the home side reached a total of 10/260 to set the West Indies a total of 296 runs to win the first Test match at Brisbane today.

Taylor showed by example the kind of grit and determination that is needed to compete against the pace attack of Walsh, Ambrose, Benjamin and Bishop as he scored 76 runs from just over 200 deliveries.

1604b.jpg

(Mark Taylor showed his leadership skills with a tough 76)

Mark Waugh repeated his 64 from the first innings to help his captain as the top order from Australia appeared slightly stronger than the first innings with Justin Langer (30), Michael Bevan (25) and Ian Healy (29) all made starts but could not go on to larger scores.

totalscorecard5oa.jpg

(Mark Taylor and Mark Waugh showing their talent as Curtly Ambrose hit the form he has promised to bring to Australia)

Curtly Ambrose redeamed himself from a poor 1 wicket performance in the first innings to clean up the tail end of Australia to capture 5/72 from 34 obers while pace partner Courtney Walsh took 2/67.

The pressure will now be on the fragile batting lineup and the focus will be squarly on Brian Lara and Shivnarine Chanderpaul, who will look to continue on from his unbeaten 103 in the first innings. Sherwin Campbell will also look to continue his good start to the tour, having made scores of 73 against the Chairmans XI and 43 in the first innings here in Brisbane.

MWaugh

International Coach
Benaud and Holding evaluate chances

MATCH ANALYSIS - RICHIE BENAUD AND MICHAEL HOLDING

Benaud - Welcome back to Brisbane at the beautiful GABBA cricket ground as we prepare to watch the last innings of what has been a very entertaining match between Australia and the West Indies. With me is Michael Holding, Michael can the West Indies come back from behind and win this game?

Holding - Your right Richie that they are behind in this game. Judging from their batting in the first innings i dont think they can however people learnt very quickly not to write off a team featuring Brian Lara. Shivnarine looked great in the first innings and Sherwin Campbell has been solid all tour so far but i just think that a total near 300 is going to be too much against McGrath and Warne.

Benaud - Who do you think will have to fire for both teams if they are too win?

Holding - Lara for the West Indies for sure. He has to make a big score if they are to be any chance. The openers need a good start to build some confidence in the team and Carl Hooper and Chanderpaul will both have to contribute.
For Australia, I think the pressure will be on Shane Warne. He will bowl alot more in this second innings if he can get into his groove. He bowled poorly in the first innings but i think he should be cruicial.

Benaud - Well you pointed out the middle order for the West Indies Michael as being crucial if they are to win this game. Lets just have a look at the men youve highlighted as the danger men in this lineup.

windiesorder9dv.jpg

Holding - Yes well these are the guys who could make all the difference. Although as I said before i think 296 on this wicket against McGrath, Reiffel, young tear-away Gillespie and Warne, will be very difficult.

Benaud - Well lets just hope that the fireworks continue in this test match. Stay tuned for more updates in the very near future.

MWaugh

International Coach
Guys please note that this story thread has ended. I bought cricket 2005 today so i will call this one quits. I will hopefully be starting another story thread with cricket 2005 soon. Unfortunatly this thread never totally got going with a few bug issues and some restrictions with teh internet but thanks to everyone who posted. CHEERS GUYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread