• Stuart Broad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graeme Swann

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Well , this discussion is related to the ongoing Ashes ODI series between Australia and England where the latter are set for a thumping 6-1 defeat . This , however has only themselves to blame given they were so well placed in almost every match of the series let alone the 5th ODI at the Gabba . These were the commanding positions England experienced in the series but still managed to let slip of the match :

1st ODI , MCG : England 96/0 after 13 Overs
2nd ODI , Bellerive : Aussies 140/8 after 39 overs
3rd ODI , SCG : Aussies 100/5 , still requiring 115 to win off 25 overs
6th ODI , SCG : England 333/6 after 50 overs

So this is basically a series which could have very well turned out to read a 5-1 scoreline to England had we possessed that natural 'Killer Instinct' character . The Aussies were never ever outstanding in this series and solely depended on 1 player a match starting from Watto in MCG to Pup in SCG .

So , what really needs to be done for us to achieve that Number 1 status in ODIs ?? At present , England are ranked 5th with 109 points , some 10 odd points away from 4th placed South Africa .

Your comments and suggestions are well appreciated .

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
For the No.1 ranking - they won't for a few years. No-one will over take the Aussies for a while yet. The way I understand it is, you get roughly 1 point for each win. Aus are 130 atm, while 2nd place India are 119, followed closely by SA+SL at 115. So - Aus are quite ahead of everyone in this regard (only rankings-wise).

To be the real No. 1. That's easy - win the WC :D In the on-going series what England have lacked is their no.1 attack. If Anderson, Broad, Shahzad and Swann play - then they will have that 'killer instinct' to finish the oppisition of.

Plus, you're playing against Australia. They never say never. When you've got them down, then you really have to kick-hard and keep them down.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Can't say about England, but IMO Australia is still in the top 3 best teams in ODIs and it will always be hard to replace them from no.1 ICC Rankings (the flawed system for many) for some time now.

Just expect Aussies to be knocked out early in World Cup and your nation to win it.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Uhh, "us"? You're Indian. Just thought I should let you know :).

TanVeer7

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
noway

eng cant be no.1 in any format of the game of cricket..simply because
1.they dont have good bench strength
2.they depend mostly on their overseas players like kp morgan
3.this team got very few quality attacking match winning batsmen except kp

i think india is best in test and they will stay there for next 5years atleast if not more and as far as odi's concerned australia:thumbs still the best of all but india and africa not far behind..

----------

It will take a few more South Africans

not just few more but 4 africans,3irish,2 indian,2pakis then they can be num 1:D

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
eng cant be no.1 in any format of the game of cricket..simply because
1.they dont have good bench strength
2.they depend mostly on their overseas players like kp morgan
3.this team got very few quality attacking match winning batsmen except kp

i think india is best in test and they will stay there for next 5years atleast if not more and as far as odi's concerned australia:thumbs still the best of all but india and africa not far behind..

----------

not just few more but 4 africans,3irish,2 indian,2pakis then they can be num 1:D

I disagree.

We won the World T20 by picking a side that works to the game plan.

We picked Lumb and Kieswetter to open the batting and we scored more runs on average than any other side in the powerplay. Yardy was picked as a second spinner and only had one bad game in the final.

However, in recent times we have forgot and ignored what has worked for us in the past. We can't seem to give a wicketkeeper a chance to get used the role at the top of the order. This Prior selection just seems wrong to me. He has never looked the part opening the batting, where as Kieswetter and Davies have done it before will some success.

P

pcfan123

I'll be shocked if India can even stay in the top 3 after Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Zaheer Khan retire, which will be in less than 2 years.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
India's bowling is a worry. Sree, Ishant, Munaf, Mithun, Vinay Kumar, RP, Yadav are our pace stocks after Zaheer's retirement. Along with less likely names such as Irfan Pathan, Unadkat, Praveen Kumar.

Batting wise, I think we're okay. Mukund, Rahane and hopefully Pandey will get India debuts soon. Kohli, Raina, Pujara are good enough prospects for the coming years, Gambhir is hitting his peak...

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
i think india is best in test and they will stay there for next 5years atleast if not more

You serious on this one ?? Because i cant see the Indians winning a series in England & South Africa anymore . Their bowling attack says it all . Inability to take 20 wickets without Zaheer coupled with Sehwag's woeful batting form outside subcontinent is gonna keep India at Number 1 for 5 years ?? :lol

Last edited:

International Coach
You serious on this one ?? Because i cant see you guys winning a series in England & South Africa anymore . Your bowling attack says it all . Inability to take 20 wickets without Zaheer coupled with Sehwag's woeful batting form outside subcontinent is gonna keep you at Number 1 for 5 years ?? Jog on fella !

Where are your from???Your location says Chennai. Being an English supporter is different but talking as an English man is totally another thing.

Last edited:

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Where are your from???Your location says Chennai. Being an English supporter is different but talking as an English man is totally another thing.

Well i was talking as an English supporter , the same way as i was being an English supporter . What was wrong in that ?? :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread