General Cricket Discussion

I am biased, but the scheduling of the World Cup to smaller venues in NZ for the less "interesting" to the mainstream matches has been vastly better than the Australians. Ireland v UAE last night was an absolute rip snorter of a match, playing that in front of 5000 people in a 8 or 10 thousand seater would've made for vastly better atmosphere at the ground and, by default, television viewing. NZ has gone the smart route in regards to their ODI venues, gradually upgrading a whole bunch over the past 5 years to have some really quality options all over the country, that are smaller capacity-wise but means the public will fill those grounds.

...Plus, when I was chatting to Matt about the same thing the other night, he mentioned tickets for the games were more expensive than here in NZ. You can go along to most of the World Cup games in NZ for less than a price of a movie. Only the "Big Match-Ups" like NZ v AUS have been priced higher, with $60 still being a pretty reasonable price.

Arguably, the NZ location schedule seems to make more sense with pretty healthy capacity at all the games.

...Plus, when I was chatting to Matt about the same thing the other night, he mentioned tickets for the games were more expensive than here in NZ. You can go along to most of the World Cup games in NZ for less than a price of a movie. Only the "Big Match-Ups" like NZ v AUS have been priced higher, with $60 still being a pretty reasonable price.
The actual prices seem close - but a cheap seat in a 100,000 seat stadium gets you a lot further from the action than a general admission ticket to a smaller NZ ground.

That's what I'm saying. The grounds in Australia are too big to create an atmosphere for the majority if the matches in the WC. Why play UAE vs Ireland at The Gabba?

So would you have preferred that game to bbe played at the Allan Border Field in Brisbane instead? Ha.

Fact is outside of Hobart all AUS grounds are big capacity venues, cant fight it. Plus in all this recent talk of doing more for associates they need to experience playing at major venues too.

So would you have preferred that game to bbe played at the Allan Border Field in Brisbane instead? Ha.

Fact is outside of Hobart all AUS grounds are big capacity venues, cant fight it. Plus in all this recent talk of doing more for associates they need to experience playing at major venues too.

If you are going to play in major venues when there is nobody there, then yes, you may as we'll play at the park. The associate nations need to get used to playing in stadiums with big atmosphere. They will have already experienced playing at the big grounds in Dubai and Abu Dhabi when only a man and his dog were present.

I personally would have been quite happy to see the whole WC in New Zealand. Shame they haven't quite got enough stadiums. The people/crowds there look so happy to be a host. Seems to mean a lot to them.

Any reasoning behind there being no world cup game scheduled for tomorrow?

Not been impressed by the umpiring so far in this world cup. Loads of no balls being missed...

Lets just strap lights to everything, shove a green and blue strobe light in the batsman pants for when he gets hit in the box...

Why play UAE vs Ireland at The Gabba?

Lack of local government support has seen the Gabba host less matches. Also, there had been some lobbying for major matches on which the Gabba lost out. Ideally, a World Cup semi was in the offing, this is where you have to question the ICC.

The obvious one would have been the quarter finals not being in Sydney and Melbourne - with Perth and Brisbane getting them. Though they could argue they have simply been allocated to the higher capacity venues, rather than a slight against Brisbane.

I'll be interested how they split up the World T20 matches - given that Australia will host that in 2020 alone rather than with NZ. The other interesting thing will be the completion of Perth Stadium, making it viable to play bigger matches over there again, and take advantage of the timezone that's more favourable to the audience in a certain large cricketing market, without having to sacrifice capacity.

Hey, sry had missed this post.

Actually the most expensive or second most expensive point is interesting.

You have quoted BBC Cricket, however Crininfo in its stats feature said this -

Thus as per cricinfo the Finn hat-trick is indeed the most expensive ever. Australia v England, World Cup 2015, Group A, MCG : Stats analysis: Finch and Marsh fly high, most expensive hat-trick | Cricket Features | ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 | ESPN Cricinfo

Also here is a list of all hat-tricks ever in ODIs - Records | One-Day Internationals | Bowling records | Hat-tricks | ESPN Cricinfo

Very interestingly there is no mention of Gordon Goudie's hat-trick in 2009 against Aus. It only mentions one hat-trick in 2009 and that was Flintoff vs WI. Weirdly enough the crininfo list doesn't mention Gillespie's 2002 hat-trick against Pak in Nairobi either.

I don't know which list is the correct one, but the two lists are seemingly so far apart, that the compilers of one of them, was clearly smoking something special.

sorry havent been here for a while, but I also found the same anomalies when on cricinfo.

After thinking about it, a hat-trick can't really be expensive can it? I guess it would be labelled as "most expensive bowling figures which include a hat-trick".

Anyway, how good to SA look?!

sorry havent been here for a while, but I also found the same anomalies when on cricinfo.

After thinking about it, a hat-trick can't really be expensive can it? I guess it would be labelled as "most expensive bowling figures which include a hat-trick".

Anyway, how good to SA look?!

Difficult to say. We looked very poor vs india but like world beater vs west indies and ireland.

Think the toss is playing a big role especially in the games in aus. If you bat first looking like you can post an pretty impossible total to chase.

Difficult to say. We looked very poor vs india but like world beater vs west indies and ireland.

Think the toss is playing a big role especially in the games in aus. If you bat first looking like you can post an pretty impossible total to chase.

I think to score 400+ twice in a row is pretty awesome! I can't watch as I don't have the legal capacity to do so and any legally grey means of viewing have been shut down, but I've been listening and India and SA seem like the teams to beat. New Zealand also look in good form, with the ball at least.

I think to score 400+ twice in a row is pretty awesome! I can't watch as I don't have the legal capacity to do so and any legally grey means of viewing have been shut down, but I've been listening and India and SA seem like the teams to beat. New Zealand also look in good form, with the ball at least.
The legal capacity? Are you doing time?

Users who are viewing this thread