General Discussion

I would certainly like to help with this project. I'm pretty good at vb.net now, thanks to some recent projects like the scoreboard manipulator and Mod Manager, and especially AbBh and Colin. But I've seen you're not interested in vb.net.

My point is, these types of programs could be easily made in vb.net, dunno much about the flexibility part but modular programming in vb.net is very much possible. But then I don't think many people in the coding team know vb.net! :p

On the other hand of vb.net, I've started learning C++ too. I know some OOP concepts already, not many though, and I'm sure I'll grasp C++ pretty quickly. Visual I've heard is the IDE so that should not be a problem. So I would definitely like to be in the coding team :cheers
I haven't used VB.NET. In fact the only experience I've had with Visual Basic is VB6 which I have already forgotten. Do you have experience with Java? C#, in my opinion, is pretty easy to pick up (definitely easier than C++).

sohummisra added 2 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

If you centeralize the server in a way that anyone can use it, wouldn't it be prone to being "hacked" and edited.

Just something to keep an eye on, whether it can be edited by any normal user if it is made available to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
The centralized server would only be available for read access for all users. Write access would require authentication. Details of implementation are of course up for discussion.

sohummisra added 1 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

My vote goes for C# (obviously) :p.

Also, does PC happen to have an SVN server that code could be stored under version control? Otherwise I'll set it up on my own server.

good luck guys.

BTW is it a online league thing like cricinfo one?

I am downloading Visual C# Express. Will that be sufficient for our coding needs?
From the initial looks of it, C# is quite similar to C++, so apart from the syntax, i should not have much of a problem in it :)

I'm going to cap the testing team at 10 (it is 8 currently) for now. This until we elect a testing lead who will be in charge of testing the simulator (which I strongly believe will be one of the league simmers/organizers).

sohummisra added 1 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

You bring up an interesting point here. If we set up a SQL database on PC that contains all the player/tournament information, we can centralize the access to all that data. Anyone could then use that data to conduct their own simulations, and official simmers can authenticate into the server and create tournaments and play matches that actually track data.
As long as it works on Vista I'll probably be simming it again. One thing I'd also like to see is easily importable/exportable rosters and stats, so that treva and I can rotate simming.

I was thinking about this, and probably a database, including all the player stats and their records could be prepared, and sent to anyone simming.

I am downloading Visual C# Express. Will that be sufficient for our coding needs?
From the initial looks of it, C# is quite similar to C++, so apart from the syntax, i should not have much of a problem in it :)
Visual C# Express should be good enough.

Are we settled on C# then? Any objections?

Yeah i guess C# looks like the best option.

But, If it is C#, you will have to do a major chunk of the coding.. That might as well be an extra burden for you.

I'm quickly going through Websites to get a hang of it..

I haven't used VB.NET. In fact the only experience I've had with Visual Basic is VB6 which I have already forgotten.

There has been a complete overhaul in vb.net from vb6. VB has been converted into a complete OOP language. With vb.net there is no difference between VB and C#, leaving aside the syntax. Also, VB's IDE is better than C#'s.

But as most of the people are familiar with C#, we can use it.

I can test it too :D Infact might help too I have created one cricket player sim game in VB (and like 5 or 6 cricket game in excel )which I cannt continue to due time constraints but certainly help you in your cause.

Yeah, as Shreyas said, vb.net is pretty powerful now, equally powerful as C#, plus its definitely MUCH easier to pick up due to its easy syntax.

I'm learning C++ anyways, so C# doesn't sound like too much problem after maybe 1-2 weeks of getting the hang of it. Though my strong inclination is towards vb.net :p, I would be just fine in C++ or C#. And no Sohum, I don't know java unfortunately.

My word, i don't understand a single word what's being said here :p C++? Java? :p

Hey, i may be a n00b when it comes to creating games but i'd kick your ass playing them ;)

Users who are viewing this thread