SimKit [DEFUNCT]

Xeergdef

School Cricketer
@asprin sorry for the late reply, but the toss issue was not a problem, it was probably a coincidence.

So I've started my tournament, I intend to give a detailed post about pros, and cons at the end of the tournament, but rn wanted to inquire one thing:will a player's form be taken into account in the tournament mode ? Like if he has scored 50 in the previous game, there is a higher chance of him doing well in next game too ?

Do you intend on making this a thing ?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@asprin sorry for the late reply, but the toss issue was not a problem, it was probably a coincidence.

So I've started my tournament, I intend to give a detailed post about pros, and cons at the end of the tournament, but rn wanted to inquire one thing:will a player's form be taken into account in the tournament mode ? Like if he has scored 50 in the previous game, there is a higher chance of him doing well in next game too ?

Do you intend on making this a thing ?
I'm afraid not. I've not reached that level where a player form is taken into consideration. Given that form plays a significant role in tournaments, it will be something that I will definitely have to take into account.

But as things stand, the simulator results are not dependent on how previous games play out. So if it something that is vital to you, I would advise you against using SimKit for the moment.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Xeergdef

School Cricketer
I'm afraid not. I've not reached that level where a player form is taken into consideration. Given that form plays a significant role in tournaments, it will be something that I will definitely have to take into account.

But as things stand, the simulator results are not dependent on how previous games play out. So if it something that is vital to you, I would advise you against using SimKit for the moment.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

No problem, one of the participants pointed out about it so I thought I’d let you know, so that maybe it could possibly be incorporated into the tournament mode.

There are a few other things I have in mind but as I said I will mention those in a detailed post at the end of the tournament in about 2 weeks time

Xeergdef

School Cricketer
@asprin Most of the games we've played so far have been on normal, and the games have been low to moderate scoring, with a few exceptions

Now today I simmed a game on Green, and one team made 152 & The team in reply made 113. I've had a team being bowled out on 50 in one case on normal, and the par score is about 120, so this was a surprise, even though one of the teams have a weak bowling attack and have normally not been that good on Normal anyway, but still I didn't expect them to concede 150 on a green track

I noticed the default pitch option is Green & not normal. Is it possible that you have swapped the two by mistake ?

I tried simming a few sample OD games on both pitches to see if that was the case, but hardly found any difference b/w Green & Normal

Xeergdef

School Cricketer
@asprin Most of the games we've played so far have been on normal, and the games have been low to moderate scoring, with a few exceptions

Now today I simmed a game on Green, and one team made 152 & The team in reply made 113. I've had a team being bowled out on 50 in one case on normal, and the par score is about 120, so this was a surprise, even though one of the teams have a weak bowling attack and have normally not been that good on Normal anyway, but still I didn't expect them to concede 150 on a green track

I noticed the default pitch option is Green & not normal. Is it possible that you have swapped the two by mistake ?

I tried simming a few sample OD games on both pitches to see if that was the case, but hardly found any difference b/w Green & Normal

I guess this is not the case after seeing not much difference in normal / green in those 2 sample ODs, but still thought I'd ask since Green is kept as the default / first option

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
That's because pitch doesn't play a factor while games are simulated (at present the only factors that affect results are batting/bowling rating points, stage of play [powerplay, middle overs, death overs] and type of batsman [pure batsman, bowler, allrounder etc]). Though pitch selection won't have any effect on the outcome, I only put that in so that I can build on that in future.

I'm sorry that you're finding a lot of features missing at the moment but rest assured, I'm keeping track of my "to-do" list and pitch behavior is one of them.

Xeergdef

School Cricketer
That's because pitch doesn't play a factor while games are simulated (at present the only factors that affect results are batting/bowling rating points, stage of play [powerplay, middle overs, death overs] and type of batsman [pure batsman, bowler, allrounder etc]). Though pitch selection won't have any effect on the outcome, I only put that in so that I can build on that in future.

I'm sorry that you're finding a lot of features missing at the moment but rest assured, I'm keeping track of my "to-do" list and pitch behavior is one of them.

Oh,I didn't know about that. Well, thanks for letting me know

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Bro if I may ask, what languages did you use?

Xeergdef

School Cricketer
@asprin As promised, here's my review of the simulator, with some inputs from the participants

Pros:

1. Online, free-ware
  2. Can simulate 20 overs, a lot of the old simulators like Syed-ur-Rehman don't sim less than 25 overs
  3. Player ratings are easy to modify, this helps when any boosts etc. are applied
  4. I didn't use it for the tournament, but you can download and modify any players made by the community, which is a good feature
  5. Instant simulation. I like this feature as you can sim games in no time
  6. Bowling Order / Strategy - this was a good feature not available in most other ims, and made things interesting for the captains
  7. Easy options to copy-paste scorecards and commentary. Really well-done

Cons:

1. Don't know about other formats, but T20's are definitely too bowling friendly.
  2. We did have some good chases, but for the most part the team batting first had an advantage in T20's, as a lot of teams lost wickets in the middle overs and lost their way
  3. Teams winning the toss aren't allowed to decide whether they want to bat / bowl
  4. Way too many hit-wickets lol. A bit odd, considering that's not a usual mode of dismissal
  5. No commentary for wickets (as yet), so I had to add my own
  6. No scores of the batsmen after every over, this should be a MUST so we know when a batsman has scored a 50 or 100
  7. When a wicket falls, there should be a description of how he got out. I had to copy-paste this from the scorecard
  8. Pitches don't play a role (yet). I know this is to be developed, but I thought I should've been informed about this before, especially because I mentioned I'll be using the sim for a tournament. By the time, I found out, we were well-deep into the tournament, so we continued using the sim anyway. I'm sure the sim will be even better to use once pitches play a role
  9. Allrounders are TERRIBLE with the ball, more often than not they had an E/R of 10+, as such most team preferred to play 5 genuine bowlers instead, and teams that did play allrounders didn't bowl them on most occasions
  10. Batsmen are mostly inconsistent. A 90 bowler was quite reliable, but a 90 batsman was very hit and miss
Possible Improvements:

1. Apart from the matters already discussed in cons that should be added (batsmen runs after every over, description of wickets, commentary for wickets), there should be a man of the match for every game, depending on who was the best performer
  2. The team winning the toss should definitely be allowed to choose whether to bat / bowl
  3. Matches should be saved. Once the browser is closed, all the data for a game is gone, so you need to copy-paste all the scorecards immediately. I think it would be better if the data is saved, so you can access it again once the browser is closed
  4. I know the game is divided into phases, but a lot of the participants felt batsmen weren't too aggressive in the last few overs, and focused more on singles and doubles, rather than hitting out.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
@asprin As promised, here's my review of the simulator, with some inputs from the participants

Pros:

1. Online, free-ware
  2. Can simulate 20 overs, a lot of the old simulators like Syed-ur-Rehman don't sim less than 25 overs
  3. Player ratings are easy to modify, this helps when any boosts etc. are applied
  4. I didn't use it for the tournament, but you can download and modify any players made by the community, which is a good feature
  5. Instant simulation. I like this feature as you can sim games in no time
  6. Bowling Order / Strategy - this was a good feature not available in most other ims, and made things interesting for the captains
  7. Easy options to copy-paste scorecards and commentary. Really well-done

Cons:

1. Don't know about other formats, but T20's are definitely too bowling friendly.
  2. We did have some good chases, but for the most part the team batting first had an advantage in T20's, as a lot of teams lost wickets in the middle overs and lost their way
  3. Teams winning the toss aren't allowed to decide whether they want to bat / bowl
  4. Way too many hit-wickets lol. A bit odd, considering that's not a usual mode of dismissal
  5. No commentary for wickets (as yet), so I had to add my own
  6. No scores of the batsmen after every over, this should be a MUST so we know when a batsman has scored a 50 or 100
  7. When a wicket falls, there should be a description of how he got out. I had to copy-paste this from the scorecard
  8. Pitches don't play a role (yet). I know this is to be developed, but I thought I should've been informed about this before, especially because I mentioned I'll be using the sim for a tournament. By the time, I found out, we were well-deep into the tournament, so we continued using the sim anyway. I'm sure the sim will be even better to use once pitches play a role
  9. Allrounders are TERRIBLE with the ball, more often than not they had an E/R of 10+, as such most team preferred to play 5 genuine bowlers instead, and teams that did play allrounders didn't bowl them on most occasions
  10. Batsmen are mostly inconsistent. A 90 bowler was quite reliable, but a 90 batsman was very hit and miss
Possible Improvements:

1. Apart from the matters already discussed in cons that should be added (batsmen runs after every over, description of wickets, commentary for wickets), there should be a man of the match for every game, depending on who was the best performer
  2. The team winning the toss should definitely be allowed to choose whether to bat / bowl
  3. Matches should be saved. Once the browser is closed, all the data for a game is gone, so you need to copy-paste all the scorecards immediately. I think it would be better if the data is saved, so you can access it again once the browser is closed
  4. I know the game is divided into phases, but a lot of the participants felt batsmen weren't too aggressive in the last few overs, and focused more on singles and doubles, rather than hitting out.
If you don't mind can you PM me where you use it?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
@Xeergdef Thanks for the detailed review. Appreciate it. Things like these really help in determining what's right and what's need to be fixed. Although I can't promise a timeline for the pending work/fixes, it is definitely on the cards.

The only thing I can say is I'll in probability miss the Feb deadline because my day job is leaving me little to no spare time at the moment.

Just sign up & then add your players / teams to sim games
I think he meant the place where you intend to/are using the simulator.

Xeergdef

School Cricketer
@Xeergdef Thanks for the detailed review. Appreciate it. Things like these really help in determining what's right and what's need to be fixed. Although I can't promise a timeline for the pending work/fixes, it is definitely on the cards.

The only thing I can say is I'll in probability miss the Feb deadline because my day job is leaving me little to no spare time at the moment.

I think he meant the place where you intend to/are using the simulator.
If you don't mind can you PM me where you use it?

Oh yeah sure, I used it at www.cricistan.com

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
A small update.

(1) I've removed the current mechanism of using arrow keys (:up::down:) to set batting order in the "Match Center". It can now be set via drag-and-drop, similar to how it's done in Fantasy Cricket.
(2) I'm in the early stages of "Tournament Mode" and currently working on building a round robin generator for the same.

Users who are viewing this thread