General Discussion

Doubtful, all i know is HTML which wouldnt help one little bit :p And i've pretty much forgot that!

Yeah i guess C# looks like the best option.

But, If it is C#, you will have to do a major chunk of the coding.. That might as well be an extra burden for you.

I'm quickly going through Websites to get a hang of it..
That's not a problem. Although I think if you are proficient at C++ then C# will be really easy to get into (and a lot more fun, too!).

I'd be happy to be testing lead, if you'd want me to...as I know the other two will be involved with simming of the actual new cricsim season when it starts (unless this is a very rapid development)

So sohum, you're finally against vb.net? :p

I'll download Visual C# Express today. I have Visual C++ express and VB express btw.

Kshitiz_Indian added 39 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Oh, btw I just started working with Visual C#, and I can't believe how similar it is to C++ and even Visual Basic.NET! :eek:

There has been a complete overhaul in vb.net from vb6. VB has been converted into a complete OOP language. With vb.net there is no difference between VB and C#, leaving aside the syntax. Also, VB's IDE is better than C#'s.

But as most of the people are familiar with C#, we can use it.

Yeah, as Shreyas said, vb.net is pretty powerful now, equally powerful as C#, plus its definitely MUCH easier to pick up due to its easy syntax.

I'm learning C++ anyways, so C# doesn't sound like too much problem after maybe 1-2 weeks of getting the hang of it. Though my strong inclination is towards vb.net :p, I would be just fine in C++ or C#. And no Sohum, I don't know java unfortunately.

So sohum, you're finally against vb.net? :p

I'll download Visual C# Express today. I have Visual C++ express and VB express btw.

Kshitiz_Indian added 39 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Oh, btw I just started working with Visual C#, and I can't believe how similar it is to C++ and even Visual Basic.NET! :eek:
Yeah I think C# is the way to go. If the learning curve is too steep we can consider switching to VB.NET or something else. You know C++, Kshitiz?

I think it should be trialled at the PCPL. Once it's finished and everything. If all goes well, use it for PCCL aswell.

Yeah I think C# is the way to go. If the learning curve is too steep we can consider switching to VB.NET or something else. You know C++, Kshitiz?
Yeah, basics of C++, like those in the Turbo C++ compiler! :p But I'm trying my hand at Visual C++ too. My strongest point is VB.NET, wherein I know many functions already like Registry and Memory and Filestream etc, but I'm finding C# to be quite similar, so I'm currently kicking my legs in C# and see where I'm standing. :)

All those registry, filestream, etcetra functions will be the same as they are a part of the .NET API. So getting into C# from either VB or C++ isn't hard at all.

BTW, another similarity between C# and VB.NET is that programs created in both of them get compiled in MSIL/CIL which runs in CLR. So the performance is the same too.

Harrypotter_fan added 0 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Doubtful, all i know is HTML which wouldnt help one little bit :p And i've pretty much forgot that!

But it does tend to give you an edge over others :p

Okay guys second decision time for the feature team. This regards the way the application will be used. Please choose between the following two options:

1. Client Server System
Client-server system. Server will contain the database and all official statistics, player information. Clients will be Windows applications. Anyone can download a client and use the rosters to simulate matches. The simulation algorithms and such will all be stored locally in the client itself. Official tournaments will upload statistics/results back to the main server. Tournament simmers will have to authenticate into the server to activate that functionality. Anyone using the client for fun can have the option of outputting statistics to a local database.

Pros
- Anyone can run simulations
- Centralized database means that if there are multiple simmers, they will not have to email files around
- Software can be distributed to other sites (they would not be able to authenticate into the DB, hopefully!)

Cons
- Simmer would need to be connected to the internet
- Database would have to be available on demand (probably having PC host it would be good)

Other Information
Database: MySQL on server, SQLite for local database

2. Current System
Each simmer would have an executable and a local database. This database would contain information about all players/tournaments/etc. There will hence be no centralized database and each simmer would be forking off their own simulation environment. This is basically option 1 without authentication.

Pros
- Can simulate without internet connection

Cons
- Multiple simmers would have to email the database file around a lot
- Would require extra work on the part of simmers to make stats available to everyone

Other Information
Database: SQLite

--------------

I personally prefer Option 1. :)

Go with option 1.

With option 1, we have a clear and easy knowledge of who is using the system, and who isn't. (I assume everything would be logged)

This could also quite easily avoid any rigging of the system (If that was to occur)

Options 1 seems better, but it requries more work I guess. :p I mean, those authentication systems, the connection to the internet, etc.

But seeing as I'll learn on the go, I would go with any option really! :)

Kshitiz_Indian added 30 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

I just found out my first irritant with C#. Its case sensitive but doesn't automatically correct cases like vb.net! :p

Users who are viewing this thread