Story Hampshire Hawks Swoop for County Championship Glory! (Cricket Coach)

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
ssn8ni.gif
Breaking News

Hampshire have today appointed Matthew Roberts as their new coach, following the shocking resignation of previous coach, Tim Tremlett.

In an interview with 'The Hampshire Chronicle', Roberts aims to bring at least two trophies to Hampshire this season, as well as a host of quality players.

"Although I was very much a Lancashire fan as a youngster, I am utterly thrilled at the prospect of managing such a high class county as Hampshire", said Roberts, "I assure the fans that this will be a season to remember".

Strong words by Matthew Roberts, and we here at the Sky Sports cricket office will keep you updated here throughout the season.

Last edited:
ssn8ni.gif
BREAKING NEWS

England Test Quartet join the Hawks

England Test stars, Andrew Strauss, Graham Thorpe, Ed Smith and Robert Key have all joined the Hampshire set-up today, and have said that Hampshire coach Matthew Roberts was hugely influential in their decision.

"He has a good reputation around the county circuit, and he has great potential to become a great coach" states Andrew Strauss as he put pen to paper on a lucrative 3 year deal.

"I think he is a nice man to be around; he is very level headed and is a tough but fair person" says Ed Smith in in his 'Daily Telegraph' column.

"He is one of the most down to earth coaches around and i'm glad to be playing my swansong season with him at the helm" says Thorpe exclusively to the Sky Sports cricket office.

"He's been for a pint with me and Freddie!" jokes Robert Key.

In the wake of these recent additions, there has been a departure from teh Hampshire side, as overseas player Dominic Thornley has left the club by mutual consent. No official reason has been given as to his departure, but rumours are circulating that it something to do with abuse of his 'stawberry blonde' hair.

That's all from the Sky Sports cricket office tonight, but tune in tomorrow for major news about Hampshire's new overseas signing.

nice story ..... good to see the International players are in the team ....:cheers ...looking forward for this one

ssn8ni.gif
BREAKING NEWS

Hampshire coach Matthew Roberts walked into today's press conference with a huge beaming smile on his face as he prepared to announce his two new signings.

"I am delighted to say that Australian wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist has joined us for the season as our other overseas player, following the unfortunate exit of Dominic Thronley" stated Roberts, "I am also hapy to announce the signing of former Lancashire leg-spinner, Chris Schofield".

So Hampshire have now signed 6 players for the new season and they are looking like one of the early favourites for the County Championship.

Also, Graham Thorpe has been announced as the new Hampshire captain for the 2006 season.

That's all from the Sky Sports cricket office for now; join us later when Hampshire play Warwickshire in the first County Championship game of the season.

Bala said:
Whoa! From where did you get schofield back?

I was surprised too mate! He was just there in the available players list, as well as Strauss and Smith who aren't usually there!

ssn8ni.gif
LIVE!

Charles Colville: Hello and welcome to Edgebaston for the first County Championship match of the season between Warwickshire and Hampshire. Hampshire come in to this game as huge favourites given their recent flurry of new signings, but Strauss, Smith and Key won't play today, as well as other new signings, Chris Schofield and Adam Gilchrist. Heath Streak won the toss, and rather surprisingly, elected to bowl first. So without any further delay, let's have a look at the teams:

Warwickshire

Nick Knight
Ian Bell
Ian Trott
Michael Powell
Alex Loudon
Dougie Brown
Heath Streak (c)
Ashley Giles
Tim Frost (k)
Neil Carter
Naqueesh Tahir

Hampshire

Chris Benham
Michael Brown
Michael Carberry
Graham Thorpe (c)
Kevin Pietersen
Nic Pothas (k)
Sean Ervine
Dimitri Mascherenas
Shaun Udal
James Bruce
Chris Tremlett

Charles Colville: So even though Hampshire's new signings aren't playing today, they do still pose a huge threat to Warwickshire today; Young Benham and Brown maybe a little inexperienced at the top of the order, but they are backed up by a powerhouse middle order including Pietersen, Thorpe, Crawley and Pothas. Hampshire also have the likes of Ervine and Mascherenas to bolster the the tail. Now over to David Lloyd for the pitch report.

David Lloyd: Well this is a typical Edgebaston pitch Charles; it's bouncy, it's hard and it looks to be favourable to the batsmen. However, the pitch is very dry due to the overnight heat, so the bowlers will definitley be in with a shout, and with Giles and Udal about, we could see a battle between them for the England spinner's spot. So although I would bat first on this pitch, it's not a bad decision by Heath Steak to have a bowl at the Hampshire lads.

Charles Colville: Thanks David; Join us live after the break where the live coverage will begin.

Hey cracking thread, PC need a Cricket Coach story, how the hell did you get Strauss and Key?? I Know Your using 1.05, lucky somthing or other, hehe ill keep checking this out!

Yeah like I said before, they were just there! I couldn't believe my luck! I'll post the match very soon, just fixing my photoshop!

ssn8ni.gif
LIVE!

Charles Colville: It's the end of play on day 1 here at Edgebaston and Hampshire have just nudged today's play, although Warwickshire enjoyed a good day with the ball, and if it wasn't for the brilliant captain's knock from debutant Graham Thorpe, and an explosive 83 from Kevin Pietersen Hampshire would have been in trouble. Ashley Giles must have known the Sky Cameras where on him, because he turned in an impressive performance on a turning wicket, as he returned figures of 2/99 from 36 overs.

Close of play on Day 1, Scorecard:

Hampshire 1st innings- 318/6

Thorpe - 108
Pietersen - 83

Brown - 2/56
Giles - 2/99

Sights of the Day:

thorpe4yj.th.jpg

Thorpe- Leading by example

kp1ha.th.jpg

Pietersen- As brisk as ever

aashleygiles7om.jpg

Giles- Impressive performance

Charles Colville: All in all it's been a fantastic days cricket today, and we hope for more of the same tomorrow.

good start by Hampshire!!! :cheers Pieterson and Thorpe played well!!! As six wickets had lost, i think, 350/360 plus will be a good score!!!

Also nice story mate!!!

ssn8ni.gif
LIVE!

Charles Colville: Hello and welcome once again, to Sky Sports for highlights of the second day's play of this fascinating contest between Warwickshire and Hampshire. After yesterday's play, the contest is left finely balanced, so let's not waste time and show what has happened today at Edgebaston:

An absolutley incredible tail-end performance from Hampshire, as they started the day on 318/6 and were eventually bowled out for 484, despite losing Sean Ervine early. Shaun Udal scored 67 alongside Dimitri Mascherenas who scored a brave 49. Warwickhire made a great start to their innings, with Nick Knight scoring 40 of just 53 bowls before edging a Chris Tremlett snorter to Shaun Udal at second slip. All in all, a pretty good day for Hampshire, and the late wicket of Knight will give them a lot of confidence going into tomorrow.

Close of Play Day 2, Scorecard:

Hampshire 1st innings: 484

Thopre - 108
Pietersen - 83
Udal - 67

Giles - 4/145
Brown - 3/71

Warwickshire 1st innings: 63/1

Knight - 40
Bell - 18*

Tremlett - 1/27

Sights Of The Day:

dimitrimascarenhas2528pd.jpg

Mascherenas hits another boundary as the Hampshire tail wags.

udal5rb.th.jpg

Udal uses his experience to usher his young tail.

nick8ae.th.jpg

Night made a brilliant 40 before falling to Tremlett late on.

Tune in tomorrow for the third days play to see if Hampshire can build on there already good performance.

Cool story, I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on once your stars get called away on international duty :)

You'll be pleased to know we've added html outputs of scorecards for the next softwrap upgrade, so that should make writing stories a bit easier!

Users who are viewing this thread