Help was useful, review the results.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Hi all.
I thought it would be good if someone experienced could give us tutorial on scratch bat making, using photoshop. Like using what tools, color schemes. It would be good for all the batmakers so that we can get motre quality work

Please anyone give a tutorial on scratch bat making.

Last edited:

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20691

Its been explained here, that it isnt really possible to make a tutorial on this as you will need a wide range of tools and the techniques will vary from design to design.

But very basically what you will need to start off with is a blank bat with a good quality woodgrain. Then find good pictures of the bat to use as a reference. If you are lucky you will find good quality logo's on the web, these can be pasted onto the blank bat, but you will need to draw most of the bat yourself.

kuttakumar

International Coach
I think there are several sites on the web for wood texture tutorials. Apply the tutorial with a yellowish brown colour base.

Through google images search for quality logo pics and grip pics.

To get the letters right, choose the correct fonts. Here are my two favourite font sites:

www.dafont.com/en
www.fontica.com

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I dont want to know how to create wood texture. I want to know that how do scratch batmakers make different shapes. I mean Do they strech the image and then repaint it or they make shapes on their own. If they make shapes on their own, what tools?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I'm hoping to put together a few tutorials on this soon (with some help from others). It might take a while to cover everything as different people probably use totally different techniques but watch this space as they say.

Burma's Finest

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
bakshikshitiz said:
I dont want to know how to create wood texture. I want to know that how do scratch batmakers make different shapes.
Look, Kev is going out of his way to try and organise a set of tutorials for bat-making. At the very least you could sound a note of appreciation for his efforts.

As Saurabh, Drewska, and I have said a million times, there is no real way to teach these skills. No one taught us after all. We just developed through practice, dedication, and hard work.

This seems to be a recurring theme around here lately so let me say it again. There is no quick fix! I'm sorry if this sounds immodest but you are not going to be able to create bats like mine overnight. If you want proof, just go and look at the 'Bat Pics for Bat-making' thread and you'll see how long it took me to get from where I started with my bat-making, to what I'm producing theses days. It took months of practice, 100s of bats, and even more revisions.

Most importantly, you have to set yourself high standards. I, for example, am rarely satisfied with my first attempt at a bat and usually end up revising it 2 or 3 times at least. Finally, what has to be said is that the bats I make take many hours each to complete and, ultimately, you have to decide whether or not you can be bothered to spend the time.

Maybe I'm just really boring but I enjoy doing it. :p

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Kev said:
I'm hoping to put together a few tutorials on this soon (with some help from others). It might take a while to cover everything as different people probably use totally different techniques but watch this space as they say.

Thanks Kev

Burma's Finest said:
Look, Kev is going out of his way to try and organise a set of tutorials for bat-making. At the very least you could sound a note of appreciation for his efforts.

As Saurabh, Drewska, and I have said a million times, there is no real way to teach these skills. No one taught us after all. We just developed through practice, dedication, and hard work.

This seems to be a recurring theme around here lately so let me say it again. There is no quick fix! I'm sorry if this sounds immodest but you are not going to be able to create bats like mine overnight. If you want proof, just go and look at the 'Bat Pics for Bat-making' thread and you'll see how long it took me to get from where I started with my bat-making, to what I'm producing theses days. It took months of practice, 100s of bats, and even more revisions.

Most importantly, you have to set yourself high standards. I, for example, am rarely satisfied with my first attempt at a bat and usually end up revising it 2 or 3 times at least. Finally, what has to be said is that the bats I make take many hours each to complete and, ultimately, you have to decide whether or not you can be bothered to spend the time.

Maybe I'm just really boring but I enjoy doing it. :p

Listen , I appreciate that you took some interest in helping others. I know you are right, it takes loads of practice and time. But i am ready to practice and spend time also.!!!!!!! All i want to know from experienced people is that what tools to use etc. because i dont know anything about photoshop. please , i know it takes practice, and i'm ready for practice , but atleast i should know what to practice????????????

sid_19840

International Coach
Although Im no bat maker and have never made a bat from scratch,but if I wanted to try Id try to find a bat which is pretty easy to make to start with(mainly with straight lines and rectangles so that I could use the rectangular marquee and the pen tool).Something else Id try is to just copy paste the pattern's in the bats and just recolour them with the original colours in the bats.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
sid_19840 said:
Although Im no bat maker and have never made a bat from scratch,but if I wanted to try Id try to find a bat which is pretty easy to make to start with(mainly with straight lines and rectangles so that I could use the rectangular marquee and the pen tool).Something else Id try is to just copy paste the pattern's in the bats and just recolour them with the original colours in the bats.

Shall i make a brittania Bat for a start.?

sid_19840

International Coach
bakshikshitiz said:
Shall i make a brittania Bat for a start.?

Sure,if you think that you can make it then go ahead.

Here's an example,all I did was copy and repaint the shape and adjust the text slightly.Took about 5 mins to do.Just to prove that if I can do it then anyone can :p

Last edited:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Ok, i ' ve tried my hand on 4gb scratch bats and tried brittania for A START. PLEASE TELL HOW IS IT??

I've done every detail from scratch.

The bat is of higher quality, but my screenshot is bad, because i can play at amx 1024 x 768. I hope someone like burma can help and get this screenie right.
Thanks
Please give your suggestions.

Attachments

• ScreenShot.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread