How about A Two Tier Test System

ronaldo7777

PC Journalism Contest Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
After watching Australias trouncing of Bangladesh I've had an idea. Why not have a two tier test system.

Tier 1:

Australia
England
India
Pakistan
New Zealand
South Africa
West Indies
Sri Lanka

Tier 2:

Bangladesh
Zimbabwe (If they can get there act together)
Kenya
USA
Ireland
Scotland
UAE
Holland

This would give the lesser One Day sides an oppertunity to play test cricket at a resonable level. And save sides like Australia having to go to lesser nations (already knackered) and face Bangladesh.

And I dont know. The top two get an oppertunity to play an away series (every 6 months) against a test playing side.

What do you guys think.

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
Not practical as ICC won't be able to sustain the 2nd tier. I mean how exactly will the revenue for 2nd tier be generated? Nobody will want to see matches between USA and Zim, so who incurs the expense of organizing the matches?

ronaldo7777 said:
After watching Australias trouncing of Bangladesh I've had an idea. Why not have a two tier test system.

Tier 1:

Australia
England
India
Pakistan
New Zealand
South Africa
West Indies
Sri Lanka

Tier 2:

Bangladesh
Kenya
USA
Ireland
Scotland
UAE
Holland

This would give the lesser One Day sides an oppertunity to play test cricket at a resonable level. And save sides like Australia having to go to lesser nations (already knackered) and face Bangladesh.

And I dont know. The top two get an oppertunity to play an away series (every 6 months) against a test playing side.

What do you guys think.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
ronaldo7777 said:

Tier 1:

Australia
England
India
Pakistan
New Zealand
South Africa
West Indies
Sri Lanka

Tier 2:

Bangladesh
Kenya
USA
Ireland
Scotland
UAE
Holland

What do you guys think.
The USA certainly wouldn't deserve a spot in a second tier at the expense of far better nations such as Canada, Bermuda, Namibia and Denmark.

They already have the Intercontinental Cup which is basically the second tier, and they're talking about adding a second division to that from next year. Promotion and relegation between that and the test nations could prove to be a reality if we see an improvement in the top associates. The gap between the top associates and the low-end of the test nations is a lot closer than many people say it is.

The ICC have recently implemented a huge multi-tier structure for One day cricket, which has a host of global and regional tournaments designed to qualify six teams for temporary ODI status. I say see how the first one of those works out, ie. up to it gives the next six teams for ODI status in 2009, and how they then perform at the 2011 World Cup before looking at implementing something similar for test cricket.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Bangladesh is stuck in the middle. They are way too good for other minnows, their recent trouncing of Kenya shows that. However, they aren't consistent enough to compete with top teams. In between. Definately don't deserve to be in the Second Tier, yet not good enough for the First Tier.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe some time in the second tier will get their confidence up:

Maybe an event each year.

World Cup

ICC Champions trophy

Super Series

Tests and ODI's between first tier and second tier

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
I doubt this idea would ever happen. What should happen is that the minnows have 4/3 day games against each-other. ODI's will give them little experience for tests.

ronaldo7777

PC Journalism Contest Winner
I just feel that like your all saying. Bangladesh aren't there yet. But I feel the minnows deserve a chance to play 4/5 day cricket against eachother.Maybe keep Bangladesh in Tier 1. But have the rest in tier 2. And then the odd occasion getting an oppertunity against the test sides.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
TBH we already do have a 2 tier system only with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in the top tier.
It wouldn't help Bangladesh to be dropped into the 2nd tier cause they would be the Australia of that tier. Then they come up and get thrashed again. It would stuff up all the progress they have made recently. A win is not far away for Bangladesh.

Also take a look at Sri Lanka when they first came in. They were the easy beats of cricket, then in 96 they won the WC and no longer were the easy beats. Bangladesh just need time.

Zimbabwe need a new Government before they become competitive, so you could drop them off.

Dasda

School Cricketer
In Canada how can they expect people to like their team. Every match canada plays is never on tv. People never get to see the team play so they cant like them.

rituraj

School Cricketer
I have a different idea on this. I think a first class structure involving the test nations & its geographical nearby associate nations should play in. For eg In asia A team of India, Pak & Sl along with test team of BD should be involved with nepal, afganistan china, malaysia, uae etc. Similary in Europe, Eng A with host of other associate teams in separate FC structure & so on. At the end of the season a major ICC torney should be played of these associate countries.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Good idea, but it can be changed slightly. Malaysia, UAE, and Nepal can all play in India's domestic structure with Mumbai and UP and such. Likewise, Netherlands, Ireland, Scotland, etc. can be in the English structure, and the American ones with the Windies.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
ZoraxDoom said:
Good idea, but it can be changed slightly. Malaysia, UAE, and Nepal can all play in India's domestic structure with Mumbai and UP and such. Likewise, Netherlands, Ireland, Scotland, etc. can be in the English structure, and the American ones with the Windies.
A lot of these have been done and abandoned in one-day cricket, often for financial reasons.

The Netherlands and Denmark used to play in a county tournament, now only Ireland and Scotland do.

The USA, Canada, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands all played in the West Indies, now no longer do.

Kenya and Namibia have both played in South African domestic cricket, they no longer do.

The UAE and Malaysia have both played in Pakistani domestic cricket, they no longer do.

The only current projects of this type are Ireland and Scotland being involved in the C&G Trophy in England, and a combined East-Asia Pacific team playing in the lower levels of Australian cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread