How highly should Dale Steyn be rated?.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't just mean the abilities. I think batsmen these days have to score quicker, so are more aggressive, which helps with wicket taking. There aren't as many batsmen around that you have to prise out because they won't offer you an easy chance.

Yea good point & yes batting line-ups of the 1990s where definately better than the 2000s. Thats pretty straightforward IMO.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Steyn is gun. He's got so much control and gets great shape, not to mention pace and bounce. Definitely one of the better pace bowlers we've seen in a while (one who manages to stay not suspended, at least).

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
He is a clone of Malcolm Marshall. Alarming low S/R to go with >200 wickets at an average of below 24. That too against all opposition in all conditions.

P

pcfan123

and like the great Marshall he can bowl in all conditions, not just the Saffer decks

P

pcfan123

If he keeps these stats up for another 200 wickets, then yes

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Even another 100 would do. If he does keep it up, then my list would be:

Marshall
Steyn
Hadlee
Khan
Wasim

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye if Steyn reaches 300 test wickets @ the rate he is going, which would mean taking this next 63 wickets in 10-15 test. It would be hard not to put him in the top 5 ever TBH.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
the ironic thing with steyn is the two best times I've ever seen him bowl he hasn't found the break throughs. Against india and england, the batsmen got through it. that almost hampers him, you'd have loved to show those spells to people in the future saying "this is the time Steyn took 4/9 in a spell against england/india"

actually that is not true now I think about it, he was a beast in the west indies and he ate them.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
If anyone can get a video of day 3, third test India V South Africa, you must watch it. Steyn was just too special. Outstanding fast bowling, you knew you were watching something really special when he was running in to bowl. Man that got the adrenaline pumping.

ChefMan21

Club Cricketer
He's well on his way to all time great status, if he isn't already there. Probably needs another 3 - 5 years of consistent wicket taking to cement his spot though. What I love about him is he just rips in all day. I nearly think he would be a better bowler if he slowed it down a touch in the coming years. But then he wouldn't be quite as intimidating. If he keeps it up, then definitely top 5.

Sureshot

Executive member
He's well on his way to all time great status, if he isn't already there. Probably needs another 3 - 5 years of consistent wicket taking to cement his spot though. What I love about him is he just rips in all day.

This. His record against India in particular is astonishing, 53 wickets @ 19. A bit off being given all-time great status.

offdriven4

Club Cricketer
I know his record is great but what makes me rate him so highly is just my gut feeling. I know I'm watching something special when I watch Dale Steyn run in.

Completely agree,he's quite possibly the only (well maybe anderson aswell) truly world class quick around and the type of player you'd pay to watch,without hesitating.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ok so how highly is the planetcricket fraternity willing to rate steyn now that he has reached the magical 300 figure?.

Records show - he is the now has reached 300 test wickets in the same test as marshall & hadlee, while two tests better than his legendary countryman allan donald. Only Lillee thus had reached 300 wickets for fast-bowlers quicker than him essentially.

In my lifetime of watching cricket since the 1997 i'd say Steyn since 2006 has been the best fast-bowler i've seen. On par with what i saw from McGrath at his peak from 97-2002, donald 97-2000 along with ambrose, pollock & akram.

Users who are viewing this thread