How to make Test Cricket more interesting?

How to make Tes Cricket More Interseting?

• Pronouced Seam Ball

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 4 Day Test

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Test Cricket is better the way it is

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Increasing the size of boundaries

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Give every player one challenge per match for Hawkeye replay?

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Why play, just spin the coing and decide the match:-)

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Remove 2 bouncer limit from test matches

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Bring back bodyline:-) Oh yeah baby.

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
1. Regarding the draw-penalization which is actually something I brought up in a separate thread. There was a report in the ToI a couple of weeks back regarding the amount of draws. Surprisingly, draws are less frequent in this decade than in the last. However, the reason for more draws in the past was defensive cricket, whereas the reason now is pitches that offer nothing. The statistic was something like 35% in the 90's compared to 30% in the 2000's. However, in 2009 something like 48% of the matches were drawn. It may well even itself out, but there is cause to believe it won't. A penalization process would have to be applied over a period if time--probably 1 or 2 years. However, the process would need to be thought of carefully (something the ICC is incapable of) because teams may just schedule series' against weaker opposition towards the end of the seasons to improve the percentage.

2. I disagree with the formulaic suggestions that pitches should do a certain thing on Day 1 and a certain thing on Day 5, etc. Each pitch needs to be unique to the country of origin. There's no point going to India and playing on the same pitch that you'd get somewhere else. As someone else suggested, make sure teams produce pitches that favour their home team. India/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh should have dry, turning tracks; Pakistan should have slightly faster tracks given their fast-bowling strength; South Africa, Australia and New Zealand should have greener, bouncier tracks and England should have tracks that help the seam bowlers and offer a bit for slower bowlers, as well as the swinging conditions (which obviously can't be prepared). This way, each team actually has an advantage playing at home, and there are challenges for touring sides to perform in foreign conditions.

Leave it alone!

Play more test, less ODI and even less Twenty20!

Add an extra test to 2 test series, play more tests rather than less.

Jakester1288 added 3 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

I have an Idea but it will all ends up classic cricket,their should be four 50 overs innings each team having two innings.

sorry! my brain is in 'sleep' mood still. so thats the best i could come up with! dont scream at me!

'hit atleast one 6 per 5 overs' :(

MacLovin added 4 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

OH OH! another one! make ICE TEST cricket version ;) and make that 3 day long:D

What. The. Flip.

That is one of the, if not the worst suggestion ever.

Last edited:
why change a good thing its like football - always trying to change; save all the crazy regulations for one-dayers which have their place but will always be secondary to test cricket imo

why change a good thing its like football - always trying to change; save all the crazy regulations for one-dayers which have their place but will always be secondary to test cricket imo
Why have the crazy knee-jerk ideas at all? Get rid of the administrators and get people in who actually care about what is good for the game rather than what makes the most money.

That's what I was talking about. I knew the ice cricket was a joke, what is with "you have to hit a 6 every 5 overs". That suggestion is terrible.

LOl ice cricket was more series then the 6 in every over..or every 5 overs or w/e.. 1st part was a complet BLAH..

Just a few idea's reading back over this thread.

* Use the lights - When the light is dark and there is a few overs to get through that would be possible to finish use the lights if they are available for half an hour or an hour or so
* Unlimited bouncers - Limits on bouncers are not necessary. I made a thread on this once
* Better pitches - Not overly fussed about this, as long as we have a pitch that offers something and is likely to get a result, it's better
* Over rates - Crack down and fine (or take other measures if necessary) to get the overs in

Just whatever happens, don't shorten the format or do any of the other stupid drastic measures we have heard of before and already in this thread.

Just a few idea's reading back over this thread.

* Use the lights - When the light is dark and there is a few overs to get through that would be possible to finish use the lights if they are available for half an hour or an hour or so

This is happening in the Ashes.

Users who are viewing this thread