ICC Champions Trophy 2013 - England & Wales

Just a question to Australian supporters. Are you guys surprised not to see Aaron Finch in the squad?

The expected squad which is good. From that
Warner
Watson
Hughes
Clarke
Bailey
Wade
Faulkner
Starc
Johnson
McKay
Doherty

I was thinking about probably sacrificing Hughes @ # #3 & batting Clarke there instead - so that AUS can fully utilize the all-rounders strength in the team.

Watson, Warner, Clarke, Bailey, Voges, Wade, Marsh, Maxwell, Faulkner, Starc, McKay.

----------

Just a question to Australian supporters. Are you guys surprised not to see Aaron Finch in the squad?

Nah. He unfortunately didn't get runs in the last ODI series vs Windies when given a chance, while someone like Voges took his chances, which is why he missed out on this squad. But he is still a highly regarded player & could get back into the ODI/T20 set-ups very soon.

Doherty's place should have gone to Henriques or Ben Cutting.

I don't think so. Cutting wouldn't have played at all with 5 fast bowlers already picked ahead of him - Marsh and Watson ahead of Henriques as well. Might as well pick Doherty/another spinner in case the pitches aren't as pace friendly as predicted. He doesn't have to be in the XI, it's just an option.

They should open with Watson and Hughes, Clarke at 3 and Voges in at 6. Warner is pretty ordinary for the number of chances and the amount of security he has in the team.

YES! I've got some problems with Warner in ODIs, just the way he goes about building an innings. Tends to get lots of 10-30 type of scores. He seems stuck between T20 and Test gears and can't work out which way to go. In T20 he can attack his way out of a string of dot balls, but in ODIs he can't because that's too reckless. I think Watson, Hughes, Clarke is the best top 3. Depending on the situation, I think Maxwell would be worth an insertion up there as well to try and disrupt the bowlers.

No, not really. Finch had his shot last summer, and a few IPL runs aren't going to get him over the line. The guy I suspected might be there was Shaun Marsh. But again...Aussies have too many top order batsmen and not enough 'finishers'. Mike Hussey's absence will again be noted :( Unless of course the guys in the top 4 actually do a good job. Crucial to get to get past the 30-35 over mark with 3 or less wickets down. Then you can really launch. If you lose 3-4 by halfway, then you'll be pushing the heap uphill and looking at 250 max. Not enough these days.

I am not an Aussie supporter but i really feel like bailey should be given a chance to bat in odi 1down or 2down and be included in the Ashes test!!!!!

No, not really. Finch had his shot last summer, and a few IPL runs aren't going to get him over the line. The guy I suspected might be there was Shaun Marsh. But again...Aussies have too many top order batsmen and not enough 'finishers'. Mike Hussey's absence will again be noted

Voges,Wade,Marsh,Maxwell can hit some a long way TBH.

^Oh yeah, they'll do OK. I just don't have a lot of faith that those guys can CONSISTENTLY either save an innings at 4/100, or put the cherry on top of a good score. More likely to finish well that bat for long periods I'd say.

Will be interesting to see who actually plays: I'm guessing the top 5 is basically locked (Warner, Watson, Hughes, Clarke, Bailey). Wade has to play at 6 or 7. Then it's just a matter of whether Voges, Marsh or Maxwell get the last spot. I'm guessing Voges would probably play if Watson's bowling well enough to bowl 10. Marsh would play if the preferred balance is 3 quicks, Doherty and Marsh/Watson for 10. Maxwell would play if it's 4 quicks.

India's 15 men squad will look something like this:

Dhawan
Gambhir
Kohli
Rohit
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Jadeja/Pathan
Ashwin
Praveen
Bhuvneshwar
Umesh
Vijay
Tiwary
Jadeja/Pathan
Ishant/Vinay/Shami

I am not really expecting a trophy from this team. Team looks solid on paper but in those conditions against quality bowling attack, it will be always hard. A lot will rely on how Gambhir, Kohli and Dhoni performs. If they are in good form and performs well than we have a chance otherwise...

I support my home India but i love Aussies more,so my first support is for the Ausssies.C'mon Clarkey show the world that Aussies are still and will continue to dominate cricket forever.Aussssssie Ausssssieeee :thumbs

I'd really like if Vinay is left out if that is at all the squad (looks more likely).
Yadav, Bhuvnesh, Shami, Sharma..... hopefully Sreesanth makes a cut but looks unlikely at the moment.So it will more likely be Irfan.
You also need to have atleast two full time spinners, where Mishra will get the cut, not sure about the other though. Guess Tiwary might loose hi place.

From my view team should be like this ---

Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli
Yuvraj
Raina
Dhoni
Jadeja
Ashwin
Vinay Kumar
B Kumar
Yadav

Rahane
Mishra
Dinesh Karthik
Ishant / Praveen Kumar

Last edited:
YES! I've got some problems with Warner in ODIs, just the way he goes about building an innings. Tends to get lots of 10-30 type of scores. He seems stuck between T20 and Test gears and can't work out which way to go. In T20 he can attack his way out of a string of dot balls, but in ODIs he can't because that's too reckless. I think Watson, Hughes, Clarke is the best top 3. Depending on the situation, I think Maxwell would be worth an insertion up there as well to try and disrupt the bowlers.

I reckon Warner's best shot of making it in ODIs is batting like he does in T20, as I still like having that explosive opener and he was meant to be it. But that is too late now, he is well down the track of being converted from a destructive batsmen to a more sensible one. Maxwell still has that about his batting although I get the feeling he too will be converted into a more sensible batter.

I think this 'sensible batting' is the root of the problem. Management/captain etc. want the top 4 to 'make big scores'. That includes Warner, but it seems to mess up his mindset more than anything. I think in time Warner will work it out, and he's already shown a few signs in the IPL thus far of being more measured, but still effective. I'm hoping that with Watson back at the top, Warner will feel less pressure for a big score and feel more free to attack.

Looking up some stats...the Warner/Watson partnership hasn't been too productive thus far in ODIs (26.45 partnership average in 11 opening stands, 4.40 RPO), but then again Warner hasn't really had productive opening stands with anyone:
with Wade: 14 inns, 36.71 avg, 4.99RPO
with S.Marsh: 5 inns, 34.00 avg, 5.12RPO
with Ponting: 3 inns, 23.00 avg, 7.01RPO
with Hughes/Clarke/D.Hussey: 4 inns, 14.00 avg, 3.61RPO
In fact I can only find 5 50+ opening partnerships featuring David Warner (3 with Wade, 1 each with Watson and Marsh), pretty low for a guy who's opened 37 times. Statguru tells me there have been 330 50+ opening stands in the last 5 years out of 1265 completed opening partnerships (1 every 3.83 innings). Going by that, Warner should have featured in 9-10 50+ opening stands by now... so it's fairly safe to say that the Aussie opening pair has been a problem, and needs to be fixed. Not all Warner's fault of course, but I think he's got a fair bit to answer for.

Supporting any team except India, looking forward to a SA versus Eng final.

Users who are viewing this thread