ICC Champions Trophy 2013 - England & Wales

National Team:India

But supporting any team except India?I dont understand mate :p

Lolz, okay then wouldnt mind seeing India reach the finals and loss to Pakistan.

Seems a pretty open cup, India may be favourites theyre ranked number one they have an excellent lineup with Dhoni in front, good thing Sachin has retired the side have some fresh faces young blood who are thirsty to get some silverware, in all seriousness I may not mind India winning but lets see.

----------

And what is the idea behind your avatar?

Shoot me a private message this should not be discussed on a thread like this.

I don't think so. Cutting wouldn't have played at all with 5 fast bowlers already picked ahead of him - Marsh and Watson ahead of Henriques as well. Might as well pick Doherty/another spinner in case the pitches aren't as pace friendly as predicted. He doesn't have to be in the XI, it's just an option.

But if the spinner isn't not good enough to utilize the conditions - he would become a wasted selection. Doherty has been crap in all formats since the 2012 windies tour. So they were better of picking at least Henriques.

If it is the selectors wanted a spin option - why not O'Keefe. But based on this interview quote, i'm starting to suspect the selectors simply don't rate O'Keefe:

John Inverarity: 'Players can become jaded playing all forms of the game' | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

quote said:
Dan Brettig: A question that keeps coming up, particularly in reference to the India tour, was, why doesn't Steve O'Keefe get picked?

Inverarity: Steve O'Keefe is a very good cricketer. He's taken wickets, and he's a steady batsman. Whenever we've been at the selection table, we've marginally preferred other players to him. But he's still regarded as a good cricketer. We're very aware of his figures and we do look deeper than that. But there's a panel of five of us and there's a consistency of view when we select the spinners.

I guess my point was that a month or 2 out, we don't know exactly what the conditions are - so your squad has to have at least a little bit of flexibility. Would look really foolish if Aussies get a pitch where the ball is turning, against a team that might play multiple spinners eg. Sri Lanka, and they haven't even named one in the squad. Because as much as I don't really like Doherty, I think on a receptive pitch his value goes up to at least the value of a 4th/5th fast bowler eg. Doherty on receptive pitches in the West Indies last year did quite well - pretty sure he was the leading wicket taker in that series (equal leading with Narine and Roach I discover...)

Looking up some stats...the Warner/Watson partnership hasn't been too productive thus far in ODIs (26.45 partnership average in 11 opening stands, 4.40 RPO), but then again Warner hasn't really had productive opening stands with anyone:

That is about right when you look at Warner's average. Part of it wouldn't have been helped by his partner as apart from Watson they have been floating around the batting lineup and also still establishing themselves. It'll be interesting seeing how he goes with Watson.

He does need to stand up in this tournament though, if not it would be time to send him a wakeup call.

Batting has been troubling the Aussies equally after the retirements of Hussey and Ponting.Since its in England,the Aussie should really like the moving seaming conditions here.Where is this guy Simon Katich gone?He is an amazing cricketer.I would certainly love to see him play for the Aussie again.Warner should be dropped down the order and Watson must find a new opening partner for him.I would even give Ed Cowan a thinking.He looks like a solid guy.Though he plays very slow,i guess he can adapt to the ODI format too.Else another good move will be Watson-Haddin at the top.

I hope India crashes out in the very first round, after playing the first two games only! :D

And the biggest hypocrite of Indian fans arrive. Perfect squad to be honest and it was necessary dropping Yuvraj and Gambhir as both were out of form. Yes Gambhir has played some good knocks this IPL, but none were dominating ones

India squad for the champions trophy: MS Dhoni (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Dinesh Karthik, M Vijay, Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Irfan Pathan, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ishant Sharma, Amit Mishra, Vinay Kumar

Champions Trophy 2013 : No Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh for Champions Trophy | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo

Would've probably had Rahane for Vijay and someone else for Vinay Kumar... but given the squad above, the best XI imo:

1. Murali Vijay/Dinesh Karthik
2. Shikhar Dhawan
3. Virat Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Suresh Raina
6. MS Dhoni*?
7. Irfan Pathan/Ravindra Jadeja
8. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
9. Ravichandran Ashwin/Amit Mishra
10. Umesh Yadav
11. Ishant Sharma

I would have both Jadeja and Irfan in that team,and drop Ishant.

The only problem is both Kumar and Irfan are not great Death Bowlers.

Kumar already bowls 10 overs almost on the trot.

I am not really unhappy with the squad.Murali Vijay performed very well against Australia in the test series,so he was an automatic choice.I am surprised to see how silly people are.They tell that the selection should not be based on IPL but now the same people say Vijay did not perform in IPL but he is selected because he plays for Chennai Super Kings.Funny people everywhere.Gautam Gambhir,after dis respecting Rahul Dravid yesterday has got the best punishment.Thank you Sandeep Patil Sir.The only thing i am unhappy with is the selection of Vinay Kumar,he is as useless as Dinda is.I would have liked to see someone like Praveen Kumar in there.And well Yuvraj is in the same boat as Sehwag,Harbhajan and Zaheer,so guess its time up for them.

I hope India crashes out in the very first round, after playing the first two games only! :D

You my friend are one of the worst Indian fans I have seen.

Back on topic, TBH, It was a shock not to see both Gambhir and Yuvraj. I expected both of them to be in the squad. I am really not sure about Murli Vijay. He is technically strong but still struggles to make runs in bowler friendly conditions. Yuvraj was always going to get exposed in the seaming conditions but I still expected him to be there because of his experience and his allround skills. This should be the final 11:

Shikhar Dhawan
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Dinesh Karthik
Suresh Raina
MS Dhoni
Ravindra Jadeja/Irfan Pathan
R. Ashwin
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Ishant Sharma
Umesh Yadav

Pretty much similar team as Epic posted but just swapped the batting order of Rohit Sharma with Dinesh Karthik.

Users who are viewing this thread