ICC confirms 10 teams for next two World Cups

I only joined this fourm to have an angry rant at all of you about the ICC deciding that the full members were to be the only ones to be allowed to take part at the next world cup. Having read the comments however I have to apologizes for my rashness and say thanks for the support. however I must still say that this decision is appalling, mean-spirited and the complete antipodal of sportsmanship. Is sportsmanship not supposed to be what ever cricket player prides himself on. This is not about making the next world cup more entertaining its about eliminating any threat to a closed shop. England are more than happy to damage Irish cricket at any opportunity and continue to pick off our best players and the weaker test nations have seen Ireland improve to be in a position to threaten them. They know that if Ireland are allowed to do this others in time will follow. There are loads of alternatives could have gone to 16 teams and make it 4 groups, that would make it nice and short. Or seeded qualifying for everyone, if ICC are serious about expanding the interest in cricket then this is how they must go. But then we know they're not. Look I have to confess I'm not much of a cricket fan, It rugby I follow most, there may be even less teams in the world that could realistically win that world cup but at least we embrace all who love the sport and the coming world cup will be all the better for it. Anyway rant over sorry for the miss directed anger again and thanks for all the comments of support, but all the talk here will do no good unless there is active support for us and other associate nations on the ground in test countries.

Your argument ends there. You have no say in this. You're one of those 'elites' who wants cricket to remain within your own little circle for God knows what reason. Just like the ICC, you have no desire in opening your doors to the outside world, to spreading cricket around or to let outsiders to join your little band. The group that thinks 'You're either English, Australian, Subcontinental, South African or West Indian if you want to play cricket. Otherwise, we don't want you as a part of our group sorry.'

That's the same logic that will lead to the death of cricket, an irrational fear of letting outsiders have a role in the sport. Excuses like 'it's too long', 'minnows aren't good enough', 'they don't understand the history' are all rubbish. Spread it by T20, Ireland beat England, and what does history have to do with enjoying a sport.

The fact is that the ICC has just closed the door on the entire planet that isn't already a Test-Playing nation with this statement. Cricket fans and players in non-test nations now have nothing to aim for. They couldn't play Tests before, fine, but there was always a World Cup where they finally, for one time in 4 years they get to rub shoulders with the big boys and represent their nation in the sport they love, at the highest level.

But seriously, what's the point now? Why should they even play cricket? What good will all their efforts and dedication come to if they are never going to get a chance to show their skills at the biggest stage of them all? It's not like they're earning a good living from this. And it's not like their nations care if they're playing cricket - without a WC cricket is meaningless in Canada, Ireland, Netherlands. And don't you dare bring up T20 - I challenge you to find ONE cricketer on this planet who will recognise that as a proper form of the sport and choose to represent their nation in it over ODIs.

The ICC has just killed the ambitions of thousands, if not millions, of cricket fans and players around the world with one clean swipe.

You know what's embarassing? We claim cricket is the second most followed sport on the Planet, it's spreading, it's growing. Absolute bullshit. My friends from France and Spain had never even heard of cricket before coming to UST. Hong Kong locals have no clue how the sport works. Which sports do they know? Hockey. Volleyball. Tennis. Basketball. All sports supposedly lower on the rung than Cricket.

This is a joke. Cricket is still not yet an international sport, and if the ICC is going to continue like this, it will never be. It'll continue to be an ancient colonial past-time, open to only a small exclusive group with no new members welcome. A club that you can only join if you were born into it, or adopt the nationality of one of the nations that are welcome.

Frankly this is utter and complete rubbish and exactly why cricket is dying.
:clap:clap What a post sirji! Is this Zorax or Obama talking here? :D

I only joined this fourm to have an angry rant at all of you about the ICC deciding that the full members were to be the only ones to be allowed to take part at the next world cup. Having read the comments however I have to apologizes for my rashness and say thanks for the support. however I must still say that this decision is appalling, mean-spirited and the complete antipodal of sportsmanship. Is sportsmanship not supposed to be what ever cricket player prides himself on. This is not about making the next world cup more entertaining its about eliminating any threat to a closed shop. England are more than happy to damage Irish cricket at any opportunity and continue to pick off our best players and the weaker test nations have seen Ireland improve to be in a position to threaten them. They know that if Ireland are allowed to do this others in time will follow. There are loads of alternatives could have gone to 16 teams and make it 4 groups, that would make it nice and short. Or seeded qualifying for everyone, if ICC are serious about expanding the interest in cricket then this is how they must go. But then we know they're not. Look I have to confess I'm not much of a cricket fan, It rugby I follow most, there may be even less teams in the world that could realistically win that world cup but at least we embrace all who love the sport and the coming world cup will be all the better for it. Anyway rant over sorry for the miss directed anger again and thanks for all the comments of support, but all the talk here will do no good unless there is active support for us and other associate nations on the ground in test countries.

Yeah but what can we do? Indian public won't really riot in front of BCCI HQ for you Irish (and they're in seventh heaven right now anyways). What is happening sucks. Ireland should be the one getting Test membership not Zimbabwe.

For now though, your team can save itself. Beat Pakistan in the upcoming 2-odi series (its not hard seriously :p), make it to at least the semis of the World T20. It would be heartbreaking to see more Irish being imported to England killing cricket further in Ireland, don't let that happen, keep fighting.

awful move. they should at least consider having 11 teams instead of 10. or why wait till 2019, have those last 2-3 spots opened in 2015 only.

There's nothing wrong with moving to 10 teams, the problem is that the 10 teams for the 2015 World Cup are already set in stone.

For the 2014 football World Cup the only team set in stone in Brazil, just because Spain is the best team in the world they still have to qualify.

It would make sence to do something like:

2 teams from Oceania qualifying (You would assume NZ and Oz)
4 teams from Asia qualifying ( (You would assume Ind, Pak, SL and Bng)
1 team from Africa qualifying (You would assume SA)
1 team from America qualifying (You would assume WI)
1 team from Europe qualifying (You would assume Eng)

And then have a playoff for the tenth spot, so something like:

3rd Oceania vs 2nd America
Winner of Oceania/America vs 2nd Europe
5th Asia vs 2nd Africa
Winners of Oceania/America/Europe vs winner of Asia/Africa

Or another way would be to just reset the rankings after every World Cup, then just pick the top ten teams off them so they actually mean something. Instead of this system ATM where Australia's on top, when they're clearly not the best ODI team in the world.

Again, I agree with the 10 team decision. Skill gap in cricket is wide unlike in football like War mentioned so there can be a lot of 1 sided games so 10 teams is fine. But the selection of those 10 teams is what's NOT fine. Nobody here can justify this and this question is not being asked from ICC and the backing boards.

Ahh good to see that amongst all the over-hyped rhetoric on this matter that somebody has seen the light.

But yes no doubt Ireland got a bad deal & as i mentioned earlier in the thread Zimbabwe certainly should not be guaranteed a spot (im not even sure why ICC is giving them back test status). They along with Ireland should play in some associate competition to gain the right for the final 1 spot for the 2015 cup.

All spots should be open for qualification if it's just 10 teams, barring the home side and the former champion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the basis of this decision is purely TV and the money they give, more so now someone has seen viewing figures backing this up.

The ICC is elitist, it picks its Test and ODI sides with a very difficult path to becoming one - Sri Lanka in 1981, Zimbabwe in 1992 and then Bangladesh in 2000 with none since.

I can think of a reason why Zimbabwe and Bangladesh were given the nod within the 10, two actually. One because Zimbabwe and Bangladesh are around the level of Ireland, many may argue otherwise, but point two is they can easily (in their minds and reality) just have Test nations as that is a predefined group whereas justifying including Ireland at one or t'other's expense would be subjective.

It may be justifying it that is stopping them moving away from said predefined group. I certainly don't think England influenced the ICC so they can poach Irish players :noway , that is heading towards paranoia

I've said for a long time cricket needs two or more tiers in ODIs and Tests so teams are playing others of the same level and to reduce fixtures. A lot of fans of Test countries come up with plenty of blocks, why they feel it shouldn't happen including a fear the Ashes may be jeopardised (noone said a series can't be played outside the leagues).

At the end of the day the Irish reaction, suggesting legal action, is almost as daft as the decision to reduce it to 10 teams. On what grounds could they win it at a court of law? Reduced revenue? I'm sorry, I'm going to sue the government because I don't like their policies, they'll tell me they are elected by the people and represent the people - no case. So with ICC the simple defence is they decide the format, what the Irish would actually be challenging is the ICC's right to determine the set up of cricket.

Someone mentioned Brazil re football, but didn't mention how Brazil selfishly changed the rules re World Cup qualification. They arrogantly wanted to qualify for a World Cup when they qualified automatically as holders, thus changing the rules. I say arrogantly because they knew they would qualify. Are Ireland now not trying to change the rules to their own ends? I see England getting stick for the decision, I would imagine India carry more sway with the ICC, Sharad Pawar being the president and Haroon Lorgat being CEO.

ICC Ten Year Plan

This is a plan designed to make all countries play each other for Test cricket over a period of ten years, and was approved in February 2001 by the ICC member countries. Starting from 2002 and running until 2011, it ensures that each Test country will play the other nine home and away over a period of ten years, in addition to any matches the individual cricket boards organise on their own. Thus, India and Pakistan played 12 ODIs and 6 Tests against each other in their respective countries (not including neutral ground ODI tournaments such as the Asia Cup) from 2004 to April 2005, and played a further series of 3 Tests and 5 ODIs in the winter of 2006. However, because of the rigorous schedule of the Ten Year Plan, there is hardly any time left over to schedule other series, and there have been voices criticising the amount of international cricket that is played [1], with the risk of injury and player burnout as reasons for why this amount should be reduced. The ICC have defended their policy, citing the number of international players in English county cricket as a sign that there is not too much cricket for the players.[2]

Structure of international cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read that and tell me why you think there is a problem, but because of ONE announcement regarding ONE World Cup there is huge hoo ha and yet this is not new, is it suddenly the Irish bandwagon rolling into town. Either call for the ICC to change everything or leave it to the ICC, let's not go for selective changes because we want to see one team at a World Cup at the expense of another.

This post can be summarized into one word - NOISE!

Your argument ends there. You have no say in this. You're one of those 'elites' who wants cricket to remain within your own little circle for God knows what reason. Just like the ICC, you have no desire in opening your doors to the outside world, to spreading cricket around or to let outsiders to join your little band. The group that thinks 'You're either English, Australian, Subcontinental, South African or West Indian if you want to play cricket. Otherwise, we don't want you as a part of our group sorry.'

HA actually the portion that you quoted was a only typo in that post. It should read "Although id admit im not too fussed about the game spread - not because i dont want it to". So basically you wasted a entire post screaming based on an error - you must be exhausted :lol

In the rest of post i clearly went onto highlight why i have no elitist mentality nor does the ICC. But myself as a die-hard fan & the ICC board are concerned about the progress of the minnows - but are still very much open to news teams coming in once they progress as fast as Sri Lanka did.

quote said:
But quite clearly unlike other sports i.e football cricket is a game that really takes long for most teams in history to grasp & master. Every team for example since test cricket began in 1876 took at least 20+ years to become a seriously competitive test nation up until Sri Lanka in the mid 1990s. Zimbabwe where going well up between 1992-1999 then went completely backwards & Bangladesh looks to be following them (although enthusiasm for cricket in that nation is clearly very strong).

So the ICC are within its rights to be concerned about this try & keep the 50 over world cup as competitive as possible. Plus cricket is lucky also that its unique compared to other sports that is has the T20 format. Thus making the decision a fair trade-off for the associates - so i dont see the big deal.

If T20 never came about, the ICC would have just left things how it was most likely

That's the same logic that will lead to the death of cricket, an irrational fear of letting outsiders have a role in the sport. Excuses like 'it's too long', 'minnows aren't good enough', 'they don't understand the history' are all rubbish. Spread it by T20, Ireland beat England, and what does history have to do with enjoying a sport.

The fact is that the ICC has just closed the door on the entire planet that isn't already a Test-Playing nation with this statement. Cricket fans and players in non-test nations now have nothing to aim for. They couldn't play Tests before, fine, but there was always a World Cup where they finally, for one time in 4 years they get to rub shoulders with the big boys and represent their nation in the sport they love, at the highest level.

You are confused. At the end of the day the world-cup is not the pinnacle to which the ICC & fans (most fans, apparently you are not one of them) want the minnows/new teams to aim for - it is eventually to play test cricket. The world cup is just a stepping stone.

Since the 1975 world cup, as i articulated above SRI & ZIM (1992-999) have moved slowly through the process:

- They appeared in world cups

- The ICC (the MCC before) then granted them test status for various reasons i.e country enthusiasm, player performances etc

- They became competitive test nations

The process however since ZIM decline after their 99 world cup performance & Bangladesh's disgraceful entry to test cricket (although passion for cricket in BANG is as strong as anywhere in the world) - has taken a backward step in the last decade. Thus ICC is in its rights to re-evaluate the 50 over world-cup.

But seriously, what's the point now? Why should they even play cricket? What good will all their efforts and dedication come to if they are never going to get a chance to show their skills at the biggest stage of them all? It's not like they're earning a good living from this. And it's not like their nations care if they're playing cricket - without a WC cricket is meaningless in Canada, Ireland, Netherlands. And don't you dare bring up T20 - I challenge you to find ONE cricketer on this planet who will recognise that as a proper form of the sport and choose to represent their nation in it over ODIs.

Dear god. They will still have the T20 world-cup to as i already said to be on the world stage & cricket unlike any other sport will have the unique trend of two major limited over cups. Cant you see how great that will be?. Geez you not very open minded i see.

On your T20 point. Although i myself have always maintained T20 cricket doesn't test a cricketers skills properly like test cricket or 50 over cricket. Fact is T20 is the best format of the game to use to spread cricket global if you want to make more countries interested in the game given its short time span. Since for years the one of great obstacles of spreading cricket in an age where most sports finish in couple hrs its its time span - most sports fans want something fast. Plus again it gives associates a better chance of causing more upsets agai ts the big boys. So eventually i see no reasons why cricketers wont view winning a T20 world cup just as highly as 50 over cup.

Then if they impress enough in the T20 cups & people within country seem to be catching on. Then we can groom them back into the 50 over cup & then test cricket which is the ultimate goal. Very simple & uncomplicated stuff.

The ICC has just killed the ambitions of thousands, if not millions, of cricket fans and players around the world with one clean swipe.

Please, spare me the drama. Fact is regardless of how much the ICC try cricket is hard game to spread, its very complicated & long.

Try explaining the LBW law to an red-neck American from Texas or Brazilian in Rio & you will see what im talking about. Although the rise of T20 cricket gives it renewed hope.

The only team sport that is consistently growing in all corners of the globe is football. Other popular sports like Rugby, Tennis, Hockey (ice & field), Basketball, Athletics, Golf like cricket has its "groups" that aren't growing much.

Then of course you have sports that are popular within one countries ie America with NFL & Baseball & Australia with Rules football.

So what the ICC has done here wont kill cricket one bit. The only logical way cricket could die is if Indians wake up 2moro & say they hate cricket.

You know what's embarassing? We claim cricket is the second most followed sport on the Planet, it's spreading, it's growing. Absolute bullshit. My friends from France and Spain had never even heard of cricket before coming to UST. Hong Kong locals have no clue how the sport works. Which sports do they know? Hockey. Volleyball. Tennis. Basketball. All sports supposedly lower on the rung than Cricket.

The notion that cricket is the second most followed sport on the planet is very true i would think. That is said because with India having 1 Billion people in which basically everyone loves cricket, sports analyst by default give cricket the edge for numbers of people who follow cricket compared to others. But if you talking about popularity wise after football which is the world game, its highly debatable IMO which is the 2nd most popular sport in the world between cricket, basketball, athletics (track & field), rugby.

This is a joke. Cricket is still not yet an international sport, and if the ICC is going to continue like this, it will never be. It'll continue to be an ancient colonial past-time, open to only a small exclusive group with no new members welcome. A club that you can only join if you were born into it, or adopt the nationality of one of the nations that are welcome.

Frankly this is utter and complete rubbish and exactly why cricket is dying.

See above.

----------

Ye i already said Ireland got a raw deal technically.

er, they beat bangladesh, that is their only victory of note.

ireland beat 1 test nation. west indies beat 1 test nation. and tbh it's always the same with the windies. they haven't beaten one of the top 8 in over a year. that means everything. even ireland and bangladesh have managed that. no more excuses for windies cricket, they were hammered like an associate by pakistan and south africa.

Ok and your point is?.

A typo, sure, how convenient :rolleyes

I've read through that awful post and you've not addressed the issue at all but have basically brought up irrelevant points in order to make yourself look smart.

How fast the teams progress doesn't matter. What matters is that they have a chance to compete at the WORLD cup. The biggest even in the Cricket Calendar, which is watched by billions of fans, including many, many who would not have seen a game of cricket before because it's their country taking part in a Global tournament. Trust me, I know. And that's why it's a big deal to all players involved, it is why Jacob Oram was willing to cut his finger off to play in the WC if he had to, it is why Sangakarra stepped down to allow a new captain to mould the side by 2015, and it is literally one of the proudest moments of a player's life - to play the World Cup. This is the pinnacle of the sport. It is not just a 'stepping stone'. That's garbage. The fact that you even think that reflects how little you know about the sport and life in general.

And it doesn't matter if T20 is the best way to globalize the sport or not. No one cares. That's not what we're discussing.

What the players care about is playing Proper cricket against the Top 10. The World Cup. It's the dream of every associate player. You just calmly ignore this fact.

And FFS you first say T20 is not a proper representation of skills and then you say that if they impress in T20 they can play ODIs? WTF? Can you not see your logical flaw there? Let me spell it out for you. Good at T20 is NOT = Good at ODIs. There is no guarantee you will see an improvement in minnow's performances at World Cups if they first played a ████ load of T20s beforehand.

It's just as flawed as the logic of handing out Test spots to teams based on ODIs - which is not what happened to Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. All three of them were consistently good in ICC competitions for associate nations, had solid FC structures in place, and did well in their international outings. Like I said, your point is totally irrelevant.

Yes cricket is hard to spread. Explain to me how this move is going to make it any easier.
"Oh here, we have this new sport we want you to learn. It's long and complicated. However, your nation is never going to compete at our World Cup, so there really is no point for you to become good at it' :rolleyes Real smart.

And the LBW law is the same in T20 and ODIs, by the way. If you can explain it one format you sure can explain it in another. Classic War, making no sense.

And you follow that with even more rubbish; how is what sports are rising where anyways relevant to what we are talking about here? It isn't. It's fact that cricket is DYING in all those nations - thats all we need to know. Cricket isn't growing, shutting nations out from the World Cup is in no way fathomable going to help it spread.

Last edited:
Owzat, I would agree, but my point would be that the line you can start drawing minnow performances doesn't start at 10 in reality. Although the ICC is trying to tell us it does because that's how many full members they have.

there are 7 competitive teams in cricket. to automatically award the remaining 3 spots to the windies, zimbabwe and bangladesh seems completely unfair as there is nothing in any of those teams results that put them way in front of ireland. as angy says, it's about power. Those are the 10 teams that have most influence and financially, the big teams are only interested in playing teams that draw revenue and those 3 weaker teams are quite happy to support a system that favours them exclusively over their closest rivals. it would be incredibly cynical but it's possible even england support keeping ireland down in order to plunder what is looking like an increasingly rich talent base for them.

they trumpet the need for development and simultaneously have made cricket a closed shop.

Stop. Regardless of how much windies have declined in the last 15 years it is utter disrespect to them to suggest just because of that - they should have an automatic world cup spot along with ZIM & BANG (since i agree the ICC have given BANG again too much leverage, since id let them battle to qualify for the 50 over cup as well). Their previous 50 years of being seriously competitive will always override that.

Windies have managed to win the 2004 champions tropy & reached the 2006 final as well in case you forgot in that time period.

On your Ireland point. I wouldn't even begin to think realistically or cynically that England would consider Ireland an "increasing strong talent pool" that would be producing Morgan type talented players every other year from now on at all, at least not yet. Since it is very likely given that cricket is not all the popular in Ireland this crop of players may be the best group of Irish cricketer they will produce for years - then they could decline dramatically like Zimbabwe post 99 world cup.

Windies have managed to win the 2004 champions tropy & reached the 2006 final as well in case you forgot in that time period.
What time period? The last year? Because that's what Stinky's talking about. Stop talking nonsense.

Ok and your point is?.
His point is WI, BD and Zim have performed just as well as Ireland have in global competitions for the last year, and giving them an easy ride into the next WC and excluding Ireland simply because they are Test nations makes no sense.

Also, only one European side lost by 10 wickets this WC - and it wasn't Netherlands or Ireland (I stole this off CW, before anyone jumps on me for it)

Last edited by a moderator:
HA..god is love Zorax (no homo)

I'm sorry, why are you still posting? Didn't I make it clear no one wants your opinions on this?

More like you dont want my opinion on this, but since you have no authority on this website, i will take great enjoyment in restating my position until your head explodes.

Also in case you didn't two other posters in this thread have also shared my position agreeing & seeing the sense behind what the ICC has done:

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/2091347-post40.html

quote said:
Again, I agree with the 10 team decision. Skill gap in cricket is wide unlike in football like War mentioned so there can be a lot of 1 sided games so 10 teams is fine. But the selection of those 10 teams is what's NOT fine. Nobody here can justify this and this question is not being asked from ICC and the backing boards.

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/2090652-post18.html

A typo, sure, how convenient :rolleyes

Yes it was a typo a very small typo that i reckon most sane people would have realized. But of course you are different, thus you wasted a whole posted arguing off of it. So it was actually very inconvenient to you, since you probably had something better to do at the time.

I've read through that awful post and you've not addressed the issue at all but have basically brought up irrelevant points in order to make yourself look smart.

Ok well what is the issue then?.

Plus no i dont try to make myself look anyway. I just post..

How fast the teams progress doesn't matter. What matters is that they have a chance to compete at the WORLD cup. The biggest even in the Cricket Calendar, which is watched by billions of fans, including many, many who would not have seen a game of cricket before because it's their country taking part in a Global tournament. Trust me, I know. And that's why it's a big deal to all players involved, it is why Jacob Oram was willing to cut his finger off to play in the WC if he had to, it is why Sangakarra stepped down to allow a new captain to mould the side by 2015, and it is literally one of the proudest moments of a player's life - to play the World Cup. This is the pinnacle of the sport. It is not just a 'stepping stone'. That's garbage. The fact that you even think that reflects how little you know about the sport and life in general.

I said the world cup is a stepping stone for the associate nations in their eventually path to play test cricket. I did not say it is a stepping stone for major top 8 nations, so your points about Oram & Sangakkara are totally irrelevant. Plus i reckon Oram if he still playing well, for the 2012 T20 world-cup if faced with the same situation would risk cutting off his finger to win a a major cup for new zealand in that format. Since although the 50 over cup is more of the pinnacle limited over cup given its been around longer - i can certainly see the T20 gaining similar prestige in the coming years.

Its ridiculous to suggest that how fast the minnows progress is not important. Yet at the same time, you are crying fowl that this decision from the ICC will kill cricket chances of being global - stunning contradiction!. Are you telling me then, that you would rather have future 50 over world-cups in which the minnows continuously get smashed (the odd cup upset aside). But if they continue to show no sign of progress that they may be good enough to play test cricket eventually at a fast enough rate or at all. That doesn't matter as long as they get a chance to regularly appear in this specific 50 over world cup??.

And it doesn't matter if T20 is the best way to globalize the sport or not. No one cares. That's not what we're discussing.

You may not care - but what you care about is not important. T20 begin the better or best way to globalizing is very relevant to this discussion, since you are the one leading the charge that this decision by the ICC to shut minnows out of the 50 over cup will kill the ambitions of the minnows & thus reduce cricket to being a colonial past time (i love this ha).

What the players care about is playing Proper cricket against the Top 10. The World Cup. It's the dream of every associate player. You just calmly ignore this fact.

They will continue to get that chance in the T20 format. Somehow you are failing to grasp this.

And FFS you first say T20 is not a proper representation of skills and then you say that if they impress in T20 they can play ODIs? WTF? Can you not see your logical flaw there? Let me spell it out for you. Good at T20 is NOT = Good at ODIs. There is no guarantee you will see an improvement in minnow's performances at World Cups if they first played a ████ load of T20s beforehand.

Ha love the condescending & horridly rude nature of this post. :thumbs. Its just an idea i put out their, wasn't suggesting it is the ultimate solution & im very open to having a sane respectable discussion about the suggestion - instead of these kinda of rude posting from yours truly. But i'll continue anyway ha..

Their was no guaranteed that Sri Lanka would be good a test cricket after 25 years after performances in world cups, for the same reasons. It is indeed a risk given being good in one-format does not guaranteed a player/team will translate that across formats - but its certainly not impossible & it tends to happen alot.

If minnows do well enough in the T20 cup, maybe you could have them play in few ODI series before the world cup with the big 8 nations in the 4 year period between tournaments - if one is so skeptical about them translating performance across formats.

Yes cricket is hard to spread. Explain to me how this move is going to make it any easier.

"Oh here, we have this new sport we want you to learn. It's long and complicated. However, your nation is never going to compete at our World Cup, so there really is no point for you to become good at it' :rolleyes Real smart.

Thats your logic. Not the ICCs - so try not to further confuse yourself.

And the LBW law is the same in T20 and ODIs, by the way. If you can explain it one format you sure can explain it in another. Classic War, making no sense.

Classic Zorax, failing to follow the basic fundamentals of comprehension.

I never questioned whether the LBW is the same across all formats - thats is obvious. I am saying the law is very complicated to understand for some new fans in countries like America (which ICC has been trying to promote cricket in for the longest while) & Brazil who are accustomed to more simpler things & already have other sports they crave.

A football fan for eg only has the off-side rule to comprehend. Otherwise the game is fairly straight-forward & why it grows faster than any other sport on the planet.

Other major sports like Basketball, Hockey, Rugby, Tennis, Baseball im sure has its own LBW type rule which if you are not a long time follower of those sports, you probably would take a while to grasp. The complicated rules issue is not unique to cricket & is one of main reasons many sports unlike football dont grow fast enough.

And you follow that with even more rubbish; how is what sports are rising where anyways relevant to what we are talking about here? It isn't. It's fact that cricket is DYING in all those nations - thats all we need to know. Cricket isn't growing, shutting nations out from the World Cup is in no way fathomable going to help it spread.

You seem to suffering from early stages of Alzheimers - such a pitty since you are so young.

You are one screaming that cricket is dying & will not grow. Im showing you that other major team sports except for football, all are in the same boat when it comes to having a small group of competitive nations that play the sport & they all have issues with gaining new members that become competitive quickly enough compared to football. But they are all trying in some way to find the best way to get new nations playing competitively at a fast enough rate.

Since unlike your crazy assertion that how fast minnows progress isn't important. Sports governing bodies certainly do want fast enough progress.

Seriously War, just STFU.

Im quite enjoying getting you pissed actually. Im currently preparing my popcorn in anticipation of your temper escalating even further - this is pay-per view stuff. :lol

----------

What time period? The last year? Because that's what Stinky's talking about. Stop talking nonsense.

Ok well he made no mention of the last year in that post. So hopefully your mind reading is correct.

His point is WI, BD and Zim have performed just as well as Ireland have in global competitions for the last year, and giving them an easy ride into the next WC and excluding Ireland simply because they are Test nations makes no sense.

So (with regards to the windies). Cant group them with ZIM or BANG regardless of how poorly they have performed in global competitions in the last year - they are better than that. Let Ireland play windies in a 5 match ODI series next week & watch windies blackwash them, then ill be looking for you Ireland lovers.

In this world cup given the amount of players injured a quarter final place for windies was as far as many expected from them & if those main players where fit they could have won those close games vs IND & ENG. Only if Windies had gone out in the 1st round then one could have complained.

You guys are simply trolling the non west indian contigent here on planet cricket. Wait till poster Dare hears this.

----------

Someone mentioned Brazil re football, but didn't mention how Brazil selfishly changed the rules re World Cup qualification. They arrogantly wanted to qualify for a World Cup when they qualified automatically as holders, thus changing the rules. I say arrogantly because they knew they would qualify.

:lol Dont let my friends in the football section of planetcricket here this sir, since this is horribly inaccurate.

Brazil did nothing of the sort. The simple reason why holders have to join the qualifying campaign to defend their crown instead have an automatic birth was to address the issue of the returning champions being at a disadvantage to their fellow competitors due to having not played a competitive match in the previous two years. The problem was amply demonstrated at the 2002 FIFA World Cup as France crashed out in the 1st round.

FIFA made this decision around 2001/02 - not Brazil sir.

BBC SPORT | WORLD CUP 2002? | Fifa makes major policy shift

----------

Had to laugh at Bangladesh having an inquest into their World Cup failure yet England don't seem to be having one! No doubt they've already made their minds up it was the loss of Pietersen and Broad, bad luck, a long Ashes tour and a whole host of other feeble excuses. You don't lose a QF by 10 wickets if there isn't a problem, you don't lose to Bangladesh and Ireland if there isn't a problem.

Never mind eh, always next time, except with it being much tougher and no Holland's to just about beat, England may struggle even more as I'm sure selection policy won't change, we'll keep picking Test players, inexperienced players and T20I level players

I would say those where the the reasons for England bad performance in this world cup. Since the 2002/03 Ashes tour its been increasingly evident that playing the cup after such a long tour really hampers England's progress & performances. Which is why the ECB has now stopped this from occurring in the future.

But even if England had a fully fit KP & Broad they still would have lost heavily to Sri Lanka IMO (although they may or may not have lost to Ireland or BANG, since upsets do happen in almost every world cup since 1983), ENG ODI is not great, its solid & its has certain limitationS (lack of a 90 mph quick bowler like other teams) that even at full-strength in Sri Lankan conditions they would have still gotten a trashing.

I do agree however that our ODI selection tendencies can be improved, since ENG always pick alot of test players who are clearly not suited for ODIs and useles bits of pieces all-rounders.

Last edited:
Stop. Regardless of how much windies have declined in the last 15 years it is utter disrespect to them to suggest just because of that - they should have an automatic world cup spot along with ZIM & BANG (since i agree the ICC have given BANG again too much leverage, since id let them battle to qualify for the 50 over cup as well). Their previous 50 years of being seriously competitive will always override that.

On your Ireland point. I wouldn't even begin to think realistically or cynically that England would consider Ireland an "increasing strong talent pool" that would be producing Morgan type talented players every other year from now on at all, at least not yet. Since it is very likely given that cricket is not all the popular in Ireland this crop of players may be the best group of Irish cricketer they will produce for years - then they could decline dramatically like Zimbabwe post 99 world cup.

exactly sums up your attitude. You think we should be rewarding teams out of respect and tradition. If teams don't put out competitive teams, which the windies have not now, for about 2 years, why should they be given the financial benefits of a world cup spot over other teams.

the windies were not competitive going into this world cup, they were not competitive at this world cup. If reducing the world cup to 10 teams is aimed at increasing comepition then the automatic inclusion of the windies makes no sense. you want to see cricket run into the ground, continue to let under-performing teams live on past glories. 2006 and was TWO world cups ago, and is irrelevant now.

and well, it's already known England are interested in Dockrell seeing as Rashid is going nowhere. Of course, the point is they are keeping the ireland team down NOW, not in the future so they can pick at imaginery talent. If ireland are kept out of the world cup 2015, it's almost a given Paul Stirling and Dockrell will make themselves available to england at the earliest possible opportunity. suits england fine I think.

My theory is that no associate nation will get automagically better without playing the Test playing nations on a regular basis. Kenya is a prime example. They desperately need competitive cricket with the top nations (or at least their A-teams) each and every year, not just World Cups. Their current decline is precisely due to the fact that they have no goals to achieve or no reachable target in mind. AND it's for the ICC to provide a target or a realistic goal for these fledgling cricketing nations.

Sure they'll get walloped on many occasions initially by playing top teams, but then just to avoid embarrassment of defeats they will either have to give up cricket or go all out to improve themselves and in the process their domestic structure (or create one).

I believe that there is nothing like throwing associate nations into the deep end of the pool and seeing how they do and how far they go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Survival of the best associate nations will drastically improve their quality and improve the "global" nature of the sport.

The ICC's current policy is focussed on the $$$-signs and not the good of the game or its spread to other nations.

There's simply no shortcut formula. It'll take years of hard work and passion. I don't believe we lose anything by giving associate nations a chance to compete at the highest level and I believe it shouldn't be just the World Cup. There should be a place for them in the FTP. Sadly the ICC sees any reduction in the number of matches of the money-spinners of the game as a threat to their short-term profits.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread