Story ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 in the West Indies [ICC06]

Wicket commentary

World Cup - 2nd semi-final: West Indies v India at St Lucia, May 17, 2007

Scorecard - Commentary - Wickets - Partnerships - Wagon wheels - Player v player - Over comparison - Over graphs - Career averages - Match home - Bulletin - Article index (2) - Photo index (15)

Filtered commentary - All wickets

23.1 Smith to Sehwag, OUT, Talk about a great bowling change! Smith straight into the attack and puts it just short of a length, Sehwag with little foot movement plays and misses as the ball nips back in and clips the top of middle stumps, enough to dislodge the bails. Much needed wicket for the Windies, the dangerous Sehwag departs to a great piece of bowling.

V Sehwag b Smith 70 (88m 79b 12x4 0x6) SR: 88.60

32.6 Nurse to Tendulkar, OUT, That's th big wicket! Just as Sachin looked to be getting started, Nurse puts the ball on an off stump line, balls nips away and Tendulkar follows, edge carries to fist slip and Gayle takes a comfortable catch. Big wicket for the Windies who can't allow India too many wickets in hand at the end.

SR Tendulkar c Gayle b Nurse 17 (37m 30b 2x4 0x6) SR: 56.66

41.5 Mohammed to Yuvraj, OUT, The captain departs! Beautiful thinking by Mohammed who has struggled on a pitch that has done nothing for his left-arm wristspinners, pitches up the googly at around 97 km/h, ball moves a little back into the left hander who is totally decieved, Yuvraj hits against the spin straight to Nurse at long-off.

Yuvraj Singh c Nurse b Mohammed 14 (31m 26b 2x4 0x6) SR: 53.83

44.3 Hinds to Gambhir, OUT, Slowly but surely India are losing the wickets in hand advantage they'd like to have had, Hinds comes from over the wicket and darts it in at Gambhir, the left hander misjudges the pace of the ball and rocks back to play the late cut only for the ball to skid back in and hit middle stump around half way up. Beautiful bowling by Hinds who is now making the most out of changes in pace, and the Indians have lost their fourth!

G Gambhir b Hinds 8 (9m 8b 2x4 0x6) SR: 100.57

45.4 Smith to Dhoni, OUT, Oh dear! This is big trouble for India now, the big hitting Dhoni continues his poor form which sees his average drop to just 21.33 for the tournament. Smith digs this one in very short and gets it to rise to Dhoni's chin (which is no mean feat, might I add), Dhoni attempts a pull shot but is too late as he gets a genuine top edge which fies high, Baugh waits underneath it and takes a simple catch, India are five down and into the tail!

MS Dhoni c Baugh b Smith 5 (3m 5b 1x4 0x6) SR: 100.00

45.5 Smith to Sharma, OUT, No, no, no. That just won't do. Ugly stuff from Sharma as he gets a good yorker from Smith, hardly something he couldn't have dug out or pushed away for a single, he instead decides to play an ambitious hoick over midwicket, missing the ball completely and Smith is on a hat trick! Madness from Sharma, needed to stay around with Jadhav, particularly with the four batsmen to come, instead he chooses a poor option and pays the price!

Joginder Sharma b Smith 0 (1m 1b 0x4 0x6) 0.00

46.2 Hinds to Harbhajan, OUT, Goddim! Dheeraj Jadhav must be tearing his hair out at the other end! Stock delivery from around the wicket from Hinds, ball follows the arm on a middle stump line, Harbhajan attempts to sweep but misses by a mile as this skids on again from Hinds, India lose another as this collapse reaches epic proportions!

Harbhajan Singh b Hinds 3 (1m 3b 0x4 0x6) SR: 100.00

46.4 Hinds to Kumble, OUT, And Hinds gets his man! After his first ball to Kumble was turned down for lbw, he tosses this up and Anil goes for the wild slog, ball hangs in the air but eventually comes down well short of the boundary and Gayle takes a simple catch. The shot was there to play, Kumble was just unable to get onto it and India are digging their grave deeper.

A Kumble c Gayle b Hinds 0 (1m 2b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

47.4 Smith to Gagandeep, OUT, BANG! Perfect ball, yorker which swings back into Gagandeep a bit, he's nowhere near good enough to dig that out and it crashes into leg stump, that's the end of that.

Gagandeep Singh b Smith 0 (3m 3b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

47.5 Smith to Maniar, OUT, BANG! BANG! Oh dear, that ends the innings, ball angling in at Maniar's legs who moves to the off side, misses a leg glance and it clean bowled first nut.

SM Maniar b Smith 0 (1m 1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

6.6 Gagandeep to Ganga, OUT, First wicket for the Windies! Ball is full and around off stump, late swing from Gagandeep has Ganga all over the shop and he is wrapped on the pads. Umpire Simon Taufel thinks about it for a bit, and then gives Ganga his marching orders, Hawkeye agrees with the Australia, saying the ball was hitting middle and leg half way up.

S Ganga lbw b Gagandeep 32 (27m 28b 5x4 0x6) SR: 114.20

9.6 Gagandeep to Lara, OUT, Huuge wicket! Bowling from around the wicket, Gagandeep puts this just short of a length but on a better line than the one that was square cut for four earlier, Lara tries the same shot but is cramped for room and gets a bottom edge and chops it on! That is a huge breakthrough for the Indians in this World Cup semi-final!

BC Lara b Gagandeep 6 (7m 6b 1x4 0x6) SR: 100.00

17.4 Sharma to Chanderpaul, OUT, Gone! A resiliant knock from Chanderpaul ends abruptly as Sharma snares him! Ball it pitched up on middle stump, Chanderpaul defends deadbat, but this swings away from the left hander and takes out off stump, Chanderpaul looks perplexed by how late that ball swung and walks off several moments after his dismissal as the Indians celebrate their third wicket.

S Chanderpaul b Sharma 13 (31m 27b 2x4 0x6) SR: 48.14

21.5 Gagandeep to Sarwan, OUT, That's a blinder! The West Indians continue their inability to cover off stump as he misses a ball that is pitched on a good length on a fourth stump line, ball comes back in and Sarwan shoulders arms, only to hear the death rattle! Gagandeep is fast becoming the star of this semi-final with his third wicket, and the Windies now find themselves in some trouble. Great bowling.

RR Sarwan b Gagandeep 11 (15m 20b 1x4 0x6) SR: 54.98

29.1 Gagandeep to Hinds, OUT, Gagandeep has this ball on a string here, this match is now VERY interesting, from around the wicket, Gagandeep pitches this up and it goes with the arm, Hinds completely misses this one, still worried about the seam movement evident in the pitch, the Windies slump to 5-156 as the Indians mob Gagandeep.

RO Hinds b Gagandeep 16 (27m 21b 3x4 0x6) SR: 76.17

41.4 Harbhajan to Gayle, OUT, Good stand comes to an end here, possibly one that could put them in the final. Harbhajan tosses this wide outside off and Gayle obliges by swinging as hard as he can, thick top edge flies all the way to Sandeep Maniar at third man, and the Indians are back with a sniff.

CH Gayle c Maniar b Harbhajan 100 (157m 123b 14x4 0x6) SR: 81.30

47.4 Harbhajan to Bravo, OUT, Harbhajan gets the much needed breakthrough again as Bravo has a brainfade and falls so close to the target, six runs in fact. After not spinning a ball significantly all day, Bhaji tosses this up outside off stump, Bravo attempts a drive but this really turns sharply and smacks into off stump, Harbhajan goes for a celebratory run around the pitch while Bravo trudges off.

DJJ Bravo b Harbhajan 18 (24m 23b 3x4 0x6) SR: 78.25

48.2 Sharma to Baugh, OUT, Big wicket coming from a gutsy move from Sharma. Drops this short and at Baugh's body, Carlton goes to hit the winning boundary but can't control his pull shot, the top edgey shot goes straight up and down and Jadhav takes a smart catch at square leg! Is there a chance? Is there a chance? You bet there is!.

CO Baugh c Jadhav b Sharma 25 (73m 48b 3x4 0x6) SR: 52.08

48.3 Sharma to Mohammed, OUT, OH HO HO! Fielding change from Yuvraj works! Tendulkar at first slip takes one of the most important catches of his career as Sharma puts it on a good length and nips it away from Mohammed, Mohammed fends at the ball outside off stumps but Sharma has found the edge, ball travels to Sachin's left side, and he takes a very sharp catch. Four runs, one wicket, do we have the greatest ever World Cup game?

D Mohammed c Tendulkar b Sharma 0 (1m 1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

----

Last edited:
header-wc2007_296x85b.jpg

ICC Reveal World Cup Final Schedule

In a statement issued by ICC president Malcolm Speed, "Stephen Bucknor will assume the position as on field umpire for the ICC 2007 World Cup final, despite his nationality. The ICC 2007 World Cup final is to be umpired by the four umpires and refereed by the referee we deem the best on the council, regardless of nationality."

Final
Australia v West Indies: 20 May 2007 @ Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados

66789.1.jpg

Umpire: RE (Rudi) Koertzen (RSA)
66791.1.jpg

Umpire: SA (Stephen) Bucknor (WI)
66790.1.jpg

TV Umpire: SJA (Simon) Taufel (Aus)
66775.1.jpg

4th Umpire: Aleem Dar (Pak)
66787.1.jpg

Match Referee: RS (Ranjan) Madagulle (Ind)

----

'The loss was the lowest point of my career' - Dravid
Dravid reveals pain of semi-final loss
Anand Vasu in St Lucia
May 18, 2007

68383.jpg

Injured Indian superstar, Rahul Dravid, today labelled the semi-final loss to the West Indies as the lowest point of his career. After making a matching winning 110* in his only match of the cup, the last of India's Super 8 fixturs against Australia, Dravid was cruely ruled out of the clash with the tournament hosts with a thigh strain.

As the Indians were set to return back home at the Guyanese airport, Dravid confronted media just the day after his side bowed out of the World Cup. "It was very hard for me to sit back and watch the guys lose when I knew there was nothing that I could do," an emotional Dravid said. "It was just disappointing that I was so close to playing, and in a game that was decided by just a few runs, it made it even more difficult to handle.

"If (the match) was going to be today, I would have played. I could have played yesterday, but the physios were not willing to take the risk considering how big the match was, but I don't hold any grudges about that, it was probably the right decision."

When asked if he held any untoward feelings about his exclusion from the preliminary matches, a normally unconfrontational Dravid replied, "I don't think anyone would be surprised if I was disappointed about not being included in the side because I believe I am good enough to play one day cricket, but what is done is done and we must now focus on our upcoming series.

"The loss was probably the lowest point of my career, it was harder than the last World Cup because this one was closer. You never like losing cricket matches, but they are not easy to take when it is so close and you think that you could have made a difference. This was a big tournament for us because we thought we could win and prove everyone who said we can't play in finals matches wrong."

Dravid's prediction for the final? "It will be very close, the West Indies have shown how good they are, and Australia have stepped it up a notch, but I think it is time for someone else to win, so I'll pick the West Indies."

Anand Vasu is assistant editor of Cricinfo

? Cricinfo

----

mate... its amazing presentation! :hpraise Lots of detailed efforts like Dravid's pain, umpire details etc.. u have put in! Also cric infor style of commentary! :clap Simply suprerb mate! Hope Windies win the grand finals :)

great work mate keep it going, will you do another series after this??

plympilgrim said:
great work mate keep it going, will you do another series after this??

I most definately will if I can find the ideal series to do.

I'd rather use ICC than Cricket 2007 because it is simply a better game.

I was thinking about doing a series using ICC2002 with the 2009 Ashes Series and what the possible squads may be, but we shall see.

'Its a dream come true' - Cullen
Boyhood dream finally realised
Anand Vasu in St Lucia
May 18, 2007

61681.jpg

It is every young Australian boy's dream to represent his nation in a winning World Cup side, and for one young man, his dream are coming true. 22 year-old South Australian Daniel Cullen, his dream is to be realised in this Sunday's World Cup final against the West Indies as he is set to be named ahead of South Australian team mate Shaun Tait and Western Warrior Brett Dorey.

With ten wickets at an average of less than 30, the blonde-haired off spinner will join what looks to be an unchanged Australian line-up, Cullen joins Phil Jaques, Shane Watson, Michael Clarke, Shaun Marsh and Nathan Bracken in his first World Cup final as Australia attempt to make it three championships in a row. His journey, however, hasn't been as calm as expected. After taking an appauling 1-75 from ten overs in the Super 8 match against the West Indies, Cullen thought his tournament was over, and he was destined to sit on the sidelines for however long Australia lasted.

"After that game against the Windies I had pretty much lost all confidence. It wasn't coming out right for me and a few of their guys, mostly Lara and Hinds, has a real go at me and it put me off my game a bit," a happy Cullen said at the Australian press conference today. "At that stage I thought to myself 'geez, I reckon I'm done for this tournament.'"

Luckily for Cullen the selectors gave him another chance in their final Super 8 match against India, as several key players were rested.

"(John Buchanan) sat down and had a long chat with me and said I was getting one last chance 'cause Binga (Brett Lee) and Bracks (Nathan Bracken) were being rested, so in the end I got a game. Buck really helped me here and gave me a bit of extra work in the nets and we sorted a few things out, so I was more confident heading into the game."

While Cullen didn't set the world on fire in Australia's loss against India, he returned with respectful figures of 0-33 from ten overs.

"I bowled pretty well, but this was a bit of a turning point for me, 'cause I was starting to think I was actually good enough to play at this level, and that's something every cricketer needs to achieve before they start playing at their best. I didn't think I'd done enough to get a game against Sri Lanka, but Buck sat down with me again and said that my game against India was enough to give me the edge over Taity and Hunky (Dorey)."

Coming into the semi-final, there were mixed feelings on Cullen's inclusion, but due to the spinning nature of the wicket, he got the nod and claimed 2-47, including the huge wickets of Sanath Jayasuriya and Thilan Samaraweera.

"It was a huge boost to pick up the guys I did. I had a big battle with Jayasuriya, and it was a great challenge to bowl to someone as good as he is. After the game he came up to me and congratulated me on my bowling which was a huge compliment as he's someone I've always respected."

Cullen then commented on how he'd approach the side that caused him so much trouble in the Super 8 stage.

"Bring it on!" a jovial Cullen said, "but in all seriousness, I think I'm stronger for the experience of that match, and this will just be another challenge. I think I've grown as a person since that game, so if they want to have a crack at me again, I reckon I'll be up to the challenge."

Anand Vasu is assistant editor of Cricinfo

? Cricinfo

----

2007 World Cup Final
The Australian record does not distract us
Brian Lara in Bridgetown
May 18, 2007

BCL.jpg

One thing is for sure - World Cup fever has well and truely hit the Carribean!

When we touched down in Barbados, I think some of the guys were absolutely stunned by the reaction we got, particularly at a time where West Indian cricket isn't at its finest.

Even with all my experience, I was truely excited by the reaction we got, so I can only imagine what some of the younger guys felt. The most pleasing thing is that cricket is now alive again in the Carribean.

However, while we remain confident heading into the final, we have to remember who we come up against. Australia are the world champions, are gunning for three in a row. They will be just as hungry as we are for the cup, and also have the experience in these cup finals.

We however have no players who have played in a World Cup final, and it is fair to say we have been blown off the floor by the Aussies in the DLF Cup and Champions Trophy finals.

But we remain confident. Australia are a huge challenge, but I believe we have the firepower to go with them. This is the best team the West Indies have put on the park in quite some time, and Australia's record in the finals doesn't faze us.

While we do have experience now in the final of big events, nothing will be able to prepare us for the atmosphere that we will experience when we head out onto the ground in two days time, but equally, the Australians with all their experience will be just as emotionally charged as we will be.

Throughout the last few days, people have been asking me if we can beat the almighty Aussies? My answer to everyone is the same: we can beat Australia if our whole team plays their best cricket.

Sunday's match is the biggest match in my career. It is the biggest match in the career of everyone in our team. But win or lose, West Indian cricket is back on the rise, and it is an exciting time to be a part of it!

Brian Lara is the leading test runscorer of all time, and a guest analyst for Cricinfo

? Cricinfo

----

Users who are viewing this thread