Wait...where's 2023 ODI WC :eek:

Have I been so out of loop?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Happy for South Africa 2027- interesting to note how Namibia has been a favoured association over Kenya. Good for them, let's see how well they perform in the lead up there.

In terms of the events- one per year is maddening. Ideally, the ICC CT needs to be done away with as it adds no value whatsoever. Originally, it was planned as the mini-World Cup. However, with the main World Cup itself shrining in size, the mere existence of this tournament comes under the scanner. As aforementioned, I would be happy if they expand it to a 16 team straight knockout tournament (much on the lines of those held in 1998 and 2000)

I was very surprised to see India hosting alternate World Cups. and ICC events every 2 years. Signs of the BCCI exerting its power here. Furthermore, with the Indian govt not amenable to reducing the tax on such events, expect ICC will have to take a cut in the revenues generated. What also surprises me is the manner in which the hosts have been chosen/ allocated. If its the sub-continent, have India host is alone or have the entire subcontinent do so. Joining forces with BD (2031) and SL (T20) sounds a bit amiss.

What I would have Liked:
1. CWC 2031 to have been hosted by an Associate Nation/ Group of nations completely. Say, UAE, Oman and Qatar OR Singapore + Malaysia+ Thailand OR Hong Kong+China

2. Scrap the ICC CT- replace with the ICC KO

3. New Zealand should have gotten one event all by itself.

4. Run the WWC, WT20 in parallel. They ran it parallelly for the last edition of the T20 World Cup 2016. It would be more interesting and a lot of marketing can be bullt around this.

What Concerns Me:
Remember that 2023 will also see the next Final of the WTC. I fear the concept hasn;t caught on that well and that it may soon be scrapped. The ICC press release does state that the hosts for U19, WWC and WTC will be revealed shortly. My bet - ICC will scrap the WTC soon.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Such a good read. I know cricket needs money and that is the root cause of all the problems in cricket as well but someone has to find a way to incorporate the Associate nations. Bigger nations must take the load of responsibility for cost sharing. More cricket needs to happen between the associate nations and test nations.

We need to get away from meaningless bi-lateral tournaments. For example the current India-New Zealand could easily have been a 4 team T20 tournament. India New Zealand, Nepal, Hong Kong for example. Any team visiting England for test series should have a tri series of sorts between visiting team, England and Scotland or Ireland. Teams visiting West Indies must play USA, Canada. Teams visiting Australia New Zealand must play PNG.

Even 1 match would help them and wont hurt the bigger nations.

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
Any team visiting England for test series should have a tri series of sorts between visiting team, England and Scotland or Ireland. Teams visiting West Indies must play USA, Canada. Teams visiting Australia New Zealand must play PNG.
Teams visiting India must play Bangladesh Sri Lanka Pakistan. Teams visiting Bangladesh must play India Sri Lanka Pakistan. Teams visiting Sri Lanka must play Bangladesh India Pakistan. Teams must visit Pakistan.

Users who are viewing this thread