ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

BCB's swinging is no surprise. They were always going to vote in favor of BCCI once their minuscule interest was secured. What they don't realize is that even though they would have their test status the Big-3 won't be playing much cricket with it if the draft passes, as they have minimal financial attraction. The Middle-3 (Pakistan, South Africa & Sri Lank) might also not show interest in them for the same reason along with other issues.

BCB's swinging is no surprise. They were always going to vote in favor of BCCI once their minuscule interest was secured. What they don't realize is that even though they would have their test status the Big-3 won't be playing much cricket with it if the draft passes, as they have minimal financial attraction. The Middle-3 (Pakistan, South Africa & Sri Lank) might also not show interest in them for the same reason along with other issues.

Spot on!

When this proposal goes through, which it will, cricket will cease being a global sport, not that it was a wide spread phenomenon in the first place. Cricket dies...soon.

Cricket | 'Big Three' commit to touring New Zealand... | Stuff.co.nz

Looks like we are all in on this, I'd be a bit weary about listening to their promises though. Whats going to stop India from saying they don't actually want to play us when they are supposed to tour here, I mean they will be running things after all. Interesting that it also says two more countries will be added to the executive committee, I'm guessing thats also why we've been in favour all along.

Looks like we are all in on this, I'd be a bit weary about listening to their promises though. Whats going to stop India from saying they don't actually want to play us when they are supposed to tour here, I mean they will be running things after all. Interesting that it also says two more countries will be added to the executive committee, I'm guessing thats also why we've been in favour all along.

Ye i'm skeptical by those statements by WICB & NZC executives, in which they are jumping to the sky about "the big three committing".

Yes team like WI/NZ/SA/PAK/SRI/BANG when they play each other don't make money from bilateral series & need ENG/AUS/IND series home/away to make money.

But obviously ENG/AUS/IND don't need to play those teams to make money. They make enough money by playing each other. Other than word's, there is really no guaranteed that teams teams will turn them as often as they hope.

----------

ICC revamp : 'Big Three were more likely to make progress' - Alan Isaac | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

quote said:
'Struggled to find Test Championship format'​

David Richardson, the ICC CEO, has said the inability to find a suitable format led to the World Test Championship failing to get off the ground.
"I think we were always struggling to find a format for WTC that could be completed within a relatively short space of time and that would not lead to more damage than good," Richardson said. "As we know draws are such an important part of Tests and you've seen numerous formats tried in various countries where you have a final for your domestic competitions and those finals always tend to be damp squibs really because one team is playing for a draw on first-innings lead."
Richardson said the lack of a Test Championship was not a setback for the format as the ICC's rankings were becoming significant. "If you look at it the way the board has looked at it now, we have the ranking system which is becoming more and more prominent, more and more people taking note of it, more teams are trying to end the year as No. 1 and earn the financial prize money that goes with that. There's prestige involved in being No. 1 and holding the mace."

Dave Richardson is quickly becoming the Michel Platini of world cricket. Player turned idiot executive....how in god's name is he seriously telling us that the ranking system is getting more prominence. THE RANKING SYSTEM ARE THE PROBLEM, because they are extremely faulty. That is why test cricket needed the test championship.

The fact that the ICC couldn't find a suitable format, shows their incompetence. :facepalm

THE RANKING SYSTEM ARE THE PROBLEM, because they are extremely faulty. That is why test cricket needed the test championship.

The fact that the ICC couldn't find a suitable format, shows their incompetence. :facepalm

It's not the ICC. It's the BCCI that wouldn't allow fixing the faulty ranking system. When he was leading the ICC Haroon Logart was criticized for giving into BCCI's pressure on the ranking system (now he must be cursing himself). If you fix the ranking systems India would not be anywhere near the Top 3 positions. If you hold Test Championship India would be exposed against other teams when playing on non-Indian pitches.

One needs to ask how India would fare against the pace (& spin) of teams like Australia, South Africa & Pakistan in tests on non-Indian pitches? I think BCCI is not willing to find the answer (so, alas, we won't know ... for a long time).

BCB promises Big Three series

BCB fell for that? :facepalm

Not realizing this means they only have a couple of years of test status left? The Big-3 would destroy them in test then never tour or invite them again. Good luck to BCB for charming the Middle-3 for future tours after what they have done. After couple of years ICC/Big-3 would reintroduce tier system & BCB would find itself sitting alone, opposite the Original-8.

Not sure how we can trust the BCCI when their game is pretty much run by illegal gambling.

England Cricket News: Surrey hope to bring ICC to London | ESPN Cricinfo

Who cares where they go, they won't do anything good for world cricket. The ICC is incompetent governing body - the worst in sports administration in the globe. India bullies them & they allowed the 3 three most power boards to take financial control of the game & potentially mess it up forever.

What the ICC needs is not a new administrative base - but new administrative overall to become a proper governing body. Cause their existence right now has no sense.

----------

It's not the ICC. It's the BCCI that wouldn't allow fixing the faulty ranking system. When he was leading the ICC Haroon Logart was criticized for giving into BCCI's pressure on the ranking system (now he must be cursing himself). If you fix the ranking systems India would not be anywhere near the Top 3 positions. If you hold Test Championship India would be exposed against other teams when playing on non-Indian pitches.

One needs to ask how India would fare against the pace (& spin) of teams like Australia, South Africa & Pakistan in tests on non-Indian pitches? I think BCCI is not willing to find the answer (so, alas, we won't know ... for a long time).

Well in this particularly issue, i don't think you can blame the BCCI for this or accuse them of manipulating anything in this regard. If you recall officially ranking system came out since around 2001, long before the BCCI financial influence had begun to manipulate things in world cricket.

Its the ICC who control the rankings & their incompetence and lack of understanding of world cricket (Dave Richardson's statement says it all really), gives the ranking system credibility.

BCB promises Big Three series

BCB fell for that? :facepalm

Not realizing this means they only have a couple of years of test status left? The Big-3 would destroy them in test then never tour or invite them again. Good luck to BCB for charming the Middle-3 for future tours after what they have done. After couple of years ICC/Big-3 would reintroduce tier system & BCB would find itself sitting alone, opposite the Original-8.

Wow, the BCB have been completely and utterly fooled. I'm guessing the big 3 will actually tour there in the next couple of years just as a sort of goodbye present and then get rid of them. I'm finding this all pretty hilarious now really, in the last few days they've done a complete u-turn on the original proposal and are promising things left, right and center. They themselves probably can't believe how easily they are fooling these boards.

Wow, the BCB have been completely and utterly fooled. I'm guessing the big 3 will actually tour there in the next couple of years just as a sort of goodbye present and then get rid of them. I'm finding this all pretty hilarious now really, in the last few days they've done a complete u-turn on the original proposal and are promising things left, right and center. They themselves probably can't believe how easily they are fooling these boards.

The way BD has performed in tests, especially in the most recent one against SL, I think they are better off playing ODI's & T20I's only.

Apart from BCB many of the boards have gone virtual bankrupt. Their only chance of making money is to play the Big-3. I think they have been less fool & more helpless against the BCCI, ECB, & CA.

Dave Richardson is quickly becoming the Michel Platini of world cricket. Player turned idiot executive....how in god's name is he seriously telling us that the ranking system is getting more prominence. THE RANKING SYSTEM ARE THE PROBLEM, because they are extremely faulty. That is why test cricket needed the test championship.

Lol, Platini - yes :yes

We've discussed this before about rankings - I don't think the rankings are perfect, but I do think they are better that what you think :p Anyway...will say this about the rankings system: when teams like Australia come out and say they are playing for the #1 ranking, that gives at least some credibility to the rankings system. If teams and officials support the rankings by their words, that will help sell to the public that the rankings mean something. Of course, if there was a Test championship Australia would come out and say they wanted to win that too...but it's a start, and Test cricket needs something to play for. Don't know how many times I've read 'what's the point of Test cricket' by uneducated white-ball lovers - teams stating their aims helps answer that question.

Oh but please for the love of god scrap the T20 rankings quick smart, they are useless without more frequent series.

Lol, Platini - yes :yes

We've discussed this before about rankings - I don't think the rankings are perfect, but I do think they are better that what you think :p Anyway...will say this about the rankings system: when teams like Australia come out and say they are playing for the #1 ranking, that gives at least some credibility to the rankings system. If teams and officials support the rankings by their words, that will help sell to the public that the rankings mean something. Of course, if there was a Test championship Australia would come out and say they wanted to win that too...but it's a start, and Test cricket needs something to play for. Don't know how many times I've read 'what's the point of Test cricket' by uneducated white-ball lovers - teams stating their aims helps answer that question.

Oh but please for the love of god scrap the T20 rankings quick smart, they are useless without more frequent series.

In a perfect world, cricket - test cricket doesn't need a ranking system as i always say.

Just lets go back to how things were from 1948-2002 when we had no ranking system and all erudite cricket fans and pundits during those 54 years always had a clear understanding of who the best team in the world was.

This is why we had many unofficial # 1 series such as Ashes 58/59, AUS vs WI 64/65, AUS vs WI 68/69, AUS vs SA 69/70, Ashes 72/73, AUS vs WI 79/80, WI vs PAK 87/88, AUS vs WI 90/91 and 92/93, AUS vs WI 94/95, AUS
vs SA 2001/02.

People assessed the state of international cricket before all those series and bestowed the # 1 tag on it before hand.

Between 95-2006/07 as you would agree nobody needed a point system to tell you AUS was the best team in world, it was that obvious.

But........I don't mind a ranking system, once they have a credible tournament in the sport that will eventually iron out the cobwebs of what essentially is a human formulated, computer generated system. Even in football, rankings aren't perfect. Up to recently England was ranked in the top 3 or 5 (can't remember exactly) & Brazil were ranked outside the top 10.The whole world accepted this as a major faux pas.

So in football, rankings are treated as a general easement of your strength - instead of the 100% gospel truth of your actual position, because come football world cup time & tournament qualifiers - the legitimate strength of all teams are well exposed.

Test cricket doesn't have that defining tournament & the rankings are treated as the gospel. In case you might have forget my friend, this is the basis of the test ranking - ICC Test Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

quote said:
The calculations for the table are performed as follows:
Each team scores points based on the results of their matches.
Each team's rating is equal to its total points scored divided by the total matches and series played. (A series must include at least two Tests).
A series only counts if played in the last four years.
Series played in the first two years of the three-year limit count half; essentially, recent matches are given more weight.

The bold is why the system is messed up & whichever human deduced that theory, does not understand cricket.

Not only that, cricket has a situation as we know (that will get worse now under the revamped ICC) of a stupid FTP, in which teams don't play each other home/away is structured manner. That factor is more important for determining the best test team (even without a test championship) - than a ranking system.

Last edited:
ICC revamp : Zaka Ashraf wants consensus before ICC decision | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

quote said:
Ashraf revealed that the BCCI offered to play a series against Pakistan. The two countries haven't played a Test series since 2007, and limited-over matches between the two, which are highly lucrative, have also been reduced due to political tensions. "The BCCI offered all the cricket boards and they offered us a lot too. Since they haven't played our home series in last seven years, we definitely needed a guarantee. Although they have assured a bankable document, we have to look into how sincere they are with their proposition."

The bold is why the system is messed up & whichever human deduced that theory, does not understand cricket.

See I don't see the time frame as a problem. I think results 4 years ago should be worth less than 1 year ago, or is your complaint that the rankings need MORE of past history? ie. 6 or 8 years worth.

If the gap between the ratings of the two teams at the commencement of the series is less than 40 points, then the ratings points for each team equals:
(The team's own series result) multiplied by (50 points MORE than the opponent's rating) PLUS
(The opponent's series result) multiplied by (50 points LESS than the opponent's rating)
If the gap between the ratings of the two teams at the commencement of the series is more than or equal to 40 points, then the ratings points for the stronger team equals:
(The team's own series result) multiplied by (10 points MORE than the team's own rating) PLUS
(The opponent's series result) multiplied by (90 points LESS than the team's own rating)
If the gap between the ratings of the two teams at the commencement of the series is more than or equal to 40 points, then the ratings points for the weaker team equals:
(The team's own series result) multiplied by (90 points MORE than the team's own rating) PLUS
(The opponent's series result) multiplied by (10 points LESS than the team's own rating)

My problem is that I think the weightings aren't right: Most of the teams are within 40 points of each other eg. NZ touring India is apparently close enough to not be discounted - India receives full credit for wins despite playing a team 6 spots below them at home. Needs to be a home and away discount as well IMHO.

Are there any alternatives out there? Balancing the FTP and having an even schedule is a great idea - but will NEVER, EVER, EVER happen in this current political climate. Even a Test Championship's not happening soon...So getting a better rankings system would be something of note. Have Duckworth/Lewis ever done anything? There's HEAPS of stat boffins out there who must have had a crack at a rankings system. I'd be interested to see some alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread