ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This is becoming a classic example of "don't force something down people's throats". If people want to watch test cricket, they will watch it. The administrators don't have a personal hatred towards test cricket. Where the money lies, they will go. Earlier, test cricket used to bring the money because people were just enamored with cricket and the test format was the only format of the two formats available (when ODI came, tests become less mainstream). The format is hugely exposed now that T20's have come. The format was made popular/nostalgic because of that era of players who were so brilliant. You can watch a T20 between any team and can be entertained. But test cricket requires variables (certain teams, certain conditions, certain pitches, etc.) for it to be entertaining and even then, it will fail the patience test for most people who will plug into the game once in a while and the rest of the time, they will be following scores on Cricinfo on their mobile while doing other work.

I have spoken about this elsewhere in this forum too, but I won't be disappointed if tests die. For the nostalgists, watch re-runs of the classic games from before.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Two-tier proposal shelved at ICC meeting | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
We can thank the BCCI again for Tests not having relevance.

Why? I don't think BCCI has done anything bad there. They are actually standing up for the smaller test nations and boards which is a good sign IMO. Again, everyone will have different opinion on the structure and whether to have two tier or not but based on the recently concluded Australia-Sri Lanka series, we can clearly see that anything is possible. With the two-tier structure, we would not even had that series in which Australia were humiliated by a number 7 team in the rankings. Again, as I said, you might have different opinion but what BCCI has done is not something which will make tests lose their relevance.

Bluebagger

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
India gets what India wants.

This is becoming a classic example of "don't force something down people's throats". If people want to watch test cricket, they will watch it. The administrators don't have a personal hatred towards test cricket. Where the money lies, they will go. Earlier, test cricket used to bring the money because people were just enamored with cricket and the test format was the only format of the two formats available (when ODI came, tests become less mainstream). The format is hugely exposed now that T20's have come. The format was made popular/nostalgic because of that era of players who were so brilliant. You can watch a T20 between any team and can be entertained. But test cricket requires variables (certain teams, certain conditions, certain pitches, etc.) for it to be entertaining and even then, it will fail the patience test for most people who will plug into the game once in a while and the rest of the time, they will be following scores on Cricinfo on their mobile while doing other work.

I have spoken about this elsewhere in this forum too, but I won't be disappointed if tests die. For the nostalgists, watch re-runs of the classic games from before.

Speak for yourself. I find T20 as boring as bat shit.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Why? I don't think BCCI has done anything bad there. They are actually standing up for the smaller test nations and boards which is a good sign IMO. Again, everyone will have different opinion on the structure and whether to have two tier or not but based on the recently concluded Australia-Sri Lanka series, we can clearly see that anything is possible. With the two-tier structure, we would not even had that series in which Australia were humiliated by a number 7 team in the rankings. Again, as I said, you might have different opinion but what BCCI has done is not something which will make tests lose their relevance.
Would you have thought otherwise had the BCCI accepted it? Be honest.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Would you have thought otherwise had the BCCI accepted it? Be honest.

TBH, I was actually in favour of two-tier system until the recently concluded Sri Lanka-Australia series where I realized again that you can't predict anything in cricket.

Bluebagger

International Coach
TBH, I was actually in favour of two-tier system until the recently concluded Sri Lanka-Australia series where I realized again that you can't predict anything in cricket.

The result of that series should not have been a surprise to anyone really. Australia cannot play in Asia. Pretty much all the test teams in the world are home town Homer's, maybe England excluded but I doubt they'll go and win in India.

Either the ICC/BCCI whoever runs cricket, forces teams to play home and away on a schedule or they split it up and get the lesser teams and throw in Afghanistan and Ireland so that they can all play each other and have a promotion/relegation. They have to be playing and right now they're not. The fact that the BCCI can get this knocked on the head despite 6 votes in favour of it is very worrying. Why even have an ICC at this point.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The result of that series should not have been a surprise to anyone really. Australia cannot play in Asia. Pretty much all the test teams in the world are home town Homer's, maybe England excluded but I doubt they'll go and win in India.

Either the ICC/BCCI whoever runs cricket, forces teams to play home and away on a schedule or they split it up and get the lesser teams and throw in Afghanistan and Ireland so that they can all play each other and have a promotion/relegation. They have to be playing and right now they're not. The fact that the BCCI can get this knocked on the head despite 6 votes in favour of it is very worrying. Why even have an ICC at this point.

I don't know why but I do think the result was a surprise. Australia can not play in Asia and we all know that but last time Australia toured Sri Lanka, they won there. Yes, they had Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke and Hussey in that team but Sri Lanka also had Mahela and Sanga at that time. They were still able to win. I expected Australia to win this time around as well because Sri Lanka probably fielded the most inexperienced and probably their worst team in the years I have seen them. So I expected Australia to win but they just didn't get beaten, they got humiliated by a very weak Sri Lankan team

And we all know how strong BCCI is right now and I don't think anyone should be surprised by that. It's just like how strong Australia and England were in past years and right now it is BCCI. However, as I said in my last post, I don't particularly think it's a bad decision by looking at the state of the game right now.

Bluebagger

International Coach
What makes it a terrible decision is that the vote of just 1 board can outweigh the vote of 6. Why even have meetings and panels to vote and discuss things, just get India to decide on everything that suits them.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I know scorning BCCI is fashionable and sometimes they do not help their own cause, but I don't see the hooplah with this decision.

Its not like it was BCCI vs the rest and the "vote" outcome was 9 to 1. SLC, BCB, ZC were against it too. And there actually was no vote. 6 boards supported the idea, 4 did not. And at the end of the discussion, the consensus was to shelve the idea, for the moment. Not making stuff up - all of this info is in the first paragraph of that article from cricinfo.

I can totally see why the 6 boards were in favor of the test championship - and I am sure "more context" wasn't the only thing on their mind. It would also mean, they would not have to tour/host teams like BD, Zim, SL, WI which tend to earn them no money. How very convenient eh? I am surprised the greedy BCCI was not on this side of the debate.

And like someone mentioned, the SL v Aus test series is a very solid proof of why the Test Championship might actually be a bad idea.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
One amazing bit of info. I was looking at how many times have India and Aus have toured BD and ZIM for tours. Considering how BCCI is painted as the devil that will destroy the smaller teams, these numbers are astonishing. Especially the Test Series

Ind-BD
Test series count: 5. Last one 2015
ODI series count: 4. Last one 2015

Aus-BD
Test series count: 2. Last one 2010
ODI series count: 4. Last one 2010

Ind-ZIM
Test series count: 7. Last one 2005
ODI series count: 9. Last one 2016

Aus-ZIM
Test series count: 2. Last one 2003
ODI series count: 2. Last one 2004

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
What makes it a terrible decision is that the vote of just 1 board can outweigh the vote of 6. Why even have meetings and panels to vote and discuss things, just get India to decide on everything that suits them.

The rule was that atleast 7 nations need to be on one side for that side to get through. Well India had three other nations (SL, BD and ZIM) on their side which makes the opposite side with only 6 nations. They fell one nation short to be able to win and pass through. Now you could say "BCCI arm twisted SL, BD and ZIM to be on their side" but well it also paints these boards in a bad picture that they fell for it (if the arm twisting theory is true).

Bluebagger

International Coach
And that's exactly why Bangladesh were given full status so they can help vote for whatever the BCCI want. India got what India want, simple.

Why do people keep bringing up Australia v Sri Lanka but ignore the entirely predictable Australia v West Indies and India v West Indies. West Indies didn't get close to either team in the space of 6-8 months. If the two tier test system was in place today Australia v Sri Lanka still would have been played but the West Indies series would not.

@abhi_jacko Youre conveniently leaving out security concerns from the government with touring those countries as well as Zimbabwe's exile. Even Bangladesh cancelled a test series against Zimbabwe.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
And that's exactly why Bangladesh were given full status so they can help vote for whatever the BCCI want. India got what India want, simple.

Why do people keep bringing up Australia v Sri Lanka but ignore the entirely predictable Australia v West Indies and India v West Indies. West Indies didn't get close to either team in the space of 6-8 months. If the two tier test system was in place today Australia v Sri Lanka still would have been played but the West Indies series would not.

@abhi_jacko Youre conveniently leaving out security concerns from the government with touring those countries as well as Zimbabwe's exile. Even Bangladesh cancelled a test series against Zimbabwe.

And I am happy that India get what it wants. I have seen numerous posts how India arm twists and lets other boards vote make no sense. Would like to point out the fact that Zimbabwe, Sri lanka, Bangladesh had already voiced their concern even before BCCI raised the issue. I would rather see those boring India vs West Indies test matches then play Australia England again and again make Test Cricket no sense at all. If they want relegation & promotions they need to find a better way. What if for years and years and years the bottom 5 remains in bottom 5? Have you considered the financial impact?

Also what the fearsome tweak is the security concern? South Africa, New Zealand, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan have all travelled to Zimbabwe, Australia feel scared?[DOUBLEPOST=1473556350][/DOUBLEPOST]I would say arm twist more BCCI go for it, if you bully there are others who are actually loving the bullying you do(more money they make). No one is tweaking innocent, everyone is in the same boat. Its just that asian's always take the blame if they rise up in power because the first world country just cannot see someone actually dominating.

Users who are viewing this thread