ICC World T20 India 2016 - March/April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
What ddo people think of Englands Chances, I for one am quietly confident, we bat deep, have 6 genuine bowling options (inc 2 spinners)

Depends how you adapt to indian conditions, none except morgan has played much 20/20 cricket in india. Have you as a dark horse personally.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
India seem to be the favorites to reach the final 4-a lot emanating from the home advantage and knowledge of the conditions that they have. Having said that, I feel that India won't win the title this time round-as they tend to peak a bit early in tournaments and get blown away by their opposition on crunch games. The other 3 spots would most likely be taken up by the Windies, New Zealand and South Africa.

In the last 4 ICC tournaments, we have won the tournament twice (2011 ODI WC, ICC 2013 Champions Trophy), reached final once (T20 World Cup 2014) and reached semis once (2015 ODI WC). Also India is a big tournament team and this time the added advantage of playing in home conditions.

I think its not wrong for us to hope. Of course we all know T20 is a very volatile format and anybody can win. But going into the tournament, I dont think any other team is a bigger favorite than India and that's not just due to home conditions but also because of form.

stefan

International Coach
Home advantage can be a blessing and a curse. If india gets of to a good start in the tournament the crowd will sweep them along but if they get of to a bad start the pressure from the crowd will build and will become even harder.

India is certainly one of the favorites. Probably has the best top 3 in t20 cricket and a balanced side.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I just hope that yuvi won't choke like he did in the last T20WC final. We need him to win the cup.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I just hope that yuvi won't choke like he did in the last T20WC final. We need him to win the cup.

Somehow I'm still not convinced with Yuvraj's selection here. Yes he may offer the option of a left arm spinner, but his inclusion makes the middle order weaker. In Yuvraj, Raina and Pandya we have big hitters who are quite inconsistent. Ideally India's best bet would be to have Rahane and Dhawan open and have Rohit at No.4.

For a change, I do feel that India's bowling is pretty strong with the likes of Nehra,Bumrah,Shami, Ashwin & JAdeja plying their wares on Indian grounds.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Somehow I'm still not convinced with Yuvraj's selection here. Yes he may offer the option of a left arm spinner, but his inclusion makes the middle order weaker. In Yuvraj, Raina and Pandya we have big hitters who are quite inconsistent. Ideally India's best bet would be to have Rahane and Dhawan open and have Rohit at No.4.

For a change, I do feel that India's bowling is pretty strong with the likes of Nehra,Bumrah,Shami, Ashwin & JAdeja plying their wares on Indian grounds.
No. I don't agree. Rohit is an opener. he is playing excellent in that spot. They should not move him down. And Raina is consistent. He has improved a lot lately and Yuvi will be back(hopefully). That's why I mentioned yuvi is important for us to win the cup. Unfortunately there is no place for Rahane in T20. He may come in place of dhawan if he doesn't perform well in Asia Cup.

bigred

Club Captain
No. I don't agree. Rohit is an opener. he is playing excellent in that spot. They should not move him down. And Raina is consistent. He has improved a lot lately and Yuvi will be back(hopefully). That's why I mentioned yuvi is important for us to win the cup. Unfortunately there is no place for Rahane in T20. He may come in place of dhawan if he doesn't perform well in Asia Cup.

Will India pick 5 proper bowlers and make do with Jadeja and Ashwin at 7 and 8, or will they play Pandya and then bat really deep? That would probably mean dropping one of Nehra or Shami. If it were me, I think I'd go with 5 batters, Dhoni and 5 proper bowlers.

peaceful

Banned
T20i games not easy to predict on result-wise, poor performance in couple of overs changes result one way or other way.i doubt
W.I can do any better without pollard ( is he pull out?) Dwayn bravo and sunil Narine.

peaceful

Banned
Pandya walk in Indian team now he need to perform with the ball sooner in Asia cup, other day his brother Kunal pandya whose base price is 10 Lakh , was sold for 2 Crore ( IPL) ,he was purchase by Mumbai India,

I bet their dad Himanshu pandya also cricketer, proud of his sons.

bigred

Club Captain
My world t20 ultimate Xl

1. Gayle
2. Sharma
3. Kohli
4. de Villiers
5. Maxwell
6. Dhoni
7. Afridi
8. Ashwin
9. Steyn
10. Riaz
11. Morkel

Wow. I've just realised that Morkel isn't even in WC squad. Will replace him with Boult then.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

Ever since Raina came back in the T20's in Australia, he has looked very good. And he is a different beast altogether in shorter formats in home conditions. Can keep the cool head and play crucial innings. Pandya is an investment and the X-factor. He came good in that game against SL where he boosted the total. A seaming allrounder wont be needed in home conditions, so I hope Dhoni gives Harbhajan a go in the Asia Cup so that Harbhajan and Pandya fight for that fifth bowler spot.

Will India pick 5 proper bowlers and make do with Jadeja and Ashwin at 7 and 8, or will they play Pandya and then bat really deep? That would probably mean dropping one of Nehra or Shami. If it were me, I think I'd go with 5 batters, Dhoni and 5 proper bowlers.

We have Yuvraj and Raina also as backup spinners and the big thing here is we are playing at home which means both these guys are pretty useful in these conditions. That's why the Pandya option has been a good one. But I want Harbhajan for Pandya and let Yuvraj and Raina focus on their batting/fielding.

Rahane is a better opener than Rohit, even if not as flashy. By making Rohit open, you are basically cutting Rahane out of the side because he can't fit anywhere else. Rohit can fit at No.4, Rahane can't. If Rohit struggles to get going as an opener, he can eat up a lot of dot balls. Rahane, if he struggles, will do a better job than Rohit in stealing singles and rotating strike. For Rahane fans, they would hope Rohit fails as opener so that Rahane can find a permanent place in the shorter formats.

Last edited:

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

Honestly even though Shami is our best bowler, he hasn't played any international cricket and he has played only 4 or 5 competitive matches since last year's WC . I dunno how fit he will be to come and bowl directly in the WC. It's a bit of gamble to include him in top XI. We have Asia cup coming along which will help us decide the best possible combination and hopefully Shami will be fit and he plays few matches there.

And I think they might go with the similar teams they were playing against Lanka and Aussies. Pandya is great fielder and in the last match, he smashed some of the balls. As we all know, Dhoni doesn't like to change the playing XI much. It will be a pity to drop Shami though. But I wouldn't pick him as he just hasn't played any cricket recently. And Bhajji is a good T20 bowler. Even though he doesn't pick up much wickets, he will not let runs flow. But I am not sure whether he will play. And Yuvi can bowl too as well as Raina. But I don't want Raina to bowl. This is pretty balanced side. I feel the only place, MSD might consider changing is Pandya/Bhajji(tough to include him, but depends on pitch too)/Shami and Dhawan/Rahane.

Ever since Raina came back in the T20's in Australia, he has looked very good. And he is a different beast altogether in shorter formats in home conditions. Can keep the cool head and play crucial innings. Pandya is an investment and the X-factor. He came good in that game against SL where he boosted the total. A seaming allrounder wont be needed in home conditions, so I hope Dhoni gives Harbhajan a go in the Asia Cup so that Harbhajan and Pandya fight for that fifth bowler spot.

We have Yuvraj and Raina also as backup spinners and the big thing here is we are playing at home which means both these guys are pretty useful in these conditions. That's why the Pandya option has been a good one. But I want Harbhajan for Pandya and let Yuvraj and Raina focus on their batting/fielding.

Rahane is a better opener than Rohit, even if not as flashy. By making Rohit open, you are basically cutting Rahane out of the side because he can't fit anywhere else. Rohit can fit at No.4, Rahane can't. If Rohit struggles to get going as an opener, he can eat up a lot of dot balls. Rahane, if he struggles, will do a better job than Rohit in stealing singles and rotating strike. For Rahane fans, they would hope Rohit fails as opener so that Rahane can find a permanent place in the shorter formats.
Yes, It will be unfortunate to drop Rahane, but Rohit is doing so well as an opener, I don't want to mess that up. I like Rahane more than Rohit, but I don't want to see Rohit as non-opener. Dhoni would rather drop Dhawan rather than dropping Rohit. And remember, Dhoni had dropped Rahane for not taking singles and for not rotating strike in Bangladesh's tour if I remember properly. Rahane is the best batsman next to Kohli according to me, it will be sad to drop him.

Last edited:

bigred

Club Captain

There's no way that Rohit shouldn't open. He's been your best player in the last few moths. It would be like England moving Hales to 4 because they want to get Luke Wright in. You just don't mess around the guys doing the business for you.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Sri Lanka squad- Lasith Malinga (capt), Angelo Mathews (vice-capt), Dinesh Chandimal, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Niroshan Dickwella, Shehan Jayasuriya, Milinda Siriwardana, Dasun Shanaka, Chamara Kapugedera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Dushmantha Chameera, Thisara Perera, Sachithra Senanayake, Rangana Herath, Jeffrey Vandersay

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
My world t20 ultimate Xl

1. Gayle