Your Cricket Increase bowling pace

RahulChatterjee

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
im a 17 year old medium fast bowler height 5 feet 7 inches build:Slim.
I bowl in typical Munaf Patel action and i generate decent pace, but i have seen bowlers chucking at the last moment of delivery to generate enormous pace and bounce which i cant do, they chuck so fast that it cant bee seen like dale steyn of south africa.And one more thing i have noticed if i run very fast then i cant generate my usual pace, is this okay.
Can any one suggest any further tips to increase pace i paly second division cricket at kalighat(west bengal/India) and i desperately want to get into first division by next year. :yes

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I found I could bowl much faster if I used more of a James Anderson or Shane Bond style bowling action.

The secret of bowling fast is to really slam down your non bowling arm so that your bowling arm moves faster. I find an action like the ones mentioned helps that (and also caused the ball to angle in a lot which also helped), though you may be slightly more wayward.

Experiment with other actions. The Dale Steyn action you mentioned is a decent one too.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Experimenting with actions is the best way. You will generate enoguh pace from a Bond/ Steyn action, seeing as the arm really moves quickly. The downside is- you may become wayward initially and may go for runs. So, it will take some time before you perfect the action and use it in a match.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
im a 17 year old medium fast bowler height 5 feet 7 inches build:Slim.
I bowl in typical Munaf Patel action and i generate decent pace, but i have seen bowlers chucking at the last moment of delivery to generate enormous pace and bounce which i cant do, they chuck so fast that it cant bee seen like dale steyn of south africa.And one more thing i have noticed if i run very fast then i cant generate my usual pace, is this okay.
Can any one suggest any further tips to increase pace i paly second division cricket at kalighat(west bengal/India) and i desperately want to get into first division by next year. :yes

Bowling fast is about strength and action. Bowling action changes without a qualified coach are risky and difficult to implement. However, anyone can get stronger and it will increase your speed.

I'd recommend starting off with the program here.

After you have completed this 4 week program, then I'd recommend moving on to this.

This is worth a look to sort out any mobility issues that you may have.

Following the two programs and sorting any mobility issues will give you a noticeable increase in speed. It will probably iron out some flaws in your action too which are caused by poor mobility or strength imbalance.

----------

Experimenting with actions is the best way. You will generate enoguh pace from a Bond/ Steyn action, seeing as the arm really moves quickly. The downside is- you may become wayward initially and may go for runs. So, it will take some time before you perfect the action and use it in a match.

I disagree. I think, in the absence of a coach, bowl with the action which is comfortable and natural for you. The only change that I think can be implemented without a coach is to follow through fully in the action, with the non bowling arm coming through fully so it points up toward the sky (like Bond, Lee, Steyn and Akhtar).

RahulChatterjee

School Cricketer
thanx guys, there is one more thing i would like to share, I have been around the game since i was 6 years n from then till now i have a problem in my run up, i think its because i have weak thighs i mean i feel a lot of strength in my arms both left n right but i dont feel such strength in my thighs, hence i have problems in my run up i tend to jump several times, my coaches say i dont run straight(that is my toes dont fall straight) what can be going wrong

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That can be because of pressure too ,first practice to run in a meduim pace then slightly fast then fast and then you'll know how to run straight .Do jogging for 1 week every evening, then next week do a slight faster joggine then before ,and then the next week run as fast as you can , and also try running in a path .I hope this helps you .:)

manee

Chairman of Selectors
thanx guys, there is one more thing i would like to share, I have been around the game since i was 6 years n from then till now i have a problem in my run up, i think its because i have weak thighs i mean i feel a lot of strength in my arms both left n right but i dont feel such strength in my thighs, hence i have problems in my run up i tend to jump several times, my coaches say i dont run straight(that is my toes dont fall straight) what can be going wrong

Your toes not falling straight means you probably have a problem with your feet. It is common and you might want to see a doctor about it as it could cause knee and back problems in the future. You can strengthen and loosen your thighs and whole body with the three links that I provided in the earlier post. Physical strength and mobility is first and foremost for a fast bowler.

spooony

Club Captain
Your will have shoulder and joint problems before you hit 25 if you try to use your shoulders to generate more pace. You should look at your run up and action. It should be on complete flowing action.

BadAss

School Cricketer
I'm not a great pace bowler. But I'm 14 and I bowl at a decent pace.See the things you've to keep in mind are -

Your Built - Your height should be good like around 5'8 or 5'9 is OK.And you should have a decent body.

The speed you run at - Your running should be very fast. It helps to get momentum and generate some pace.

Your Action - You can try any action like the Dale Steyn but make sure you jump high and put some pressure from shoulders.

Keep all these things in mind and stick to your basics. Who knows .. You are partnering Brett Lee next year in the IPL. :p

Good LUCK !

----------

I'm not a great pace bowler. But I'm 14 and I bowl at a decent pace.See the things you've to keep in mind are -

Your Built - Your height should be good like around 5'8 or 5'9 is OK.And you should have a decent body.

The speed you run at - Your running should be very fast. It helps to get momentum and generate some pace.

Your Action - You can try any action like the Dale Steyn but make sure you jump high and put some pressure from shoulders.

Keep all these things in mind and stick to your basics. Who knows .. You are partnering Brett Lee next year in the IPL. :p

Good LUCK !

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am no coach, but you need a decent coach to properly train you and get a clean action which usually increases speed by quite a bit

TatiltaTitan

School Cricketer
the other things to remember is that while someone like Mcgrath was not overly quick he stood tall in his action and made sure to run through the crease, bowlers dont realise but the jump they put in their action actually reduces thee speeds at which they can bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread