India in Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sachin_007 said:
But i India dont need Ganguly right now...India is doing gr8 right now without ganguly even i dont want Ganguly to come back in the match nd messed up everythin....

yoo u forgot those days whe ganguly made india wins the matches.

Sachin_007 said:
But i India dont need Ganguly right now...India is doing gr8 right now without ganguly even i dont want Ganguly to come back in the match nd messed up everythin....

I think Ganguly should play because he has the experience that could be shared in the middle. he is in a decent nick. if he don work this time then he should be chucked out. He atleast deserve one chance to show. i would back ganguly at the moment. but if he don perform then he should be told to sit on the bench for the next match.

I dont get why you Indians hate (or dont like much) Ganguly, as Mohammad Inzi said.... come-on ,he'z a good player , i like him anyway !!

Player Ratings

Now that both the Squads have been announced, and given that Pakistan is going to prepare Tracks to suit Fast bowlers more in wintry conditions, I have rated the effectivesness of each player in these conditions.
Players who are more likely to do well in these conditions and on fast wickets will get rated closer to 10. Current Form and Temperment will also be taken into account.

INDIA #### PAKISTAN
Dravid 10 #### Inzamam 10
Tendulkar 9 #### Shoaib Akhtar 10
Virender Sehwag 9#### Mohd. Yusuf 9
VVS Laxman 9 #### Sami 9
Irfan Pathan 8.5 #### Afridi 8.5
Anil Kumble 8.5 #### Naved-ul Hasan 8.5
Zaheer Khan 8 #### Younis Khan 8
Yuvraj Singh 8 #### Abdul Razzaq 8
Dhoni 7.5 #### Salman Butt 7.5
Wasim Jaffer 7.5 #### Kamran Akmal 7.5
Gambhir 7 #### Imran Farhat 7.5
Harbhajan 7 #### Danish Kaneria 7
Ganguly 7 #### Arshad Khan 7
Ajit Agarkar 6 #### Mohd. Asif 7
RP Singh 6 #### Shoaib Malik 6

I have excluded Parthiv Patel so that the Totals for both teams will be calculated by adding points of 15 Players.
Pakistan Squad's Total is 120.5 followed by a close Indian Squad Total of 118.
Would love comments and criticisms.

usy57_pak said:
I dont get why you Indians hate (or dont like much) Ganguly, as Mohammad Inzi said.... come-on ,he'z a good player , i like him anyway !!

stereotypes and prejudice...nothing else.
Its simple. You take cricket seriously or you don't. Cricket is meant as a source of entertainment...nothing else, unless you want to play for a team. Unfortunately, people take it too seriously, going too much into the details and thus ruining the whole concept of entertainment.
We need to appreciate every player and every person part of the game...if he/she doesn't perform...who cares...lets move on.
I believe the same goes with Ganguly.

sohummisra said:
Gavaskar's suggestion may have some meat to it, even though it means dropping one of our senior players. But perhaps in the second test, not in the first. Taking 3 openers into the first test would be a negative move. The way I see it, we should take Jaffer instead of Gambhir because he looks in far better touch.

Playing 3 openers would somewhat ruin the "chemistry" of india in tests. If we get three openers our line-up would be like:

Jaffer
Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Dhoni/Patel
Pathan
Harbajan
Kumble
Zaheer.

That means we only have 1 lefty, if Patel doesn't play, In the top in Gambhir. Also it means dravid at 4, sachin at 5 which is just odd.

cricket_lover said:
stereotypes and prejudice...nothing else.
Its simple. You take cricket seriously or you don't. Cricket is meant as a source of entertainment...nothing else, unless you want to play for a team. Unfortunately, people take it too seriously, going too much into the details and thus ruining the whole concept of entertainment.
We need to appreciate every player and every person part of the game...if he/she doesn't perform...who cares...lets move on.
I believe the same goes with Ganguly.

Cricket is what it does to you.
Could be Entertainment, could be Life, a Drug, and in my case a Trancedental Meditation - a step up from the mundane level of middle-aged life. :)

Here's an interesting comparative article. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakvind/content/story/232252.html . The writings may be biased, as the author is presumably Indian, yet cricinfo is an epitome of fair cricket journalism.

Nevertheless, even if the statistics put India in a slightly higher bracket, it does not account for the recent Pakistani improvement, and certainly is a meager forshadowing of the future series.

Cricketman93 said:
Playing 3 openers would somewhat ruin the "chemistry" of india in tests. If we get three openers our line-up would be like:

Jaffer
Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Dhoni/Patel
Pathan
Harbajan
Kumble
Zaheer.

That means we only have 1 lefty, if Patel doesn't play, In the top in Gambhir. Also it means dravid at 4, sachin at 5 which is just odd.
Well, you wouldn't just stuff the 3 openers at the top, in my opinion. Sehwag is not bad as a middle order player, either, especially since it means he will be facing primarily the spinners. If we play 3 openers, we also have the benefit of protecting Dravid's wicket (protection not required, probably) in case the ball is moving around a bit. It is just an experimental issue, which I doubt the Indian team management will utilize, especially since they already have to worry about Yuvraj vs Ganguly.

s2sschan said:
INDIA #### PAKISTAN

Tendulkar 9 #### Shoaib Akhtar 10
VVS Laxman 9 #### Sami 9
Anil Kumble 8.5 #### Naved-ul Hasan 8.5
Wasim Jaffer 7.5 #### Kamran Akmal 7.5
Ganguly 7 #### Arshad Khan 7
Ajit Agarkar 6 #### Mohd. Asif 7
RP Singh 6 #### Shoaib Malik 6

I have excluded Parthiv Patel so that the Totals for both teams will be calculated by adding points of 15 Players.
Pakistan Squad's Total is 120.5 followed by a close Indian Squad Total of 118.
Would love comments and criticisms.

This one is surely for the humour forum.

India
India's key is their batting, but as was seen in the practice game against Pakistan A, their bowlers might struggle this time around. A lot depends on Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble, but I dont think the wickets will help the spinners as much as in India.

India's two key players are Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar. I think for any opposition, if you manage to get these two out, then you can safely say that you've done 40% of the job. However there are other players who on their day can cause problems as well. Virender Sehwag, though highly unpredictable is capable of scoring big knocks. The likes of Yuvraj Singh, Gautam Gambhir and Wasim Jaffer have talent, but dont pose as much of a threat as the previous three players I mentioned before.

The dark horse in the Indian batting lineup is Saurav Ganguly. He however needs to first find a place in the starting lineup. This could be a make or break series for him, and I for one believe he can play a crucial and decisive role if given the oppurtunity. He does need a bit of luck also.

Mahendra Dhoni will hit his sixes, but thats pretty much it. Irfan Pathan might get another surprise 50 or 100 in one of the innings, and improve his tag of an allrounder even more.

But the bowling is a worry. Irfan Pathan is being hailed as India's newest allrounder, and has done a good job so far. But I think over the past few years while his batting has picked up tremendously, his bowling has been disappointing. He has been very inconsistent with the ball, and very rarely does he perform well with both ball and bat in the same match. I havent seen much of India's newcomers RP Singh, etc. and I do not rate Ajit Agarkar very highly as a bowler, though on his day he can bag 4-5 wickets. Unfortunately one good match is followed by 3-4 bad ones.

The bowling hence depends purely on the spinners, Harbhajan and Kumble. But if you check out on the last series in Pakistan, I think it was one certain Shoaib Akhtar who was the highest wicket-taker. And despite the fact that England's batsmen struggle against spin, I thought they had a really rough time facing Akhtar and Naved.

Hence I dont think the wickets will suit the spinners as much as they do in India.

Pakistan
Pakistan too have a strong batting lineup with the likes of Salman Butt, Younis Khan, Mohd. Yousuf and Inzamam all in very good form after the series against England. I would pick Mohd. Yousuf, Salman Butt and Inzamam as the three key batsmen for the home side. Kamran Akmal is the dark horse, and believe me this lad can score runs!

Pakistan have the clear edge in bowling. Shoaib Akhtar is in the form of his life, and bowled brilliantly against England. Watch out for him. Mohammad Sami has been fairly silent, but he too is a fine performer. For India's sake I hope he remains silent in this series as well. Danish Kaneria, Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik represent Pakistan's spin department, but I dont think they'll trouble the Indian batsmen much as the latter are the best players of spin bowling in the world.

In Abdul Razzaq they have an excellent allrounder, and I consider him as another key player in the Pakistan side, and one who could make the difference. Definately the best genuine allrounder from both sides combined.

Key Players for India:
Tendulkar
Dravid
Kumble
Harbhajan

Key Players for Pakistan
Inzamam
Mohd. Yousuf
Salman Butt
Shoaib Akhtar
Abdul Razzaq

My Predicition for the test series:
2-1 or 2-0 win for Pakistan (assuming bad light does not stop play)

Nice analysis m_vaughan and have to agree with basically all of your comments. But i still predict a 2-1 India win with Tendulkar and Pathan performing exceptionally well.

Ditto. I feel Harbhajan and Kumble will still be able to be phenomenally successful on these pitches, especially in the second innings, because they will get a lot of bounce. If you watched the series against Sri Lanka, more than half of our spin-duo's wickets came from balls that bounced higher than the batsmen expected. As the pitch begins to crumble, it will inevitably begin to spin. And the bounce will cause it to become troublesome for the batsmen.

Secondly, I feel that even if Pakistan's premier bowling line-up played in the Bagh-e-Jinna pitch, they would be tonked around the park. The pitch was flatter than a pancake and not much help was there for any bowler, in particular. If conditions are suited for faster bowlers, they will help both sides. This will be particularly useful for our bowlers who need to find a bit of form--there confidence would simply have been drilled if the actual test series were to be played on batting pitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread