India in South Africa

Being South Africa, arent they good enough to fight back and restrict India to 414? Give them some credit yaar!

Yeah, but being 395/5 and then 414 all out. Sehwag threw his wicket away just when he was set to plunder the bowling. So there is a lost opportunity there. That's all I am saying...

harishankar said:
Sehwag threw his wicket away just when he was set to plunder the bowling. So there is a lost opportunity there. That's all I am saying...

He did it indeed... 40 from 49 balls in a test match with 6 fours and a six.... What else to expect more than this from a natural player that too he was struggling this test series thru out... So his 40 runs knock is definitely an valuable one comaparing to his previous forms which shd have relieved him a bit now! Its not grounds thats going to matter, whether its a batting or bowling track, only the runs under his belt is going to matter Sehwag!

Have u heard of this saying, " Something is better than nothing " In this case, i am more satisfied with Sehwag's quick 40 ;)

Surendar, wouldn't you agree that when Sehwag was set on 40 and looking good, he threw his wicket away? Here's a guy out of form, a golden opportunity to get a magnificient 80 odd runs or even a century to put his team on top and then plays a rather ambitious slog sweep to a left arm spinner bowling over the wicket into the rough?

Sorry if I sound so negative. I appreciate his effort here, but it is so frustrating as an Indian fan to see a good position being thrown away like that.

If we left SA back into the game, I think it can go down to that crucial lapses in concentration by set batsmen.

harishankar said:
Surendar, wouldn't you agree that when Sehwag was set on 40 and looking good, he threw his wicket away? Here's a guy out of form, a golden opportunity to get a magnificient 80 odd runs or even a century to put his team on top and then plays a rather ambitious slog sweep to a left arm spinner bowling over the wicket into the rough?
Going by that lines, a 400 too would be less, he could have made a 600! :rolleyes:

And it was the same sweep shot which fetched him a 6! He was right, though a bit over-ambitious, in playing the shot again!

And the match is very even now! Tomorrow should be very interesting!

Going by that lines, a 400 too would be less, he could have made a 600!
Let's talk something realistic here. You know what I meant... I was being realistic - you are projecting something unrealistic out of my realistic expectations to make a point. That's just not a valid argument.
I agree with that.

I predict a draw alas it was set up to be so exiting but hings diddnt turn out that way!!!!

viral1991 said:
Going by that lines, a 400 too would be less, he could have made a 600! :rolleyes:

lol Viral :rtfl

And it was the same sweep shot which fetched him a 6! He was right, though a bit over-ambitious, in playing the shot again!

Sehwag is that type of player only.. Thats y he mostly try to hit sixes inspite of being in 94+ ;)

I dont knw how many ppl remember this.. He was dismissed of a confident sweep shot against one of the Aussie spinners ( i am not sure of the name) in Australia ( where we drew the historic test series ) when he was in 195! Unlucky ambitious Sehwag to struggle in recent series!

viral1991 said:

If India can set around 350, they are well back into the game... I am expecting Jumbo again to do the trick in the final day! :)

Last edited:
surendar said:
Sehwag is that type of player only.. Thats y he mostly try to hit sixes inspite of being in 94+ ;)
I dont knw how many ppl remember this.. He was dismissed of a confident sweep shot against one of the Aussie spinners ( i am not sure of the name) in Australia ( where we drew the historic test series ) when he was in 195! Unlucky ambitious Sehwag to struggle in recent series!
It was against Simon Katich! He had just a scored a six of the previous ball! ;) I watched his 195 video on Google Video! :)

If India can set around 350, they are well back into the game... I am expecting Jumbo again to do the trick in the final day! :)

I think he will be deadly, & Sehwag-Sachin should provide some good support too!

surendar said:

India are already into the game, surender! Its South Africa who have to fight back to get back into the game.... India have the cushion of bowling on a 5th day pitch....

marapets said:
I predict a draw alas it was set up to be so exiting but hings diddnt turn out that way!!!!

If Sehwag gets going tomorrow, a draw might actually not happen at all....

harishankar said:
Let's talk something realistic here. You know what I meant... I was being realistic - you are projecting something unrealistic out of my realistic expectations to make a point. That's just not a valid argument.

I agree with that.

Well, why not. The Indian batsmen looked totally untroubled during their stay at the middle of the first innings. And the wicket is still very good for batting. Why couldnt have they scored 600 runs? Well, viral1991 wasnt going over the limits of realism!

I think we miss Dhoni in this game. A hard & big hitter like Dhoni would have thrived on this wicket. This wicket has nothing in terms of lateral movement or natural swing. It has reverse swing which comes to play only late in the innings and that too, very minimal. Had Dhoni been there, we would be in a better position to accelerate tomorrow!

saisrini80 said:
Well, why not. The Indian batsmen looked totally untroubled during their stay at the middle of the first innings. And the wicket is still very good for batting. Why couldnt have they scored 600 runs? Well, viral1991 wasnt going over the limits of realism!
I think viral was being sarcastic by saying Sehwag could score 600 by himself. Not very realistic, that. ;)

If India want to set a target anything around 400 and if they want South Africa to bat atleast 10-15 overs today then according to me Sehwag should open. India will have to take the gamble as Sehwag at number 7 will be useless today . Even if comes at number 7 the Harris will bowl the negetive line bowling in the rough and Sehwag will sweeo that with no thinking .So anyone with the opinion that Sehwag should open ?

Saisrini, actually I was making the same point as you made. He countered my argument by saying why not sehwag score 600 by himself sarcastically which I objected to as a wrong argument. My point was that, having made 40, Sehwag should have at least made a 80+.

So hope that clears it up.

saisrini80 said:
India are already into the game, surender! Its South Africa who have to fight back to get back into the game.... India have the cushion of bowling on a 5th day pitch....

In my opinion, they have done almost though not fully as its going to depend on today's batting... If batters do something silly thinking to accelerate the score, it wud turn other way! i guess its rare though becos of the pitch conditions! ;)

No worries in our bowling dept on 5th day... especially Kumble is going to be a trump card i feel... But little worried abt the batting today.. What and how Indians are going to do today... Eagerly waiting for the start of the match :)

saisrini80 said:
I think we miss Dhoni in this game. A hard & big hitter like Dhoni would have thrived on this wicket. This wicket has nothing in terms of lateral movement or natural swing. It has reverse swing which comes to play only late in the innings and that too, very minimal. Had Dhoni been there, we would be in a better position to accelerate tomorrow!

Yes, very much.... But there is some goodness in that also as were able to get a nice opening partnership in first innings and Sehwag has some runs finally for his name!

So if we have to gain something, we have to loose something ;)

Day4...... India have to be watchful and at the same time, they shd think to accelerate the scorecard. I feel, Sehwag shd come down the order and play the role of Dhoni.

Let the openers get the start, then Sourav,Sachin and Sehwag have the capacity to accelerate by fast scoring with solid support of Dravid and Laxman!

As i said before, Anything around 350-360 wud be a nice score to defend! If Indian bowlers are able to get atleast one wicket later today, there is a huge chance for Indian victory though they have to continue working hard!

I think under normal circumstances SA would struggle to chase 250+ on the last day. Already their batsmen will be worried about the demons on the pitch.

We need the three spinners (Kumble, Tendulkar and Sehwag) to bowl the majority of the overs as it looks like Sreesanth picked up a minor niggle and Munaf doesn't look fit at all to bowl a 5+ over spell. Too bad we don't have Harbhajan, but when you play the extra batsman, this is what happens...

To make up for the 1-bowler short India will need closer to 300 to really test the South Africans.

Anything from 300+ will be difficult, I don't see India setting 400 unless if they score in excess of 4 runs an over. Also shuldn't under estimate SA's bowling, Ntini can be dangerous on this pitch as there is still some bounce and that Harris bowler looks the goods. A very nicely poised match we have here.

Users who are viewing this thread