India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

For India, the no-brainer change is Yadav for Mohit Sharma. The batting order's okay, I guess, but another failure will put both Raina and Yuvraj under pressure.

We also need to rethink Ashwin in ODIs on unfriendly tracks. He doesn't maintain pressure or take wickets. At Jo'burg, he didn't seem to figure out the proper length to bowl and dropped it short too often. Jadeja is a better overall package and I really don't see the reason to play both Ashwin and Jadeja on tracks with zero grip. Unfortunately the only other fast bowler we have in the squad is Ishant, and I think we're all still scarred due to what he did the last time he was out on the field.

I really liked the team from last night. The only problem is Smith should probably fit in somewhere. Don't know who to drop though.

I would change Parnell for Philander. Their batting is about the same but Philander is definitely a better bowler.

Despite a few wides, McLaren did really well. SA needs a good bowling allrounder and he will do the job.

Ha ye, by converting Amla into a ODI opener & the emergence of De Kock (whicH relieves De Villiers of the keeping duties) its indeed a stress to accommodate Smith.

I'm guessing the obvious vulnerable man is Miller. Duminy late in the order can be a destructive finisher. So maybe bat Smith @ # 3 & Kallis, AB, JP drop a position down.

Although Philander can certainly bat well, i'd say Parnell's batting is slightly superior still. Of all the quicks on show Tstosobe was by far the least impressive & talented - so if Philander should come in for anyone (presuming they keeping and all-pace attack) - its LT.

Ha ye, by converting Amla into a ODI opener & the emergence of De Kock (whicH relieves De Villiers of the keeping duties) its indeed a stress to accommodate Smith.

I'm guessing the obvious vulnerable man is Miller. Duminy late in the order can be a destructive finisher. So maybe bat Smith @ # 3 & Kallis, AB, JP drop a position down.

Although Philander can certainly bat well, i'd say Parnell's batting is slightly superior still. Of all the quicks on show Tstosobe was by far the least impressive & talented - so if Philander should come in for anyone (presuming they keeping and all-pace attack) - its LT.

I would probably bring Amla to 3 with Smith and de Kock opening. Amla bats there in tests and knows the position far better than Smith. Aside from that I agree with you :)

Brilliant bowling by Steyn. The reason SA is at the top of the Test rankings is Steyn. Sure we have other good players but he is in a class of his own. There is no pace bowler in the world that comes close to him. He just consistently bowls exceptionally well

This. This is probably the first time I have enjoyed watching a match in which India lost. Just because of that incredible opening spell from Steyn. I also remember that 3rd test in 2011 at Newlands in which it was Sachin vs Steyn head to head. I absolutely loved watching that inning of Sachin because he scored a ton against the most fiery fast bowling I have ever seen in my life from Steyn.

Steyn is in different league and as you said, there is no one even close to him right now. There were talks about James Anderson being equal but I don't think Anderson is anywhere near Steyn. I started watching cricket in early 2000 when Akram and Donald were almost at the end of their career so I can easily say that Steyn is the best fast bowler I have seen. Again, Glen McGrath was a brilliant bowler but for me, it's all about Dale Steyn.

Back on thread topic, India's batting will surely improve in next matches but our bowling is the worrying factor. I can see Umesh Yadav coming in for Mohit Sharma next game but he has been very wayward lately. He is our quickest bowler but leaks a lot of runs. However, if he gets it right, we all know how lethal he can be. We saw that in the champions trophy warm up match against Australia where he just rattled the Australian top order with sheer pace. Our death bowling is also shit which does not help. It is good that we are playing ODI's first. It is also a relief that most of these players will feature in that test 11 so they will have enough time to get used to these conditions.

We also need to rethink Ashwin in ODIs on unfriendly tracks. He doesn't maintain pressure or take wickets. At Jo'burg, he didn't seem to figure out the proper length to bowl and dropped it short too often. Jadeja is a better overall package and I really don't see the reason to play both Ashwin and Jadeja on tracks with zero grip. Unfortunately the only other fast bowler we have in the squad is Ishant, and I think we're all still scarred due to what he did the last time he was out on the field.[/QUOTE]

Very true... I don't think Ashwin is good enough bowler. If you analyze his career, most of his wickets have come against teams that hasn't been traditionally bad players of Spin.. He takes wickets on turning tracks against WI and everyone hail him as great and all that stuff.. As a good spinner (like Harbhajan) you should be able to take wickets on tracks that assist you and but also should be able to contain on tracks (say 40-45 runs even without a wicket is okay) on tracks that are like the ones in the wanderers. I feel that he place is not in danger not because he has been performing but other around him have given more than 70 runs on a average :)

India is the best team in the sub continent (at least now) but are pathetic outside it.

This is where you miss Shreesanth.:p
Anyways anyone know whereabouts of Varun Aaron, he looked like a good bowler with great pace too. He would have been a great pick in the squad too.

For tomorrow's game, India need to make some sweeping changes. First off, I would make the drastic change of dropping both Ashwin and Jadeja, and bring in both Ishant and Yadav for these two. Second, I would drop Mohit Sharma and bring in Ajinkya Rahane to beef up the batting.

Rohit
Dhawan
Kohli
Rahane
Yuvi
Dhoni
Raina
Bhuvi
Ishant
Yadav
Shami

If India have to resort to spin, Yuvraj/Raina/Rohit can bowl 10 overs between them. And our batting is beefed up to 7 batsmen, with Rahane brought in. 4 seamers is the way to go. And the variety here is good enough, with two raw pace (Yadav and Shami), one with some pace and beight (Ishant) and one with purely swing and workhorse purposes (Bhuvi). I wouldn't think of that horrid 30 run over that Ishant had in India. The conditions are vastly different. I don't expect Ishant to bowl as badly as that here in SA.

Last edited:
Anyways anyone know whereabouts of Varun Aaron, he looked like a good bowler with great pace too. He would have been a great pick in the squad too.

Oh have I not mentioned him already enough time? Ok, I will do it once more just for you.

Mumbai v Jharkhand, Ranji Trophy, Group A, Mumbai, 2nd day : How Varun Aaron's spell shook Mumbai's top order | Cricket News | Ranji Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo

Varun Aaron should have been picked as soon as he returned from injury which was about a month ago now. He has enough potential to start in that ODI 11. He is very good with reverse swing and especially he is brilliant the death bowling which is what we need. I don't know how many times I have said this but he should have been picked for this tour. This is where you will see the ral Varun Aaron. If you pick him on those flat Indian tracks, no matter how hard he tries, he won't be able to do as well as he can do here. These are the conditions which is made for him and Umesh Yadav. I would say go all out and attack with Umesh, Aaron and Shami. They all are genuine quick bowlers who can bowl around that 145 mark and for once actually fear the opposition with their pace.

I was very impressed with Mohit Sharma during last IPL and I even wanted him to play for India. However, he hasn't shown any potential at the international level that would make me pick him. He is surely talented but needs a couple of more season in domestic cricket I think. I menitoned this before as well that he is a seam bowler just like Shami Ahmed. He does not have speed of Shami but if the conditions are helpful, he would seam it around and he has often done that in ranji trophy. Though I am not seeing that in his bowling right now. I mean in that first ODI, he couldn't even pitch one ball with the upright seam. It was wobbling all the way, a bit like Ishant Sharma. Even Bhuvneshwar Kumar hasn't been that great lately and he is absolutely horrible at death bowling. It would be a bit harsh to drop him though right now so I would say for tomorrow's game, I would go for

Jadeja
Ashwin
B.Kumar
Umesh Yadav
Shami Ahmed

Well that display was pathetic in first ODI but still have faith in them turning things around. We did pretty well last time in ODI's when we went to Africa. We have done well in England,Australia too we will do good here too. But saying all this I will also say and be honest. We are losing Odi as well as test series.

England and Australia aren't as good as SA. India is going to get pummeled today as well, expect no less. The only way they could've had a chance is if they had practice games to get used to the conditions, but even then, it's iffy.

This series is the real test of Rohit Sharma. He has only really performed in India/the subcontinent. I'd like to say that it's also a test of Dhawan, but he hasn't played as many games as Rohit, so a failure in this series can't be used as much against him.

But I do want to say that Dhoni can fight hard with Sachin Tendulkar in staking the claim for the "best ever Indian ODI batsman". And Dhoni due to his batting spot, has won more games for India than Tendulkar. He bats brilliantly in all conditions. Hope MSD is as fit as today and as much in form as today, when the 2015 WC comes. We need him leading India into the WC, and he is our best chance at retaining the trophy for the first time ever! Dhoni when he hangs up his boots, will be hailed a 'legend' of the game purely for the way he plays the game, and for the way he conducts himself (even though his test game is not in the legendary league).

:lol:lol:lol

You are a funny guy .

If Dhoni wants to come anywhere near to being the best Odi batsman then he needs to come up the order , maybe number 3 . He comes at 6 and 7 . You cannot become the best by coming at 6 and 7 . You can only become Michael Bevan .

Last edited:
Change how many bowlers you want too, the opposition is going to score 300+. Shows how the next year is going to go for team India with all overseas tour with South African now then New Zealand then England and then Australia :facepalm

India needs to beef up its batting line up . The Indian bowling strength on the bench is not something that South Africa would loose their sleep over . They need to drop either Jadeja or Raina and get in one more batsman .

Ganguly used to do this very well . 7 good batters and 4 decent bowlers .

Umesh Yadav being so experienced and still above 6 an over I will once again say he is not fit for ODI side. PACE is not the only thing needed for all.

Well its 5.34 am in US and I thought it was going to be tough from Indian side but seems its going on same cause. 16/2 and Kohli out!! Less aggression lad less aggression!! Funny how rohit says watch the ball :lol

----------

Amazing bowling by Steyn!! Freaking Amazing!! Love seeing this kind of bowling truly a miles apart from anyone in this generation. Also sledging happens and Steyn will sledge but thats what perfect sledge is called. Amazing seeing him bowl!!

Users who are viewing this thread