harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
On TV I've seen the Australian and South African grounds and they often allow spectators to carry things into the grounds and they also get a lot of comfortable seating arrangements... and including grass banks.

I'm truly amazed at how well they treat the paying public who come to watch cricket. These countries treat sports lovers with so much respect. Besides there are not so much restrictions on the things people can carry into the grounds. It's something to be admired and appreciated.

Why is it that the BCCI has such strict rules in India and why does our authorities treat the paying public like crap? Why cannot, for instance, we carry cameras to the grounds? Why, even water cannot be carried by spectators on a hot, humid day.

Not to mention the sale of black tickets by unsavoury criminal elements. Even in the recent tennis tournament which happened in Chennai, genuine tennis lovers were unable to get seats for the finals/semi-finals because of these louts who buy up tickets in black and sell them at 1000% profit.

Isn't it time that the Indian sports loving public protested? I think it's about time that we in India demanded that our own cricket boards treat the paying public like crap before we cry about other countries treating Indians with respect. I understand that there's a huge population of cricket lovers here, but still, the authorities here have to make better arrangements for the paying public.

Also the illegal sale of tickets in black has got to stop all over India. I think this is an issue that really needs to be highlighted in the media. What do you guys think?

I don't mean for this to sound offensive in any way, and Im sorry if it seems that way. Is India where alot of the grounds have this large metal cage/fence between the crowd and the field?

I don't mean for this to sound offensive in any way, and Im sorry if it seems that way. Is India where alot of the grounds have this large metal cage/fence between the crowd and the field?

Yes, because of a few annoying elements who throw rubbish on to the field of play, the whole crowds have to suffer...

Unfortunately such issues rarely get the coverage they deserve.

Facilities at a lot of grounds (except the major ones) remain sub-par. Most of the reason for these restrictions is security.

Because the BCCI want to make as much money as possible. They aren't a cricketing network, they're totally after money, so they stop you bringing Cameras, Water, Food, whatever into the ground, meaning that you have to buy it there, making them more money.

Because the BCCI want to make as much money as possible. They aren't a cricketing network, they're totally after money, so they stop you bringing Cameras, Water, Food, whatever into the ground, meaning that you have to buy it there, making them more money.

I'm not sure whether it's the BCCI which rakes in the money or the home association.

BCCI usually are only interested in the television revenue.

The home associations are very greedy because they get rare opportunities like this to mint money. It's also a great opportunities for criminals to sell tickets in black and make huge profits, denying a lot of the public the chance to watch live action.

Unfortunately the public pays a huge price for supporting a game they love :mad:

I would've thought they didn't let you bring drinks in is because they want you to buy the stuff they sell at the stadium so they make more money. I think this is the case with alcohol at Australian grounds.

And isn't ticket scalping a problem all over the world not just INdia.

They tale advantage over there because they know you'll pay silly money to see cricket and have lunch there etc. Whereas in England I imagine if most people thought a days Test Cricket would cost them over £100 quid they just wouldn't bother. They're exploiting your love of cricket.

I would've thought they didn't let you bring drinks in is because they want you to buy the stuff they sell at the stadium so they make more money. I think this is the case with alcohol at Australian grounds.

And isn't ticket scalping a problem all over the world not just INdia.

Yes, but here the problem is worse because of the huge demand for a small number of seats...

Also there are so many grounds that we hardly get a single test match or ODI a year at one venue... by the policy of rotation.

They tale advantage over there because they know you'll pay silly money to see cricket and have lunch there etc. Whereas in England I imagine if most people thought a days Test Cricket would cost them over ?100 quid they just wouldn't bother. They're exploiting your love of cricket.

Luckily I'm personally not that keen on going to grounds anyway. ;)

I have been to one ODI match - India versus England in 2001 though.

Last edited:
They check our bags before we go in to make sure there isn't anything dangerous in there. You can bring your own food in though.

The same happens here. My bag was checked by a man on the gate before I could go into Trent Bridge last year and we were constantly reminded over the PA system that racism will not be tolerated and the stand I was in was alcohol free.

I took lots of sandwiches and biscuits, drinks too, all of which is acceptable with a decent amount of personal space.

I can understand the security measures though. That's required...

The same happens here. My bag was checked by a man on the gate before I could go into Trent Bridge last year and we were constantly reminded over the PA system that racism will not be tolerated and the stand I was in was alcohol free.

I took lots of sandwiches and biscuits, drinks too, all of which is acceptable with a decent amount of personal space.

The prices of food is absolutely ridiculous. A bottle of water is $4 (1.80 pound maybe?).

But yeah, before you go in, there's a whole lot of tables and you get your bag checked.

So much for security. Its alright if Pakistan is playing but TBH not allowing me to take my cellphone is absurd. BCCI does not make money from stadiums they get TV rights fees and sponsorship fees goes to local assosiations. We are lucky than most Indian fans that Mohali has good view spectator wise and anyone can chat with players standing at boundary. Comfort wise lower stands are all over India same but if you can spend some money then you are comfortably seated.
As far as taking your own stuff is concerned, its out of question. Assosiations will not allow you to even take bubblegum (they allow). We do not have any ground with grass banks cos we have damm 50000 people vying to get in where only 35000 can come easily.
Black marketing is mostly done by young students who are living out of hometown and as I found out at my workplace the young executives who change job at first instance line up the ticket window frrom 3AM in morning to get as many tickets as they can and live happily after that for 1 month.

Geez thats really tough not even being allowed your mobile phone!

They only check out bags here for sharp objects, glass bottles, cans, but everything else is fine.

I saw in India they set up plastic chairs. Why dont they just bulid chairs into the stadium like over here. As a result of these plastic chairs i saw the Indian crowd throwing them onto the field. (Does anyone else watch 'An Aussie go Bolly'? it was on that)

Also the police outside the grounds over there seem overly strict!

Mobiles, cameras, even video cameras are allowed into UK cricket grounds!

There isn't any grass banks here though, every ground has to be all seater after legislation passed after Hillsborough in 1989.

Users who are viewing this thread