India's coaching staff (Fletcher/Simmons) - Should they go?

That was not Wright, it was Rajput-Kirsten who lost 2-1. Under Wright in 2003, we levelled the series in Australia 1-1

----------

Fair enough but he did not have a old timer section to work with. Compare the squads and players in the peak of their careers will not give you that performances as ones in the end of their career.

People did not like Chappell cause he spoke the truth about Sehwag. Gifted but not a team player

We had to come this far for people to realise that Duncan Fletcher is a complete waste! I don't think we have done so worse under a particular coach. OR HAVE WE?

We are now losing series at home also.... And that too, to Pakistan. HOPELESS!

This is the worst performance ever. First we lose a Test series, then an ODI. Whats next ? Probably a series loss versus Bangladesh might just open the BCCI's eyes.

He was a great test match coach for England. I think results of late reflect the lack of bowling talent, athleticism and willingness to train hard. All of which Fletcher can do nothing about.

I didnt really think of him much, even when he was in charge of England. He made them a good Test side, but he screwed them in ODIs.

Ganguly for coach would be awesome. Ganguly the coach, Gambhir the test skipper, and Virat the ODI and T20 skipper would be amazing to see in the near future.

The closest thing to an insider's account of Fletcher's work comes from the recently retired Rahul Dravid, who told Cricinfo that "Duncan has a lot of strengths as a coach. He connects well with a lot of the players and works quite well with them. But, in some ways, the scope or power that he has to make decisions or to make selections has been a little limited." Dravid has suggested the BCCI should give Fletcher more power over selection and also make him more accountable for his actions.
How much influence does Fletcher actually have over the side?

Everyone's favorite topic is about the Indian senior trio - VVS Laxman, Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar. The next favorite topic is MS Dhoni's captaincy, followed by Sehwag, Gambhir and the bowlers. But no one seems to be pointing a finger at the coaching staff behind the team, namely Duncan Fletcher and Eric Simmons. I have been repeatedly trying to talk about it, but seems like no one else wants to pull up Fletcher and blame him. A coach can have a major influence on the environment within the team, and a coach can certainly influence the way the team plays.

Fletcher's last tour as coach to Australia before this horror series (that concluded recently) was with England for the Ashes in 2006-07. And he came back whitewashed. He then has been whitewashed two more times after that, with India whitewashed by England and by Australia now. In between under his coaching, India have failed to win comprehensively against a weak West Indies team both in West Indies and at home. Sample this against India's previous coach Kirsten, under whom recently India fought back hard and drew a series in South Africa. Fletcher enters the Indian setup, and everything goes rapidly downhill to the point where we are lost for answers and the problems keep compounding.

Regarding Eric Simmons, under him Indian bowling has not shown any signs of improvement. We continue to stray in line and length, we either bowl too short or too full, etc. For long, bowling has been India's perennial problem (the batting has surged forward in problems recently) but I have a feeling that Eric Simmons is a waste of time having as a bowling coach. We need a more assertive bowling coach who can impose himself onto the bowlers better and extract better work out of them.

In my opinion, both Fletcher and Simmons should go as a result of these two disastrous whitewashes and India must find a reliable coach and bowling coach immediately. Some suggestions would be having Shaun Pollock as the bowling coach, and Tom Moody (or) Stephen Fleming as the head coach.

Not Possible.

I dont think that changing the coach/captain would solve Team India's woes, the fact of the matter is they have a weak domestic setup which is incapable of harnessing the rare talent, and if there is a particular standout player when he gets on the international team he becomes overconfident and pompous like the Gambirs/Sehwags and now Kholi, ending up being another statistic.

The future certainly looks bleak for India, at the end of the year Sri Lanka are sure to pass them in the rankings, probably West Indies next year, if things continue we will see India being ranked under Bangladesh and NZ!

Kirsten is the guy that needs to be examined. Why did he succeed and not Fletcher? Was he just lucky to have a squad at their peak, and now that team is declining? Kirsten won the respect of the senior players like Chappell couldn't, but was that all?

Which coaches out there could do what Kirsten did? Or does India need a new style of coach to coincide with their ridding of the senior players. Maybe it's come full circle, and a Greg Chappell control freak type coach would be the guy to appoint right now. Ie. Try and shape a team for the future, instead of relying on keeping the current stars motivated.

Ganguly as coach might be an interesting idea. Ganguly has very good relations with Yuvraj, Sehwag who all came to the team under his captaincy and have a certain loyalty towards him. But Dhoni doesn't have that loyalty towards him, and it was also reported once (though most likely rumors) that Dhoni was part of ousting Ganguly from the Indian team for the ODI's, etc. In a country where camps/groups play a big part, having a captain who might not sync well with you can be disastrous.

But I am in favor of Ganguly as coach because he has that aggressive spirit and I want to see if he can back up what he speaks a lot in the media and in commentary. If Kohli is made captain, Ganguly and Kohli can be a super-hot combination, probably what India needs right now. Even if Gambhir is made captain, Ganguly might work well with him too. But I am not sure how Ganguly and Dhoni can work together as coach-captain.

England kept trying to change their coaches. Eventually they realised the entire domestic setup was badly thought out.

I firmly believe Fletcher is the wrong man, but really India's problems lie far deeper than simply isolating the coach.

Users who are viewing this thread