Instigators do not get punished enough - Anil Kumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE BEFORE COMMENTING-

Anil Kumble, the former India captain, has said the ICC's match referees don't seem to punish the instigators of on-field spats severely enough. He feels that too often the provocateurs escape with a light censure while players who react strongly are penalised severely.

Kumble expressed his views in his syndicated column after the completion of the Perth Test, during which three Australian players were fined while West Indian spinner Sulieman Benn was banned for two one-day internationals by match referee Chris Broad. Benn, Mitchell Johnson and Brad Haddin were involved in an ugly incident on the second day of the Test, which led to Benn's ban and Haddin and Johnson being fined 25% and 10% of their respective match fees.

The clash began with a run-in between the bowler Benn, who was moving across to field a drive, and the non-striker Johnson, who was taking off for a single. The contact seemed incidental, with neither man at fault, but Haddin appeared to inflame the situation after completing the run, when he pointed his bat at Benn.

The pair exchanged words and the sparks flew again two balls later, when Haddin drove the final ball of the over back to Benn, who shaped to throw at the striker's end even though Haddin was not taking off for a run. Haddin and Johnson had a mid-pitch meeting at the end of the over and Benn continued his remonstration, moving close to the batsmen and pointing at Haddin across the shoulder of Johnson.

There appeared to be some incidental contact between Johnson and Benn when Johnson moved to position himself between his partner and the bowler. Things became even uglier when Johnson pushed Benn away, following the initial contact. After stumps the West Indies captain Chris Gayle said he felt Benn had not initiated the physical clash.

"There doesn't seem to be any punishment forthcoming for someone who provokes and that to me is against the principles of natural justice," Kumble wrote. "The Australians always seem to get away. Whatever their transgressions on the field, invariably it is their opponents who end up paying a price. Somehow or the other, teams playing against the Aussies seem to invite the match referee's wrath."

Kumble cited the example of the Delhi Test in 2008, during which Gautam Gambhir was banned for a Test by match referee Broad because he elbowed Shane Watson, with whom he had verbal altercations before the incident. Gambhir also argued with Simon Katich in the same innings.

"In the Delhi Test against us, my last, the one that earned Gautam Gambhir a ban for having a go at Watson, the same umpire and the match referee were officiating," Kumble wrote. "At that time, the umpire Billy Bowden didn't see it fit to report Simon Katich who had later obstructed Gautam and the match referee Chris Broad too didn't bother to act on his own or follow it up with the on-field umpires even though it was very much evident on TV. And as on that occasion, the provocateurs got away in Perth too, with Haddin and Johnson receiving minor reprimands."

Source- Cricinfo

Sealed it there, Mr. Kumble :clap :hpraise

I think if a gentleman like Anil Kumble has come in the open and criticized people, it reflects the fact that people are getting too sick of all this nonsense.

EDIT- Topic name changed to avoid any slugfest

Last edited:
Aye, Haddin and Johnson got off lightly compared to Benn and it is unfair. All this really is, is bringing up (once again :sarcasm) how India were hard done by in that Delhi test which he mentions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Kumble. Players who react physcially should be punished severly, but those that also instigate should also be held responsible. Verbal exchanges are good for the game, as it shows the passion playing for ones country but it should have some limits.
A player should report if someone crosses the line verbally.

Ditto that.

Aye, Haddin and Johnson got off lightly compared to Benn and it is unfair. All this really is, is bringing up (once again :sarcasm) how India were hard done by in that Delhi test which he mentions.

Way to generalize. I think that Gambhir should been fined for what he did, not banned. That doesn't change the fact that I think that I think what he did was wrong. However, Watson and Katich weren't punished as they should have been for unnecessarily instigating that behavior. They were frustrated that Gambhir was smacking them to every corner of the ground and couldn't deal with it.

As for Australians generally getting off. I'm not going to post my opinion on that :).

Oh boo hoo, India don't get what they wanted :(. The fact that kumble says

during which Gautam Gambhir was banned for a Test by match referee Broad because he elbowed Shane Watson, with whom he had verbal altercations before the incident. Gambhir also argued with Simon Katich in the same innings.

completely shows he deserved the ban, he physically abused someone and had two verbal altercations? How can you defend that?

Way to generalize.

Ok, my post went over your head then. It was meant to generalise, just like the way the original thread title was generalising saying, "Australians always get away" or something along those lines. So thank you so very much, Mother Teresa a.k.a Shravi, Saviour of anything which might in the slightest bit offensive towards India, and feel you have to come barging in to comment on it......

Discipline in cricket thread turns into race war - nothing ever changes round here.

Yeah, getting quite stale tbh. People bring up generalizations from months past, pick on traits from the minority of members, and there's this whole schoolyard bullying type of deal going on which is really getting tiresome.

Let's change it up a little, guys. ;)

Discipline in cricket thread turns into race war - nothing ever changes round here.

would you care to do the honours?

cza1491l.jpg

The Aussie players dont like being played well against. If the opposition starts playing really well, they seem to resort to these tactics and are really clever to keep it under covers so that the opposition gets away with all the punishment. If you notice that video which shravi posted, Watson didnt like Gambhir stepping out to his bowling and also hooking for fours, and it was the same with Katich who didnt like Gambhir stepping out to him and hitting him for that four. I guess something similar happened in the recent test between Johnson, Benn and Haddin.

I am sure Kumble was also saying this keeping that Sydney test in mind where Harbhajan was instigated by Symonds and co. and all that incident happened. Harbhajan was definitely wrong, but its a clear case of taking advantage of a certain group's emotional weakness. "Mental disintegration" (coined by Steve Waugh) should be banned from cricket and the instigator should get the most severe punishment than the person who falls for the trap.

I am worried for Pakistan. Hope they are not given the same "verbal" treatment that most teams get when they tour Australia. Would love to see Pakistan give it back to Australia if they get it from them (here, I support Pakistan against Australia)

Last edited:
The Pakistani's don't come across as great sledgers. Maybe one or two guys but I can hardly see Yousuf or Younus (I know he is not playing) sledging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread