Interesting Cricinfo article- av 40 against all test nations

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Those are some records!!

I always asked myself if I ever become a pro cricketer who would I want to be like, 2 of the best of the best, Sachin or Ponting. I can add one more reason why it would be Ponting.

Great batsman, Great captain, Match winner, Cocky. Sachin is just good in personal ways, and on the book.

Robelinda

International Coach
It must have been great to be Viv, knowing that most fast bowlers didnt have the guts to bowl at your helmetless head, and when they did bounce you the ball was never found again, brilliance. The absolute arrogance of his drives down the ground off back and front foot was something to behold, short balls on off stump being slammed for four through mid on- you dont see ANY batsmen doing that since.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Ponting averages 20 in India.:eek:
Never knew that, and Sachin Tendulkar tops a list.:D

SA next, just improve your average there and you'll at the top.:D

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
shows how good and talented Rohan Kanhai was. While he might not be considered as great as many guys in that list he does have some good averages against many countries.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting to see Australian openers Bill Brown & Sid Barnes in that first list. I have always wondered what they could have become, if their careers where interrupted by the WW2.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
There you go another stats show. :p

Sachin averaged 60+ is tour of Australia few years back (Last Waugh series, 2004 I think) but those who saw the series knew he only had one good score in whole series and that was 248 not out which inflated his average.

These stats do not reveal full story.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors

Sachin averaged 60+ is tour of Australia few years back (Last Waugh series, 2004 I think) but those who saw the series knew he only had one good score in whole series and that was 248 not out which inflated his average.

I know this case, Sachin was averaging amidst 15-20 or something in 3 test matches with highest being in 40s and then he came up with a not out double century to boost his average by a mile.:D

and that was 241* and India made 705.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

So you mean to say that a 241 against aussies should be removed to get the clear picture of stats?? He had a bad patch, just a bad patch. He overcame it and scored a brilliant doublehundred. IF that inflates his hundred than so be it. If we gonna remove the big scores of player if they were poor in rest of the seires then you might wanna consider removing lara 400 from his avg against england coz it was his only big score in that series and that was the series where WI was bowled out for 45 in a innings too.:p

Robelinda

International Coach
Brilliant double hundred? It was as bad as Gary Kirtsen's 200 in 1998. Not a single 4 on the off side, an almighty struggle for Sachin the whole time, one of his most boring innings ever, BUT all credit to him for being out of form and curbing his strokeplay and making a huge score, but it was far from brilliant, you are insulting his other much more actually brilliant knocks. India batted too slow and too long, cost them the series. Why on earth they batted into the 3rd day to get 700 baffled many Aussies at the time, but we were happy.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Yea Tendy's 241 @ SCG 04 was worst double century i have ever seen & arguably one of Tendy's most least memorable innings.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
warne rates that double hundred as one of his best. The fact that he curbed his stroke playing and totally eliminated an area of his game (cover drive I think) that was causing him problems. He always brings that up when he's rating sachin. that's what makes him such a run machine.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Interesting indeed, Ponting might struggle to do the 50 against all nations with his current form being patchy and of course going to his least favourite place of India. Bradman stats are amazing as usual forget the 50 club hes in the 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread