Internet Service Provider

Which Internet Service Provider should my family get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hi, me and my family are thinking about getting a new Internet Service Provider. We currently have NTL Home Broadband, which has not really lived up to our needs. The other option we have is to get BT Broadband. I was wondering what the members here think we should do. :)

Depends wether you want limits on your internet connection or not. If you don't want limits, then the best one in terms of value for money is probably Tiscali. Avoid AOL like the plague.

I would agree about avoiding AOL. I tried to switch from Customnet broadband to AOL as it was a few pounds cheaper per month. However AOL totally messed up the installation date for it to be switched on (by about a month) and after ringing up to find out the date they did not even know the phone number of our line which needed to be activated with the service migration from customnet. Luckily we were able to cancel AOL and get Customnet switched back on before the line had been deactivated by them with the expiry of the MAC code.

The experience I had with the software using the dialup service wasnt a very good one either.

I have a BT/Yahoo broadband account, and have had no problems, before that I used BT dial-up for about 4 years

BT Broadband mate, the only problem we ever had was when the router box died and thats normal, its really good!

Well I had AOL once and it didn't work for me! It was confusing and didn't really work properly!

I have a 10ft BT Pole outside my bedroom window, and I'd have to get a BT phone number to get it. They have offers to keep your existing number though.

Skateboarder2 said:
I have a 10ft BT Pole outside my bedroom window, and I'd have to get a BT phone number to get it. They have offers to keep your existing number though.
That could be a problem. If there isn't a BT socket already in your house, then you'd have to fork out big money to be connected. And you need a BT phone socket for any other ISP that isn't NTL or Telewest.

andrew_nixon said:
The problem with BT is that they put limits on your monthly usage.
BT monthly limit is currently 15Gb a month, that's a lot of downloading

No, don't think I have ever got anywhere near that either. I don't bother checking.

Users who are viewing this thread