Interview with Surrey Youngster, Stuart Meaker - Interview Posted.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
94092.jpg

(c)Cricinfo. Stuart Meaker bowls for Surrey on his debut in late 2008.

As you may remember on May 26th, PlanetCricket announced an exclusive interview with young Surrey fast bowler, Stuart Meaker. Who is tipped as one of the brightest young fast bowling stars in the country. In his last game for Surrey against Northants, he took 4/59 in the second innings to help Surrey secure a much needed victory after Tremlett had been the catalyst for this taking 3 wickets in just 9 balls. We can now announce the interview has been conducted and is here for all to read.

---------------​

You made your first class debut at the back end of the 2008 domestic season, how was the experience of making your first class debut? How were you feeling when you went to the field and bowled your first delivery?

It was nerve wrecking making my debut, not only because it was my first game but also because I was told that I had to take the new ball ahead of one of the games all time greats in shoaib Akhtar.​

If you had to sum up life as a bowler in English County Cricket in a couple of words, what would they be and why?

"It's a batsman's game". It's no secret that pitches are much flatter and slower than what they used to be. More days of cricket means more ticket sales. On top of that as a bowler you're putting your body under enormous strain and are therefore far more prone to injury.​

What has been the toughest challenge you have faced on the cricketing field and What has been your greatest achievement?

The toughest challenge I've faced is the strain of having to get up day after day despite my body screaming at me for rest and having to go out and perform at a high tempo. Greatest achievement will have been my first 5 for that i got against gloucestershire early on this year!!​

Who are your cricketing heroes and inspirations?

Alan Donald is my cricketing hero and more recently Dale Steyn. I hope one day I can get to their kind of level of fast bowling!​

Who do you rate as the best batsman and best bowler you have played with or against?

Batsmen is easily Mark Ramprakash. He is the ultimate proffesional even now at the age of nearly 41! Best bowler will easily be Shoaib Akhtar. One of the few to have bowled over 100mph.​

It is well known fact, that the England Team uses a buddy system, where a batsmen helps mentor one of the bowlers to become better batsmen, Does anything like this occur at Surrey? Do you focus on batting as much as bowling or is one more important than the other?

I wasnt aware of that no. There isn't anything like that at Surrey although it does sound like a good idea. I think its a little more difficult to do that at surrey because a lot of how much you train is down to you and it would be difficult to have a buddy that live over 2 hours away which can often be the case when playing for a london club!​

What would you say is your favourite format of cricket to play in? And do you believe Test Cricket is still at the forefront of every young players' mind as a goal?

I would say that I probably enjoy the longer form of the game more than the shorter format. Its slightly more of an even game for bowlers rather then the run fests that seem to be occurring more and more in one day cricket. I wouldnt say that it (Test Cricket) is at the forefront of every young players mind. Certainly the vast majority of them aspire to become test cricketers but some of them are just more naturally gifted at striking a cricket ball than others and are therefore inclined to prefer the one day format.​

With the effects of T20, how do you see bowling - fast bowling specifically - change in the future?

T20 has actually had a negative effect on fast bowling in my opinon because as we have seen that anything with pace usually goes the distance especially on these flatter pitches. The T20 format has brought back the medium and slower pace into the game because it is often much harder to hit into the stands​

How does a fast bowler stay fit and healthy through the course of the long cricketing season (and the off season)? How important is pure physical strength when trying to bowl fast? Do you believe there is a key to bowling genuinely quickly?

To bowl quickly you have to have a strong core. You don't have to be overly big to bowl fast. Its often the more athletic who become fast bowlers because they can cope with the strains and forces on the body whilst having the strength to bowl the ball at speed. Look at Dale Steyn for example. You wouldn't say that he is the biggest guy in the world but he can still bowl at over 90mph. You do have to be very fit these days to cope with the long season and getting miles and strength in the legs is probably the most important.​

The Kolpak ruling is one of the most controversial in English cricket, but what impact has Andre Nel had on your game? Was there a single moment, or implementation of a technique that really helped you gain pace?

I wouldn't say Andre has had a great deal to say about my bowling technique. He has helped me with my general awareness of the game and what to bowl in different circumstances and conditions. As you would expect from a seasoned pro.​

How important do you think it is for a fast bowler to have a good yorker and deceptive slower deliveries? How much time do you spend practicing
them?

It's very improtant these days. When the pitch doesnt offer a bowler very much help then sometimes you need to take the pitch out of the equation and that's when it helps to have a good quick yorker in your arsenal. In another way the slower ball is vital in the shorter format when batsmen are swinging at the ball very hard a subtle change in pace can be very hard to deal with. Whenever I have nets before a T20 or Pro40 I make sure i go through all my variations to feel confident that im bowling them well.​

Our final question, what tips would you give to any young budding fast bowler?

For any young fast bowler trying to make his way in the game I would have to say that the biggest thing you can do to improve your game is to practice hitting the right areas. Practice, practice and more practice. Then when it finally comes to bowling in a game you can be confident that you have already done the necessary practice and it wont feel weird and alien when u run into bowl during the match. So many times I ran into bowl during a game not feeling confident about my action and i started thinking too much about what to do with my arms and wrist instead of actually concentrating on where to pitch the ball. The more you can focus on where to bowl the ball rather than thinking too much about your action the easier and more natural it becomes. Sounds obvious but its not as easy as it sounds.​

---------------​

PlanetCricket would like to thank Stuart for his co-operation when conducting this interview and hopes that he enjoyed answering your questions. We hope that the PC members can take a lot of help and have learnt something about like as a fast bowler in English Domestic Cricket.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Nice interview. Bit annoyed that you didn't ask him some tough questions like would you rather IPL contract or a test cap.

P

pcfan123

^ Yea good interview but the answers all seem to be the generic response. Sort of like the cricket stories on PC :laugh

He obviously has not played against too many great players either if he thinks Ramps is all that.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Good interview there, good to see my question was answered in a relatively long paragraph :D

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
nice interview there, Mark Ramprakash the best batsmen, surely the level of cricket at Surrey is low. Though it's his opinion.
I agree with most of his answers.:)

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Mark Ramprakash the best batsmen,

To be honest, if people had been watching the county season at all, he has been an absolutely fantastic batsman recently for Surrey. He currently tops the run scoring list for the County Championship Division 2 and has an average of 77. He has actually scored the most runs in the country to date in both leagues combined.

He had an average of 90 the year before that in the 11 games he played and then in 2008 he scored 1235 runs @ 61.75 in the year Surrey got relegated to Division 2. He had the highest average and 4th highest runs.

Last edited:

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
I know all this, Mark has been the best batsman for Surrey in all these years. Still being the best, I don't think so.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
What do you mean? Stuart Meaker has obviously played at County level but he hasn't played too many games. For him to say Mark Ramprakash is the best batsman he has played with or against is quite understandable as he's a first-class king, and one of the best going around in county cricket.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
I know all this, Mark has been the best batsman for Surrey in all these years. Still being the best, I don't think so.

The man has 112 FC centuries, he's no slouch. He is definitely the best batsman going around the county scene, which is where Meaker has played all his Cricket.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
He was pretty average at INT level, I just wanna say Hasn't any better overseas player had played for Surrey in all those years.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
^Ahh, I just laughed at the post because I'm hearing that from a person who isn't even active in these type of forums and saying that my last few posts are annoying.
Why not ban these type of persons who just post to get their post count increased and ends up making a joke of themselves.

You're utter idiot man.:facepalm

PS:report this post, I won't even mind, Even if I'd get an infraction, I'd be happy.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
PS:report this post, I won't even mind, Even if I'd get an infraction, I'd be happy.
Do you think you sound like a tough guy when you say stuff like that? Honestly man, grow up a little. That's just a silly statement.
I just wanna say Hasn't any better overseas player had played for Surrey in all those years.
Stuart Meaker only debuted two years ago and has only played a handful of games since, so as I said it's quite understandable that Ramprakash is the best he's experienced so far, heck he's probably the best many county bowlers have played with or against.

Good interview BTW Ollie :p

manee

Chairman of Selectors
He obviously has not played against too many great players either if he thinks Ramps is all that.

You look at what Ramps has done in County cricket over the past few years, it is unmatched by anyone, past or present.

Users who are viewing this thread