Is being a test-opener toughest job in Cricket ?

GOOD DISCUSSION. And I don't believe taking Bang/Zimb out of analysis is the right way to go. As people have said earlier, there were weak teams around when the likes of Hobbs and so on were playing. To judge players over their careers as openers should include all teams but I do not mind a cut off of runs or matches, because that makes sense. You can't have someone playing 5 tests, averaging over 50 and then comparing him to Gavaskar and co.

Anyway, onto the main point, Test openers is right up there as one of the toughest jobs in Test cricket but number 3s often face similar problems as do high quality fast bowlers in very tough conditions, which only makes the achievements of the likes of Akram, Younis and Khan even more amazing.

----------

On the matter of the English bowling attack, it is very good compared to current attacks but sadly that isn't saying much. We have seen these same bowlers fail outside of England (yes yes I did see the Ashes but 1 series isn't enough) and we all saw what happened in limited overs in the WC. SAs attack is the only one I would call truly world beating.

I think it was Shane Watson's brutal 185 recently that turned me around a little bit about eliminating Bangladesh from analysis. Most of his runs in that innings came against 2 very well regarded spinners: Razzak and Shakib in their home conditions, so it's not as though he was pummelling some lame bowlers on a flat Adelaide pitch.

Anyway, I agree. Batting in the top 3 is hard, and that's why I have extra respect for guys like Ponting who stayed at #3 compared to guys like Lara and Kallis who started up high, but seemed to drift down as their careers went on. Openers: Even better!

There is no way that being a test opener is the toughest job in cricket, at least these days thats for sure. Fast bowling is always the toughest, mentally and physically especially if you look at the pitches (more like roads) they have to bowl on.

----------

I thought the question was talking about in this era, if you are talking pre 2000s era then yeah openers and top 3 batsman did have a pretty tough job. I miss those days..

There is no way that being a test opener is the toughest job in cricket, at least these days thats for sure. Fast bowling is always the toughest, mentally and physically especially if you look at the pitches (more like roads) they have to bowl on.

----------

I thought the question was talking about in this era, if you are talking pre 2000s era then yeah openers and top 3 batsman did have a pretty tough job. I miss those days..

I agree but still batsmen have to face quality bowling under superb bowling conditions.
Cricket is now turning 65% batsmen way. You have all the protection, you have mostly dead rubbers to bat on and bowler are not in the class of Ambrose, Marshall, Walsh, Waqar, Wasim etc.

I agree but still batsmen have to face quality bowling under superb bowling conditions.
Cricket is now turning 65% batsmen way. You have all the protection, you have mostly dead rubbers to bat on and bowler are not in the class of Ambrose, Marshall, Walsh, Waqar, Wasim etc.

Yes, but still, I think batting at Number 3 and 4 is the toughest job, especially in test cricket.

Personally, having the patience to play test cricket is hard. I can't bat more than 10 balls without smashing. It takes lots of skill and experience

Personally, having the patience to play test cricket is hard. I can't bat more than 10 balls without smashing. It takes lots of skill and experience

Well then, I'm glad that I pretty much have some of that skill. I can bat as long as 35 overs (thats the longest period of time I'd remained not out for). :p

Users who are viewing this thread