IPL Is Matthew Hayden the best Twenty20 batsman of alltime?

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well Ben is not between us to carry on "Hayden best T20" poem. :noway

UV! King of T20 > Hayden (T20) ;)

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Bit hard to be using all time seeing how young T20 is. But easily the best batter to have played T20 cricket, his average says it all. Just a shame he doesn't have a T20 WC trophy to go with his title.

Agree with this, wholeheartedly.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
For once, I am wanting to agree with Ben but Hayden is not quite up there at No.1 but he can certainly be one of the top 3 of all time. The brutal force hitting and the intimidating personality all creates terror. If he is in the opposition, he is someone you would love to hate (all these years, I have hated him because he has been so good).

For once, we're on the same side Ben.;)

deerkick

Club Cricketer
I disagree. McCullum's not in the top 5 for me. If McCullum's in the top 1 or 2 T20 Batsmen in the world, then Graham Napier should be as well. 1 good innings does not make a player world class. Hayden's one of the best, but you could contest the fact that he's the best. He's certainly not 'definitely' the best.

I never said he was in the top 5. I simply said he could have been the best after that 150 odd. But yeah you're right I can't make that sort of judgement after one wonderful innings. He hasn't been bad in international t20s though.

As for Hayden, I honestly don't see anyone else closing in on him as the best t20 batsman (if we're going by his current form).

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He's certainly up there, but with only 21 games to his name, I'd be tempted to go for a player that's played more games. Someone like Brad Hodge leaps to mind. 64 games, 2163 runs at 41 with 1 hundred and 16 50's at a strike rate of 132. Amazed he's not in the Australian T20i side, as he's definitely one of the best T20 players you'll find. Graeme Smith's probably up there as well. 1528 runs at 34.72 with a hundred and a strike rate of 125. Andrew Symonds has also been excellent, with an average of 49 plus 2 hundreds and a strike rate of 179. I'd probably say the best is between Hayden, Hodge and Symonds. My top 3 would probably be:

1. Andrew Symonds
2. Brad Hodge
3. Matthew Hayden

There's not much between them though tbh. I'm amazed that only 1 of them is in the T20 World Cup squad as well. Hodge should definitely be in, and Australia should have tried to get Hayden to play in the World Cup as well. Hayden opening with Warner would have been excellent. Then with a middle order of Watson, Ponting, Hodge, Symonds and Haddin Australia would surely have been one of the favourites.

Symonds certainly has a good record, and with the 100s you could put him above Hayden. But it is hard to go past the consistency of Hayden. He is scoring a 50 almost every 2nd match. All he needs is a 100 to compete his amazing stats. When looking at the highest level, Hayden is again more consistent than Hodge and Symonds. It's just a shame he won't be able to add to that telly as that could count against him in the future when we think of the best T20 batter.

My top 3 would be
Hayden
Symonds
Hodge

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Symmo proves his class in T20 once more. Another 60* should probably bump his average up to over 50. I'd say he's the best in the world tbh. Offers more in the field and with the ball than Hayden as well.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Hayden wins just because of the Chennai connection. :banana2

He he, yeah... Had he still been with Australia, he would be nowhere close to the best in the world.:p

Seriously, Hayden has been utterly brilliant this IPL. And Chennai is lucky to have him in their side. But the whole side has revolved around him, used his form and have moved forward themselves too. This time with Hayden there for the whole tournament, I fancy Chennai's chances to have a good crack at the trophy. Dhoni's captaincy and Hayden's form is already proving deadly.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Hayden's power is one of the things which amazes me. Even during 2007 WCup, I liked the way he attacked the bowlers by just walking down the pitch. " The Power ", which he has got has indeed made him a big man. Though its not wresting or street fighting, all he had to do was to make a right contact with the ball and it just disappears with ease.:p

This(body physique) is thing which is lacking in most of the Indian players.. rather the subcontinent players! :rolleyes: Only few does look like big men to me... Sanath Jayasuriya,Tendulkar, Dhoni have great forearms to generate more power while hitting. Yusuf Pathan is also turning out nicely.:cool:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
^^ what the feck? :eek:
What about Dhoni,Raina,Morkel ?

May be he used to watch only Hayden's batting and switch off the tv after that.. :p

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Symonds certainly has a good record, and with the 100s you could put him above Hayden. But it is hard to go past the consistency of Hayden. He is scoring a 50 almost every 2nd match. All he needs is a 100 to compete his amazing stats. When looking at the highest level, Hayden is again more consistent than Hodge and Symonds. It's just a shame he won't be able to add to that telly as that could count against him in the future when we think of the best T20 batter.

My top 3 would be
Hayden
Symonds
Hodge

I've been working on some stuff looking at T20 batsmen lately and Symonds and Hayden seem to have the best record. They've scored big and fast at International and domestic level.

Hodge on the other hand hasn't impressed in his limited international chances so I don't think he can get worshipped as an awesome player. Internationals count, otherwise I'd nominate Ian Harvey as one of the greatest all time T20 players. Well actually I have.

After crunching some numbers (combining international and domestic T20s with a weighting bias towards internationals), I came up with 22 nominees for greatest ever based on just stats:
Australia (9) - Andrew Symonds, David Warner, Matthew Hayden, Ian Harvey, Cameron White, Shaun Marsh, Justin Langer, Adam Gilchrist and Brad Hodge.
Bangladesh (1) - Mohammad Ashraful
England (2) - Marcus Trescothick, Graeme Hick
India (3) - Yusuf Pathan, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh
New Zealand (3) - Craig McMillan, Ross Taylor, Brendon McCullum
Pakistan (1) - Imran Nazir
South Africa (1) - Loots Bosman
Sri Lanka (1) - Sanath Jayasuriya
West Indies (1) - Chris Gayle

Some of those guys get nominated for an awesome domestic record like most of the Australians: Harvey, White, Marsh, Langer and Hodge, as well as Trescothick, Bosman and Yusuf Pathan but the others have mostly made a mark in internationals.

From those 22, my chart spat out a top 6 of:
Symonds
Hayden
Trescothick
McMillan
Hick
Taylor

Would make a very handy batting lineup: Hayden & Trescothick opening, then Hick, Symonds, Taylor and McMillan. Awesome.

And in the interests of having a no subcontinent bias to my post, I'm sure a lineup of Sehwag and Jayasuriya opening, then Imran Nazir, Raina, Yuvraj and Pathan would be just as awesome too :D

Users who are viewing this thread