Do you find the word monkey offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • It matters how its used

Votes: 38 44.2%

• Total voters
it depends how the word is used and whn it is used, and what other words are used alongside it.
what i dont get is how a person being black has anything to do with the word monkey or the animal in general. seriosuly if calling somebody a monkey is a racial slur than if someone calls a white dude a polar bear than that should be racial too.

The answer is just one of your poll option. It matters how its used

No.
I guess its different in other parts..

exactly. In Australia we are pretty loose with our language. b**tard is commonly used. When a bowler is aggravated at a good batsman he might say "hurry up and get out you b**tard", which is not meant as a direct insult to the player as it is just a general frustration. Another example is Australia's "Where the bloody hell are you?" ads, which received massive uproar in the UK because they thought the language was vulgar and aggressive, when in Australia it is really commonplace.

I think it should be that the visiting teams should respect the home nation's culture. If India comes out here and hears the b-word they should just accept that it is part of our culture to be loose of the tongue. But if Australia goes to India, I am sure they would respect India's culture and be tight-lipped the whole way through their stay! It's merely down to respecting the HOME nation's culture. Don't bring a team over here if you aren't going to accept our culture, simple as that!

exactly. In Australia we are pretty loose with our language. b**tard is commonly used. When a bowler is aggravated at a good batsman he might say "hurry up and get out you b**tard", which is not meant as a direct insult to the player as it is just a general frustration. Another example is Australia's "Where the bloody hell are you?" ads, which received massive uproar in the UK because they thought the language was vulgar and aggressive, when in Australia it is really commonplace.

I think it should be that the visiting teams should respect the home nation's culture. If India comes out here and hears the b-word they should just accept that it is part of our culture to be loose of the tongue. But if Australia goes to India, I am sure they would respect India's culture and be tight-lipped the whole way through their stay! It's merely down to respecting the HOME nation's culture. Don't bring a team over here if you aren't going to accept our culture, simple as that!

Nicely said but im sure India doesnt call people monkeys

It wall depends when it is used. And I am really sure that if it was Symonds who said the same thing or any other Aussie player said this to andy Indian player, that player would surely have been banned!

In India, monkey is used at the drop of a hat; like donkey, owl (it has more meaning in hindi). It is not offensive.

In Australia, I can understand that it could be considered racist amongst black people. Similarly, B-tard, is considered an insult in India as it is an insult to one's dignity, pride and family.

Personally, I don't find either word offensive and I'm sure there has been so much more said on a cricket field that has gone un-noticed in the past.

Wrong - It is the team that is at home, who are the "hosts" to the visiting team, or "guests".

For example, if somebody comes to your house, and asks you where the bathroom is, are you going to expect them to know where it is, or are you going to explain to them - take a right down the hall.

Same thing in a way. When India came, how are they to know Australians find "monkey" offensive. Although Singh should not have done it, and for all we know, he may have not done it, but its debatable. Indians aren't familiar with the customs of Australia. What do you expect? Sreesanth to read a book on etiquettes (sp?) in Australia?

But did you guys see on the Cricket Show where the aussie was going angry and everything with the indian crowd and they put they middle finger out when symonds got out first ball. So the people who say no to this would you like this done to you when your playing a cricket "game" and when i define game its ment to be fun not a war

Wrong - It is the team that is at home, who are the "hosts" to the visiting team, or "guests".

For example, if somebody comes to your house, and asks you where the bathroom is, are you going to expect them to know where it is, or are you going to explain to them - take a right down the hall.

You are wrong. You household analogies hold no ground in international sport. Whilst you are a GUEST in someone else's house, you must respect THEIR house rules. You must respect the rules of the host. If you go to a dinner party at someone's house, and they always pray before meals, you do not simply start eating whilst they are praying. Even if it is not your religion, you simply sit and wait. You must respect the rules and culture of the HOST. That's the way foreign politics works, it is applicable to international conduct of all types, including sport!

If you go to another country, do you just assume that those people will adapt to YOUR culture. No. It's like the rule for immigration (although thats debatable seeing as we let just about anyone into Australia these days); If you are going to come to our country, you don't come and segregate yourself, you put the effort in to successfully assimilate (perhaps the wrong word since we aren't talking long term...maybe...blend in!) into the host country.

So what, lets hypothetically say that in Country A it is acceptable in their culture to beat women. If country A goes to Country B for a tour, they should expect country B to accept their culture and allow them to beat women in a country that isn't even theirs? Simply put, the answer is NO. The respect goes to the host! I think the teams should stick to that rule, and also follow the old saying:

"If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything."

Last edited:
Like the username ^

Anyway I think in most places calling a black person a monkey is offensive because of widespread racist slurs and chants like in spain they have chanted monkey to Henry, England Football, Eto and England U21 I think, Only to the black players.

So over time calling a black person a monkey has become racist, I have been called a monkey befor didn't offend me one bit...well it did a bit because my ears stick out.

I can assure you that most Indians do not know Eto or Henry or arguably, even the teams that they play for. You have grown up in that culture, so you have the luxury of knowing and understanding its complexities. Our culture works in a different way. It seems that 'b-----d' is not a particularly offensive term in England or Australia, but it is exceedingly insulting here, since we live in a more traditional and conservative society that places significant importance on family values. I don't know if Bhajji used the world 'monkey', but if he did, he made a mistake. I don't think he should be labeled a racist for it and I don't know if hearsay was enough to warrant the punishment he received. I hope, for the sake of fairness, that Hogg is subjected to the same scrutiny and the extent of the Code.

In India Monkey is worshiped as a GOD. Its noway offensive for us.

Let me post picture for you all.

hanuman.jpg

Jai Hanuman.

Users who are viewing this thread