Do you find the word monkey offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • It matters how its used

Votes: 38 44.2%

• Total voters
I don't reckon monkey is a racist term to call someone, and I'll even admit in certain poses Symonds does resemble one a little. I think it's more the fact that it caused such trouble in the series in India, and there was no way that Harbhajan wouldn't have known about the trouble that the monkey term caused in India, but he's chosen to use it anyway. It's either racism or pure stupidity from Harbhajan.

I'll explain why I consider it absolutely deplorable that he may or may not have called him a monkey, yeah?

Basically, if you go right back to slavery, it's often what African slaves were termed because of their colour and facial features. The reason for this was because they were considered second class to the white man - Monkey being the step down from Human in the evolutionary scale. Then onwards into the 70's Black football players had banana's thrown at them by racist fans in Britain, because again they felt that black, West Indian, African people were second class citizens.

So over here, I consider it possibly the second most offensive term to call anyone of African descent. Because it connotates that they are a second class citizen because of their colour.

However, this is obviously not the case in Indian. So the ICC clearly needs to set down some concrete rules on what will be considered racist and what won't be.

Animator!, you are a legend. That post is a cracker - well said.

It might have racist connotations, but then you can twist any word to have a racial connotation under the cirumstances.

This issue should have never got beyond the cricket field.

Funny thing is I was shocked that Ponting complained. Because none of the players seemed agitated while the event was actually taking place.

So no wonder we Indians on this board are getting so worked up.

Do you understand why we find it so hard to digest the ICC's ban on Harbhajan?

It might have racist connotations, but then you can twist any word to have a racial connotation under the cirumstances.
:rolleyes:
Funny thing is I was shocked that Ponting complained. Because none of the players seemed agitated while the event was actually taking place.
He's the captain, duh. Its called sticking up for a mate.

I'll explain why I consider it absolutely deplorable that he may or may not have called him a monkey, yeah?

Basically, if you go right back to slavery, it's often what African slaves were termed because of their colour and facial features. The reason for this was because they were considered second class to the white man - Monkey being the step down from Human in the evolutionary scale. Then onwards into the 70's Black football players had banana's thrown at them by racist fans in Britain, because again they felt that black, West Indian, African people were second class citizens.

So over here, I consider it possibly the second most offensive term to call anyone of African descent. Because it connotates that they are a second class citizen because of their colour.

However, this is obviously not the case in Indian. So the ICC clearly needs to set down some concrete rules on what will be considered racist and what won't be.

Animator, you are a legend my friend. Nice post - thats why it is racist...Even if Indians dont know it, they shouldnt keep calling him knowing Symonds doesn't appreciate it.

He's the captain, duh. Its called sticking up for a mate.
So you guys talk about crybabies among Indian fans when Ponting has been the biggest one of them all...

but's it's not OK if Kumble and the Indian team management stick up for Harbhajan?

Superb logic.

This issue should have never got beyond the cricket field.

So no wonder we Indians on this board are getting so worked up.

Do you understand why we find it so hard to digest the ICC's ban on Harbhajan?

Symonds didn't seemed agitated when he got monkey chants in Indian tbf. I don't think he was happy, but I don't think anyone would like to see an angry Andrew Symonds on a cricket field because it'd probably be following by the slaughter of the other 21 players by him in a rage. Has anyone read the statements released by Gilchrist and Symonds?

So you guys talk about crybabies among Indian fans when Ponting has been the biggest one of them all...

but's it's not OK if Kumble and the Indian team management stick up for Harbhajan?

Superb logic.

For crying out loud......

Oh what's the point, people are just going to keep posting comments, asking for fights

Symonds needs to harden up, gives it out but can't take it back it is how I see it. I don't find monkey to be offensive and not until late last year I even knew that it was potentially racist.

He doesn't need to toughen up. That's a pathetic remark. He's apparently been subjected to racial abuse, I'm now going to make sure that you all realise that I am not condeming Harbhajany saying he knew what the connotations what he was say were. He may well have said it innocently, nevertheless that's still going to be very offensive to someone of African descent so everyone who's telling him to toughen up can go get real.

Users who are viewing this thread