Adam Gilchrist's book (merged threads)

This is yet another blatant example of his quotes being taken out of context. Nowhere in that article even does he call Murali a chucker, there's not even any criticism of Murali. All he said was that he thought the ICC did too much to accommodate him.

Once again, people say something based on the article's title without even reading the article in question. Some of you guys are a journo's dream, believing everything you read without even finishing the article.

I still find this hypocritical witch hunt to be over the top, it's his autobiography FFS, he can write what he wants, but everything he's been accused of saying has been sensationalistic crap and has been taken out of context.

I, for one, have read every article that has been written about his book and save for completely fictional reporting, I think there have been a few quotes that clearly suggest Gilchrist's views. Here are two direct quotes from his book:

"I don't think he's personally to blame: he bowled the way he bowled, and it was not up to him to do any more than he was asked," Gilchrist wrote in his newly published book True Colours. He said though the argument that Murali's suspect action was an optical illusion was legally correct, it was a "direct attack to the spirit of the game".

"As much as I like Murali, my sympathies lay more with those batsmen, from every other nation, whose careers suffered because of a bowler who was in technical breach of the rules and seemed to enjoy a kind of political protection."

I have removed this quote from a "sensationalist backdrop". These are direct quotes from his autobiography, which is depicted by the quotations marks. From here, if you cannot see that Gilchrist is insinuating that Murali was "protected" by the ICC, then you either cannot comprehend English or are blind. And this view is ignorant, given that the ICC's research showed that the old rules were pretty poor and random to begin with. A man of Gilchrist's stature should not be making such ridiculously ignorant remarks.

By the time I get the book, every think is already going to be told in the papers. Very interesting I think. :D

I read today something about Muralitharan Gilly said he is a chucker

He doesnt use the word "chucker" although he does indirectly mean Murali chucks and that his chucking was allowed to continue because of the ICC bending of the laws.

What next? Something about some Pakistani players? First he hit India, then Sri Lanka.:p That was in light humor, although chances are it could be true.

Out of interest what was his reaction to use of lozengers to reverse swing the ball in the 05 ashes...

Out of interest what was his reaction to use of lozengers to reverse swing the ball in the 05 ashes...

I believe he said they cheated and that it was the worst thing since Bodyline. He says that is the only reason he played poorly in the 05 Ashes. The mints distracted him.

I hope you are kidding Gillyfan :p

I don't think it is a suprise that Gilly would think Murali chucks. Nor is it suprising that he should feel that way of the Indian cricketers. What is suprising is that he would say it. He may have retired, but he still has a reputation as a gentleman, as a fair sport, etc. He hasn't done himself a favour by publishing these thoughts. He is entitled to his opinion, but he has tarnished his image in doing so.

Gilly is using big cricketing names to sell his book.And because of the 'so-called' controversies creating,I believe many would take to the book the moment it hits the stands.

ACC should ask for royalty as lot of spice coming out from here.

I hope you are kidding Gillyfan :p

I don't think it is a suprise that Gilly would think Murali chucks. Nor is it suprising that he should feel that way of the Indian cricketers. What is suprising is that he would say it. He may have retired, but he still has a reputation as a gentleman, as a fair sport, etc. He hasn't done himself a favour by publishing these thoughts. He is entitled to his opinion, but he has tarnished his image in doing so.

You may have noticed a hint of sarcasm in that post. ;)

I bought the book today, only read the intro and prologue but so far seems like he's really opening up, the intro is fittingly about how people judge others based on the smallest of things, and on perceptions, and feel they know things about strangers.

I believe he said they cheated and that it was the worst thing since Bodyline. He says that is the only reason he played poorly in the 05 Ashes. The mints distracted him.

The minty freshness of Shane Warne's breath is distracting to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread