Do you find the word monkey offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • It matters how its used

Votes: 38 44.2%

• Total voters
yup it's the last thing you want to call a "african" guy. Even though I may call my "black" friend monkey as I would to my "white", he may take it the other way because of all the history behind it.

I'm agree 100% with Animator's posts. The debate seems to have moved on in the Indian camp from not whether the term was offensive, which seems to have been accepted, but to whether Harbhajan actually said it or not. It's his and Tendulkar's word against Ponting and Symond's.
Bearing in mind the recent history between the two sides and what happened in India it's hard to believe Harbhajan's claim he didn't actually say it.

When the term monkey is aimed towards anyone of black descent its offensive, no matter the circumstances. Racial slur's are not acceptable, especially on the cricket field, Harbhajan should be ashamed to be honest.

<_<

How is it racist if you don't know its racist? Isn't racist intentions bad, not saying a word that could connote a racist meaning even though you didn't mean to be racist? I don't understand this, I call my Indian/Paki friends monkeys, am I being racist?

Good question. If a black man refers to himself and others in a derogotary manner is he being racist?
Also, consider Harbhajan himself is brown skinned. So calling Symonds a monkey, I mean, wouldn't it be like being racist to one of his own?

<_<

How is it racist if you don't know its racist? Isn't racist intentions bad, not saying a word that could connote a racist meaning even though you didn't mean to be racist? I don't understand this, I call my Indian/Paki friends monkeys, am I being racist?

Not unless they are black. We call kids in Scotland wee monkeys and I'm sure the same is true of plenty of other countries but calling a black guy a monkey is akin to calling him the n word.
Obviously white and asian people aren't going to be offended but a slur aimed at black people but Harbhajan knew exactly who he was talking to.
Incidentally in Britain the word "paki" is considered deeply racist and I know we've had cultural misunderstandings over the use of the term on this forum in the past but I don't think it is overly politically correct to ask members not to use a term that may not offensive to them but is certainly offensive to a great many people in other countries.

Good question. If a black man refers to himself and others in a derogotary manner is he being racist?

Some rappers have argued not but it's being seen increasingly as more and more unacceptable.

Also, consider Harbhajan himself is brown skinned. So calling Symonds a monkey, I mean, wouldn't it be like being racist to one of his own?

There's a big difference between brown and black. Historically the brown and white people have been the slave traders and the blacks have been the slaves. The entire East African slave trade was run by "brown" people.

Yeah many people do consider "Paki" to be an offensive term and I have told new members who have said that it is not welcome. Generally they have always been shocked but co-operative as many don't see anything wrong with it. I had never thought "wee monkey" could be deemed racist but looking at it now, I suppose it could.

Personally, I feel that the important factor is the response of the one who the comment is targeted at. If Symonds considers the term offensive when it is directed at him, then it is unacceptable to say it.

I have a very relaxed approach to language - I can't think of any work that could be aimed at me that I would find particularly offensive - they're just words. However, this doesn't give me the right to use words I don't find offensive against others who might.

Zora please stop using the term "paki" no more worse then calling a "black" a monkey.

its one of the things of black people calling each other the n word....

whereas if i call them that...they'll beat the crap out of me :p

Not all black people use the N word, mostly in USA, because of their racist-funny-type culture. It is also commonly used in hiphop, to describe the America Under KKK the christian terrorists.

Not all black people use the N word, mostly in USA, because of their racist-funny-type culture. It is also commonly used in hiphop, to describe the America Under KKK the christian terrorists.

almost every rapper uses the word in almost every song :p

Snoop Dogg - Vato anyone ?? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread