It is here - finally - alpha 0.1 released!!!!

Looks awesome for a start.Although still haven't got hold of the controls properly but so far I am impressed with the bowling and batting details.I hope you guys continue the progress and make it the ultimate cricket game for us :)

All hail JK and LM.

Great LM and JK, the alpha is great.. really additive game. Animations are of top notch.. hats off to Jk - admiring your work frame by frame. I am really proud that i too worked for this game sometime ago.

Really wanted to work in this project again with my full effect.

After a long time being in PC... because of TAOC... :-)

Long time no speak! Would love to welcome you back - a lot of stadiums still need to be built :p

JK/LM, Made a video about the thing I was talking about. I realised, it is happening when we play a defensive shot. If we play aggressive, it hits some part of the body, and doesn't go on to the stumps.

I tried this myself last night - you're correct, couldn't make contact. So I started wondering why and it kind of makes sense. The flight is so crazy that it actually goes up and over the stumps, falling some distance behind. It doesn't look like much distance but if you go to a side angle (free cam) and look at the cursor in that spot it is actually quite behind the stumps. Everything looks closer from the default cam because of the camera's close field of view. So actually, nothing is wrong, the batsman should not be able to hit it - with those strokes available. In real life this would likely be a no ball (over waist height) or else you would pull it away for 6 ;)

<edit> On the ones that hit the stumps, the angle really is pretty crazy. Should really hit the batsman's body but there's no collision checking for his body yet so it's just passing through at that height. Again, once the other strokes are available to play, if the bowler does this kind of ball then you should pull it into the stands for six, cos that is what it deserves! ;)

Awesome Alpha!

But here are some scopes of improvements -

i. The Batsman and the Bowler should be breathing or practising shots instead of getting frozen

ii. The detail level varies from object to object in the same model which is ridiculous.

iii. It somewhy reminds me of Cricket Revolution

The graphics needs vast improvement and I hope LM will do what he said.

A suggestion for the developers -

Can Poser models be used in the game. They are ready-made and realistic!!!

* the breathing/idle animations are going to be revamped (they were in there) but were left out this release. Poser models are great, but crazily high polycount. Simply not practical for games. Unless you have a supercomputer. But dont worry, we have the model improvements covered.

Enjoying how easy the kits are to make (I have the england and australia test kits on my version now! :D). Which leads me to my next point, obviously with no copyrights, there will be a few unlicensed teams in this, fine.

When we come to mod the hell out of this game, will it be as simple as this, just put a folder containing team info, kits, pads etc into the root directory? and will we be able to add as many teams as we like?
Finally could there be a folder system set-up so we could create our own categories (e.g. International, End Domestic, India Domestic, Aus Domestic etc...?)

btw am I the only one getting along fine with a touchpad mouse and laptop?

Yes, remember the original goals of the game? Everything would be editable, just as easy as this. And everything is unlimited - you could add as many teams or competitions or bats or whatever as you like.

Fantastic.

Really, really great :clap.

I've been a long-time supporter of this project, and have been impressed at every feature-list, news update and gameplay video, but this Alpha has exceeded my expectations.

It runs smoothly on "Good" on my fairly sucky laptop, but this may change when there's 13+ more models on the pitch, plus the AI logic etc going on in the background, so a hardware upgrade may be in order for me before a full release!

The basics are done brilliantly, the batting works very well and the bowling has a lot of variation, and this is a stripped-down alpha without a big chunk of the game implemented!

My feedback at the minute would be that there may be a little too much bounce - you need to pitch the ball up quite far to hit the stumps. Also, the edges and rebounds off the pads are not great. Both of these may be down to it being an alpha though!

It just feels like cricket, and that's a first for a 3D playable game, so hats off to LM and any others involved!

Madman! Welcome back! Great to see you. Yeah, you were around pretty much from the beginning if my memory serves me correctly? Long time supporter and loyalist :) Glad you're liking things! Agree on the bounce - had been addressed - it's one of those things that needs endless tweaking to get right. Edges and mishits not yet fully implemented. Pad deflections need to have the pace taken off a bit against pacers. I found they react really well to spinners.

Last edited:
It really is pretty good, bloody hard but good!

Well done on getting it, I think the key is frequent releases to stop it going stagnant but well done.

It really is pretty good, bloody hard but good!

Well done on getting it, I think the key is frequent releases to stop it going stagnant but well done.

Nice to see you again!

Aha, that's our plan...alpha 0.2, then 0.3 then the final alpha. Definitely a staged release.

Last edited:
I have a mac as well but I'd imagine it would be easy enough to run it using parallels or some similar method

I am on a Mac too but I don't think it would work too well on Parallels or VMWare! Currently, I play it on my Windows install on bootcamp!

Would be excited if there are plans for a release for the Mac too :D

Brilliant stuff LM and JK, very impressive for first look.
Will post more about it after spending some time on it.

There is this 1 more thing I noticed while playing with different graphic settings.

If I run it on Simple or above modes, all the stuff is relatively slower than what it is at 'Fastest'(e.g. when you press Spacebar to increase the speed/flight it goes gradually in 'Simple' but in 'Fastest' it.. well.. skips the bar and reaches the top) which means the big ball which denotes how much the ball will spin/cut also rotates slower than what it would on 'Fastest' hence resulting in lesser spin.

My point is, speed of the game shouldn't decide how much a bowler can spin the ball.

There is this 1 more thing I noticed while playing with different graphic settings.

If I run it on Simple or above modes, all the stuff is relatively slower than what it is at 'Fastest'(e.g. when you press Spacebar to increase the speed/flight it goes gradually in 'Simple' but in 'Fastest' it.. well.. skips the bar and reaches the top) which means the big ball which denotes how much the ball will spin/cut also rotates slower than what it would on 'Fastest' hence resulting in lesser spin.

My point is, speed of the game shouldn't decide how much a bowler can spin the ball.

This is likely due to frame rate. You can confirm this by using FRAPS. If it's not getting around 60FPS then all aspects will be lagging including physics calculations. I am certainly going to look into this though to see if there's something I can do. Please let me know your results from FRAPS if you can. I expect your 'fastest' setting is 60FPS and the higher modes are under 60. If your 'fastest' setting is over 60FPS then we may have a problem on our hands - or related to vsync. The solution would be to 'hard' force vsync for all gfx modes. Or you can manually turn on vsync through your gfx card settings (e.g. Nvidia control panel etc)

Last edited:
This game is really addictive. More I play ,more I became stunned by the realistic possibilities of the bowling. Can't comment about batting since footwork is not implemented.

I have a nvidia 260 gtx desktop and ati HD5650 laptop and I notice some differences while playing on both. Spinning time of the bowling cursor is noticeably less in ati card and I think the turn is also somewhat less in ati card. There is also slight differences in the physics department.

Users who are viewing this thread