It's the end of the world......

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
....well not quite but a US government accounting office report is suggesting that the GPS system may start to fail as early as next year.

The GPS system is maintained by the US Airforce which is behind with satellite launches and has "budget problems".

Currently there are 24 satellites in orbit (I think) and 50% are past their sell-by dates. The probability of the GPS system remaining reliable into 2017 is as low as 10%.

Typical, I only got satnav this year and it looks like its already doomed to failure! How will I find my way home now :D

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
We don't have it so it won't affect us.

Although, it would be handy when we drive back to Bristol to visit my family.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I was literally just in the shower thinking about how amazing it is and how if I pass my test it will be so useful. Time for an entrepreneur like my good self to launch a few satellites and make some cash.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I was literally just in the shower thinking about how amazing it is and how if I pass my test it will be so useful. Time for an entrepreneur like my good self to launch a few satellites and make some cash.

Yay, fox was in the shower.

two%20thumbs%20up.jpeg

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Having a bit of a shower rave to Warriors may I add. :banana2

I can't believe sat nav won't work, surely the Chinese can send a few things up, they can do anything and it will help them on their path to global domination :D

Abhas

Retired Administrator
You'll have to learn Chinese then, I'm afraid. In the quest of World Domination, they would want their language to be at the top as well ;)

It's sad news honestly.. i bought the HTC Touch Pro for its GPS!
Time for Google to consolidate !

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
In latest news, Apple launches the new iGPS system, challenging to take over market share from the US Airforce. The iGPS system works on all iDevices, and uses the Safari Web Browser interface for acquiring GPS data from the satellites. It also uses the Mac OS, as you must have seen in the I'm a PC ads, which is much more virus free and it makes sure that your iGPS device is as secure as possible. Apple has received the patent for the iGPS device and is waiting on the EU to respond to the lawsuit it has filed against the US Airforce for patent infringement.

Sorry, just couldn't help it...

Oh and btw, for the real news,

DailyTech - Air Force Responds to GPS System Vulnerabilities

Users who are viewing this thread