Kevin Pietersen

Fair points Stevie. My only concern would be whether Pietersen is a test-class batsman purely because he is unproven at the longer format. Having said that, so was Strauss, but that was an injury call-up for a virtual unknown. KP is now (inter)national news and the pressure will be that much greater.

I would still go for Butcher, with KP in reserve. Possibly negative tactics, but I am not willing to write Butch off just yet.

Without Butcher though, my argument falls flat. Key has his moments, but is very inconsistent and I think the pressure may get to him in the same way it did with Hick The question is then "If not KP? then who?" and I really don't know.

I have to admit i would rule butcher out, i just think you have to be ruthless sometimes in team selection, just look at Australia.

Pieterson is defintly not just a one day player. His first class record so far is exemplary, with a high score of 254 and an average of 54. Whether he will make it at the top lvl in Test cricket remaiins to be seen, but my money is on him making the transition as easily as he did in the one day version of the game.

FishBowlMan said:
Fair points Stevie. My only concern would be whether Pietersen is a test-class batsman purely because he is unproven at the longer format. Having said that, so was Strauss, but that was an injury call-up for a virtual unknown. KP is now (inter)national news and the pressure will be that much greater.

I would still go for Butcher, with KP in reserve. Possibly negative tactics, but I am not willing to write Butch off just yet.

Without Butcher though, my argument falls flat. Key has his moments, but is very inconsistent and I think the pressure may get to him in the same way it did with Hick The question is then "If not KP? then who?" and I really don't know.

an average of 55 in first class disproves the first part of that

Sureshot said:
an average of 55 in first class disproves the first part of that
My mistake. I should have clarified:

My only concern would be whether Pietersen is a test-class batsman purely because he is unproven at the longer format at international level.

Dont think can rule out BUTCHER so soon. He has been their one of the succsess of their 2004 sojourn .Also cant help but not forget bout his majestic single handed innings against the Aussies in the last England held ASH... So what if the match was a dead rubber nobody else did the trick. Also i think aginst bowling atack of likes og aussies they need someone to stay out there for a time period .I dont see anybody in the current scheme including Pieterson who can do thatexcept BUTCHER and THORPE.

dont overlook ian bell too. 70 on test debut and is a capable bowler too

Yeh, we've got plenty of talented batsman in England, we need more back up bowlers though. If Harmison, Hoggard, Jones or Giles get injured, we have Anderson, who is shot to pieces at the moment, Jon Lewis, now whilst i'm a Gloucestershire fan, he's not the sort of bowler who the opposition will fear at International level. Gareth Batty, i've made my feelings pretty clear on him in another thread, but he's not international standard. If we're going to become the best team in world cricket, we need back up in every department, like the Australians have. Anyway, back to KP, he showed his class for me in the final ODI, 60 odd for 6, he still made a century, and guided us to a amazing total considering the situation we were in early in the innings.

stevie said:
Yeh, we've got plenty of talented batsman in England, we need more back up bowlers though. If Harmison, Hoggard, Jones or Giles get injured, we have Anderson, who is shot to pieces at the moment, Jon Lewis, now whilst i'm a Gloucestershire fan, he's not the sort of bowler who the opposition will fear at International level. Gareth Batty, i've made my feelings pretty clear on him in another thread, but he's not international standard. If we're going to become the best team in world cricket, we need back up in every department, like the Australians have. Anyway, back to KP, he showed his class for me in the final ODI, 60 odd for 6, he still made a century, and guided us to a amazing total considering the situation we were in early in the innings.
Kabir Ali....well thats all I can think of for now.......Staurt Law maybe?

Vaughn isn't that great a captain

themuel1 said:
Yeah, thats what i meant

Blink 182, vaughan's batting has deteriorated,however, i don't think his time has passed, he just needs to spend time in the nets over the coming months. He's a great captain and seems to have a big influence on the side. You need him in the side for that alone.
Trescothick had a crap time in the west indies and in the south african ODI's, yet he was not dropped. He is no where near a good captain as Vaughan.

i think nasseer hussain would hav been a better captain then what vaughn is if he woz the leader of this current team.
it is nice to see vaughn failing though because he's a cocky player.

Sureshot said:
37 this year no chance
I was about to laugh and say "you can't have him! he's our reject!" but when you think about it... his last five years of County cricket have been pretty good, so there wouldn't be any statistics to say he's not good enough to play... age alone is not enough really, great players don't loose their eye and most are well on top of their fitness these days.

Just a thought.

angryangy said:
I was about to laugh and say "you can't have him! he's our reject!" but when you think about it... his last five years of County cricket have been pretty good, so there wouldn't be any statistics to say he's not good enough to play... age alone is not enough really, great players don't loose their eye and most are well on top of their fitness these days.

Just a thought.
As big a fan as I am of Stuart Law, I think the only way he'd play for England would be in a serious injury crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread